The New Raith Rovers Thread

Davidson can't have any excuse. I remember at the Alloa game after 15 mins everyone saying "he's going off tonight" and it happened. We cannot afford such a liability in our squad but I cannot see anyone else taking him and we certainly can't afford to release him so unless he wants to go or retire he's here to stay.

However what we can do is negate his effect and put a young guy like McKay in who is one of the best defensive prospects we've had in a long time. He's still young and will make the odd mistake or two but I feel far more confident with him at the back than a Davidson and Bene partnership.

I heard Davidson was arguing with players when going off... any truth?

Great result yesterday but I think the players are well aware standards have been below what they should be for a full time squad, As for Smith it was obvious Davidson would be brought back in and it’s no ones fault apart from Davo that he was sent off and even Smith could not have foreseen that happening however McKay should have kept his place in the team without a doubt. It was like last season we were playing consistently well  and winning games but as soon as Benedictus was deemed fit McKay was dropped this in my opinion was one of the reason we lost the league along with playing McHattie at Somerset when again he was clearly unfit and also Vaughan playing in midfield when really Hendry should have been playing weeks previously.

I still believe there are funds available but I think the board are reluctant to hand them over to Smith just yet but it may change at the next window but we are still short of at least 2 players another midfielder and a right winger 

Great result yesterday but I think the players are well aware standards have been below what they should be for a full time squad, As for Smith it was obvious Davidson would be brought back in and it’s no ones fault apart from Davo that he was sent off and even Smith could not have foreseen that happening however McKay should have kept his place in the team without a doubt. It was like last season we were playing consistently well  and winning games but as soon as Benedictus was deemed fit McKay was dropped this in my opinion was one of the reason we lost the league along with playing McHattie at Somerset when again he was clearly unfit and also Vaughan playing in midfield when really Hendry should have been playing weeks previously.
I still believe there are funds available but I think the board are reluctant to hand them over to Smith just yet but it may change at the next window but we are still short of at least 2 players another midfielder and a right winger 

Would agree we need two more signings and one has to be a right winger. However, I think the other has to be full back cover. It’s a big ask for Watson to come in and play 36 games at a high standard having barely played before this season.

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Would agree we need two more signings and one has to be a right winger. However, I think the other has to be full back cover. It’s a big ask for Watson to come in and play 36 games at a high standard having barely played before this season.

Talking of which, any word on the injuries to Bene and Matthews or is it emergency loan time?

Heard the guys on the radio praising Zanatta yesterday, now on loan at Alloa, also commented that he must be the most loaned player in Scotland :lol: even wee Boaby scored for Dumbarton yesterday. Just waiting for Spence to go on a run of banging them in :rolleyes:

On 8/25/2018 at 16:46, Rovers2017 said:

I have to agree with everyone's comments here. Smith needs to go to give us a chance to salvage any chance of winning this league. 

Arbroath are off to a flying start, that's four games of the league done now and we've mustered 5 points. I know there's over 30 games left but I can't see us beating Arbroath and Dumbarton much this season. 

eh ?

That result yesterday was a kick in the teeth for the Smith out fans. We created nothing until a fluke first goal from a poor pass back. Watson was run ragged for most of that match. From the managers after match interview it is quite clear how he will continue to play 442. Coming out with the phrase of "having  to take risks with 3 at the back says it all. The phrase "papering over the cracks " is entirely relevant with  this result. 

15 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

That result yesterday was a kick in the teeth for the Smith out fans. We created nothing until a fluke first goal from a poor pass back. Watson was run ragged for most of that match. From the managers after match interview it is quite clear how he will continue to play 442. Coming out with the phrase of "having  to take risks with 3 at the back says it all. The phrase "papering over the cracks " is entirely relevant with  this result. 

Tbf, Buchanan had fluffed a pretty decent chance in the first half and hit the bar prior to the goal in the second before the goal. Granted it was a sloppy pass back, but Rovers were pressing pretty well at that point and left Conroy no where to play but backwards. Some fortune involved but we at least were doing the right things to force a mistake.

As bad as we were in the first, we at least started the 2nd with a far better tempo, and a better pressing game, and we created a really good chance through Gillespie and forced a few dead balls over a fairly flighty and ill composed Airdrie defence. 

4 minutes ago, renton said:

Tbf, Buchanan had fluffed a pretty decent chance in the first half and hit the bar prior to the goal in the second before the goal. Granted it was a sloppy pass back, but Rovers were pressing pretty well at that point and left Conroy no where to play but backwards. Some fortune involved but we at least were doing the right things to force a mistake.

As bad as we were in the first, we at least started the 2nd with a far better tempo, and a better pressing game, and we created a really good chance through Gillespie and forced a few dead balls over a fairly flighty and ill composed Airdrie defence. 

Agree to a point but the alarming aspect is he is so set on this 442. 

Finally someone who actually seemed to be watching the game!!

Can you fully explain the concept of the 4-4-2 for me? It's benefits and the problems it causes? I'd be fascinated to know your take on this and why it has such a massive influence on why you hate that formation and the manager who plays it.

If you could do it without googling it then that would be even better?

5 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

Can you fully explain the concept of the 4-4-2 for me? It's benefits and the problems it causes? I'd be fascinated to know your take on this and why it has such a massive influence on why you hate that formation and the manager who plays it.

If you could do it without googling it then that would be even better?

Give it a rest.

Please.

16 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

True, having said that either Nisbet or Vaughan in at right midfield and suddenly its a more fluid and versatile thing that works more like a front 3. Worked reasonably well for spells early last season, and with any luck we can keep our central midfield fit enough to avoid putting our best attacker in there.

As I touched on after the game on here, Buchanan needs to be getting into those positions every week.  It's the first time we've really seen him look like a fully clinical poacher. We put the pressure on, and as mentioned Conroy only had one route to go. Hopefully we can do this far more often. 

At the moment, 4-4-2 is a problem because of the players for the line up. Once we get Vaughan back, ideally we can put him at left midfield like we did at the start of last season. Until that point, I'd be quite happy if we moved to a 4-3-3. Put Matthews, Gillespie and Wedderburn in the middle, with Buchanan up top with Flanangan and Nisbet in wider roles. 

Buchanan has always been a penalty box striker. Asking him to do the work he's been asked to do for the past year is always going to affect his game.

352 Wright mckay bene murray Watson valentine Nat flannagan/milne (cam) Gillespie Vaughan nesbit.

442 Wright Watson mckay bene murray Vaughan Gillespie Nat flannagan duggan nesbit.

433/451 Wright Watson mckay bene murray gillespie Nat Matthews Vaughan nesbit Flanagan.

Granted we have to get all of those players fit, but on paper that's three formations we could play with what we have available. You can easily interchange personnel where needed.

We will continue to see a 442 that doesn't suit what we have available week in and week out though.