The New Raith Rovers Thread

9 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

What a bizarre way of looking at it. Smith’s organisational ability is his strong point, he’s not “making it all about him”. There are a lot of aspects of Smith’s game that you could pick holes in, but making a case against him for trying to organise the side before taking a free kick, without even knowing what he was saying, instead of just humping it forwards, is just downright odd.

There was a guy on the horrific Facebook page having a go at Smith for not communicating enough.

communication is the guys strong point 

What a bizarre way of looking at it. Smith’s organisational ability is his strong point, he’s not “making it all about him”. There are a lot of aspects of Smith’s game that you could pick holes in, but making a case against him for trying to organise the side before taking a free kick, without even knowing what he was saying, instead of just humping it forwards, is just downright odd.

What I'm getting at was, it's OK when we are winning well or we have plenty of time left, the bases were all loaded and he was just wasting our own time with unnecessary pish he wasted a good ten seconds when there was little or no time left....and I'll have you know that I am down right odd.

2 minutes ago, RRFC2711 said:

What I'm getting at was, it's OK when we are winning well or we have plenty of time left, the bases were all loaded and he was just wasting our own time with unnecessary pish he wasted a good ten seconds when there was little or no time left....and I'll have you know that I am down right odd.

Image result for testify gif

Communication, communication if he would communicate with his head and his defence i could see this as great strength....but he just shouts a lot. Also watching him hang players out to dry by making the wrong decision is NOT communicating properly e.g. Davo at Forfar and Dumbarton his lack of communication got Davo sent off at Forfar and we conceded  the penalty, don't be fooled by his big blabbering mouth...dreadful keeper...get shot quick.

17 hours ago, RRFC2711 said:

Communication, communication if he would communicate with his head and his defence i could see this as great strength....but he just shouts a lot. Also watching him hang players out to dry by making the wrong decision is NOT communicating properly e.g. Davo at Forfar and Dumbarton his lack of communication got Davo sent off at Forfar and we conceded  the penalty, don't be fooled by his big blabbering mouth...dreadful keeper...get shot quick.

Yeah, up at Coatbridge he just screamed the word 'organise' over and over. The only time he stopped was when he tried to play football, fucked up and conceded the opening goal. He was quiet for all of the time it took to kick off again and he was back to screaming 'organise' again.

Seems no one, other than Barry Smith, reckons ( and agrees!!)  G Smith is guff. 

Surely the manager must get Lennox back asap.

There may be issues that none of us know about but one thing is clear to all....Smith can only be a stop gap keeper at Raith.

Dreadful to think we have  an able 'keeper  in young Brian available and is not being used.

It is quite evident too that the defence are nervy about him too., as he continues to  "throws them underthe bus"

Bit of an unnecessary mess really

Edited by Wee Sandy

I understand the hesitancy towards using Brian.  He’s a young lad, and goalkeeper is a unique position in that mistakes are almost always punished by goals.  A young centre back, full back, midfielder etc can make mistakes without them being overly costly, and they have a bit more room to develop in that sense.  A goalkeepers confidence can be absolutely destroyed by mistakes.  Laidlaw is a good example, he is now good for a clanger most times he plays.  It’s a difficult one, as these guys will only develop with game time – but this is a high pressure season for us with a huge level of expectation.

However, something isn’t right just now re Lennox.  If Lennox isn’t fit, he shouldn’t be on the bench.  We cant afford to have players on the bench who aren’t 100% fit, and Smith was happy to use Brian as cover when Lennox was out.  We’ve been stung enough with injured goalkeepers, and I’d much rather a fully fit Brian is brought off the bench than a half fit Lennox. If Lennox is fit, then he should be starting.  Something isnt right there, somewhere.

32 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

It’s a difficult one, as these guys will only develop with game time – but this is a high pressure season for us with a huge level of expectation.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Our lack of squad size will be our downfall this season unfortunately, whether the club have the finances to look at bringing in some fresh faces in January remains to be seen however if we're going to stick with what we have then I think we'll fall short on winning the league imo. I've no doubt we'll finish in the top 4 but we're not exactly great in a playoff situation either.

10 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

I hope Mr Sim is paying attention.

FalkirkP Brechin CityP

Match postponed - Frozen Pitch

Alloa AthleticP ArbroathP

Match postponed - Frozen Pitch

Your point on plastic pitches is wrong though. How many Alloa games get called off normally? Much less than those in Kirkaldy because the pitch maximises the weather you can play in.  Just this week the mix of plenty of rain and sub -5C temperatures has combined to make our pitch unplayable. Likely tomorrow with the rain and higher temperatures it will be playable or it better be since I'm hopefully playing on Sunday night.