The New Raith Rovers Thread

13 hours ago, Michael W said:

Well, East Fife finally beat us. Can we now win some play-off games?

Hard to know what room for manoeuvre he has as I imagine we may have to let someone go, but I hope we can get a RB in. 

In the meantime, we really need to ensure we don't lose more ground. 

Yeah, in hindsight the Crane signing looks to be a mistake, he’s been at best okay since he signed but Murray was also competent at left back and looks clueless at right back. Young Jamie Watson is not ready either. Signing a right back would have been the better option.

As you rightly point out, people discuss the attacking injuries we have but the defence is where the issues are. We have conceded 20 goals in 9 away games this season which is pretty terrible. You’re going nowhere conceding on average 2 goals a game away from home. 

Our defensive record at home is better but we have still only kept 2 clean sheets all season. It’s an issue that we need to sort and whilst getting the likes of Vaughan, Hendry, Duggan and Gillespie back no doubt help the team massively, they won’t solve the defensive issues. 

4 minutes ago, tigger said:

Beg to differ. Hendry did a lot of backtracking as did Gillespie so gave defence a little bit of cover. Vaughan as well

Not saying they aren’t good defensively. Gillespie in particular is but is he much better defensively than Matthews or Wedderburn? I’d say that’s a pretty defensive central midfield which in fairness may be part of the issue.

The players returning will add an attacking threat which should in theory ensure we have to defend less which should help but they’re not going to solve all our problems. Anyone who thinks that is extremely optimistic or totally naive. 

I think a new right back is essential. McGlynn’s interview was spot on yesterday, he knows where the issues are and I have faith he’ll solve it given more time to work with the players and add a few more of his own.

Tight defence and fitness/scoring late goals were the hallmark of McGlynns teams last time around so the current issues will frustrate him more than anyone.

5 hours ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

East fife was my first away game in a while. I go to all home games but looking to get to away games more often. Does anyone know of any information on supporters buses from Glenrothes (1st choice) or anywhere else?

This was the pick up for the Forfar game.

Dalgety Bay Railway Halt – 12:15pm
Kirkton Burntisland – 12:25pm
Kinghorn Memorial – 12:30pm
Novar Bar – 12:35pm
Mormon Church – 12:42pm
Brodick Road Templehall – 12:45pm
Pinkertons – 1pm

This was the pick up for the Dumbarton Game.

Pinkertons Glenrothes 12noon
Brodick Road Templehall 12:15pm
Mormon Church 12:17pm
Novar Bar 12:25pm
Kinghorn Memorial 12:30pm
Kirkton Burntisland 12:35pm
Dalgety Bay Railway Halt 12:45pm

To book please contact 07888747883, text preferred, with your name and desired pick up point.

1 hour ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I feel that I already know the answer but did anything ever happen about compo from Bates' move to Hamburg? 

Eric Drysdale came across as being vindicated around about this time.

Believe we were due compo under a UEFA ruling but would come from his previous club The Rangers who havent got a great record on paying its debts

If we got anything It,ll be hidden under  miscellanous items in the next set of  accounts

2 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Believe we were due compo under a UEFA ruling but would come from his previous club The Rangers who havent got a great record on paying its debts

If we got anything It,ll be hidden under  miscellanous items* in the next set of  accounts

*Inflatable players. 

2 hours ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

I feel that I already know the answer but did anything ever happen about compo from Bates' move to Hamburg? 

Eric Drysdale came across as being vindicated around about this time.

This might be a whoosh but anything we got was from UEFA development fees, which we would've got anyway had Bates moved for a fee. Drysdale put up a tweet where he claimed to have some responsibility for this but it was complete bollocks and mental gymnastics to try to justify one of the failures of his final season. My old flatmate supports a club in Spain where Kepa, who plays for Chelsea, went on loan. Because he played 20 games, and with the absurd fees of the Premier League, they got about €900k. Similarly, we got a similar (albeit far reduced) fee when Jonny Russell left Dundee United for his developement. 

The funny thing with Bates is that while he looked solid, I genuinely believe we have a similar quality youth player sitting on our bench in Dave McKay. Obviously Bates will have learned lots from his time since Rovers, but I'd far rather that we started giving him game time where possible. Ironically, the performance where we strolled it defensively this season was with Wedderburn and McKay at the back. Both worked exceptionally hard, and McKay could cover Nat's lack of pace. Both showed excellent distribution too.