The New Raith Rovers Thread

One of the biggest disappointments of last season was Court not getting pretty much any game time. I think if he’s been given a run in the team he’d have been effective - certainly more so than Buchanan and Spence. As it was, he was flung on with ten to go and we were chasing the game, hardly the type of match environment where he could make a sustained impact. Good luck to
him at East Fife.

Everyone was calling from the stands for Court to get a game but in a team that had an abundance of attacking players, he couldn't cut it to get on ahead of them. As much as Barry Smiths tactics etc made us all question his managerial ability, Ive got to trust him on selecting the players that he feels are best for the job on what he sees at training.

I'm sure if Smith felt that Court would be the one to score or create goals then he'd have played him as he doesn't want to lose games.

Court was favoured by us all because he chased down balls, put himself about and looked like he was always trying his best. Great traits for players to have but it's always easy for a player with limited ability to hide behind the fact that they chased down a nothing ball or jumped up against the big bully centre back.

At 22 years old, he was struggling to get a game for the lowest ranked full time team in Scotland, there's only one way that he could go and unfortunately for him he's maybe found his level.

As much as Barry Smiths tactics etc made us all question his managerial ability, Ive got to trust him on selecting the players that he feels are best for the job on what he sees at training.

The same Barry Smith who was so good at picking players based on training that he seemingly couldn’t wait to drop McKay in favour of a completely unfit Bene?

The same Barry Smith who was so good at picking players based on training that he seemingly couldn’t wait to drop McKay in favour of a completely unfit Bene?

McKay is a great player and an exciting prospect. In hindsight if an inexperienced player like McKay made a number of errors that ended up costing us the league, whilst an experienced player like Bene was on the bench, we'd have had just as much of a go at Smith for doing that and we'd have killed a young lads confidence. Bene didn't cut the mustard but Smith put his trust in him. I'm almost 100% sure that we'd have all done the same considering we were all desperate for him to get fit as quickly as he could so he could get back into the team. It just didn't work out the way we'd all have liked.

13 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Everyone was calling from the stands for Court to get a game but in a team that had an abundance of attacking players, he couldn't cut it to get on ahead of them. As much as Barry Smiths tactics etc made us all question his managerial ability, Ive got to trust him on selecting the players that he feels are best for the job on what he sees at training.

I'm sure if Smith felt that Court would be the one to score or create goals then he'd have played him as he doesn't want to lose games.

Court was favoured by us all because he chased down balls, put himself about and looked like he was always trying his best. Great traits for players to have but it's always easy for a player with limited ability to hide behind the fact that they chased down a nothing ball or jumped up against the big bully centre back.

At 22 years old, he was struggling to get a game for the lowest ranked full time team in Scotland, there's only one way that he could go and unfortunately for him he's maybe found his level.

I wasn't that fussed about Court to be honest. He had some decent games at the end of the season before last, but hardly standout. He charged about, used his body, but in front of goal wasn't much special. I wasn't surprised at all he left us - I don't think he'll cut it and I think part time or juniors is prob his level.

5 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

McKay is a great player and an exciting prospect. In hindsight if an inexperienced player like McKay made a number of errors that ended up costing us the league, whilst an experienced player like Bene was on the bench, we'd have had just as much of a go at Smith for doing that and we'd have killed a young lads confidence. Bene didn't cut the mustard but Smith put his trust in him. I'm almost 100% sure that we'd have all done the same considering we were all desperate for him to get fit as quickly as he could so he could get back into the team. It just didn't work out the way we'd all have liked.

To be fair to Smith, I think he said he wanted to protect the young players a bit as well. He'd only give them maybe 2 or 3 games, then a rest for a week, then back in - he certainly did it with McKay and Robertson. Which is fair enough I suppose given the jump in ability and fitness from development football to proper league football.

To be fair to Smith, I think he said he wanted to protect the young players a bit as well. He'd only give them maybe 2 or 3 games, then a rest for a week, then back in - he certainly did it with McKay and Robertson. Which is fair enough I suppose given the jump in ability and fitness from development football to proper league football.

Exactly! Some folk seem to think that as soon as a young lad makes his debut, the best thing to do is throw them in every week and pile the world on to their shoulders.

Young players are raw and need time to develop. Throwing them in at the deep end doesn't work. Game time is important but in dribs and drabs. I think Fergie famously made sure he only played players like Scholes, Beckham and Giggs a handful of times over first few seasons.

I always feel sorry for the youth players we had that came in after the Anelka period. Guys thrown in well above their level getting hammered every week. Sometimes wonder how many players we let down that season who could have had a bright future in the game.

This is now the real weather dependent part in the process for laying the pitch. Better hope the winds die down as the underlay & carpet lifts even in slight breeze. We had big issues with that this time last season. The installers will be  told not to try & catch the underlay or carpet if the wind catches it or they'll end up paragliding  down Pratt Street. Then the sand layer can only go down if it is bone dry, same with the rubber crumb as if they get wet they go down in clumps which are difficult to sort out later & can clog up the machine. Just hope for a dry, wind free next 4 weeks.

Edited by LiamA

7 minutes ago, LiamA said:

Then the sand layer can only go down if it is bone dry, same with the rubber crumb as if they get wet they go down in clumps which are difficult to sort out later & can clog up the machine. 

Sounds like my wife's attempt at making a cheesecake.

10 minutes ago, LiamA said:

This is now the real weather dependent part in the process for laying the pitch. Better hope the winds die down as the underlay & carpet lifts even in slight breeze. We had big issues with that this time last season. The installers will be  told not to try & catch the underlay or carpet if the wind catches it or they'll end up paragliding  down Pratt Street. Then the sand layer can only go down if it is bone dry, same with the rubber crumb as if they get wet they go down in clumps which are difficult to sort out later & can clog up the machine. Just hope for a dry, wind free next 4 weeks.

You're a right cheerie c**t.

12 minutes ago, LiamA said:

Sounds like we need another 4 weeks similar to what we've just had then. Highly unlikely...

Should of stuck with grass.