The New Raith Rovers Thread

24 minutes ago, JinglinGeordie said:

Most in the UK outwith Man City, TNS and Connah’s Quay*

Doesn’t sound as sexy now does it?

Thought it was UK wide, but it's actually in Scotland and the top four in England the Rovers put on twitter. Not that anyone pays any attention to the bumpkin leagues of Wales and the failed statelet of Northern Ireland anyway...

3 hours ago, Tony Stark(s Park) said:

As well as Duggan is leading the line! I think he will take his chance, hopefully giving McGlynn a massive headache in team selection, a problem which we would all welcome.

Duggan seems to to have more of a physical presence than Nisbet. I would have liked to have seen Jack Smith given some game time on Saturday he looked pretty good the last time he was given a shot.

30 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Thought it was UK wide, but it's actually in Scotland and the top four in England the Rovers put on twitter. Not that anyone pays any attention to the bumpkin leagues of Wales and the failed statelet of Northern Ireland anyway...

Not like we invite them to join a domestic cup :lol:

5 hours ago, Raithie said:

He moved to a Premiership club, it's probably done him the world of good getting that experience. I'd take him back.

Unless they have managed to teach him not to be a complete shithawk after he makes a mistake, stay well clear. 

How he got that move is anyone's guess, frankly. 

Unless they have managed to teach him not to be a complete shithawk after he makes a mistake, stay well clear. 
Grant Murray? He's got all the attributes to be a good 'keeper but his confidence hangs on a knife edge. I would take him back though. Good shot stopper the same as Thomson but he was better with crosses than Thomson is.

1 minute ago, grumswall said:
13 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Grant Murray? He's got all the attributes to be a good 'keeper but his confidence hangs on a knife edge. I would take him back though. Good shot stopper the same as Thomson but he was better with crosses than Thomson is.

His biggest problem is he likes a drag back in the 6 yard box against a striker coming in at Mach 3.

A few hibees fans at my work have said he’s rank and i watched him a couple of times when hibs were on the telly and he was terrible.. pretty sure they got pumped at hampden and he was at fault for pretty much all the goals.

before he left I thought he did ok for us when he got a run in the squad. I remember he had a blinder against hibs when we beat them in the Scottish . Problem we’ve had with recent keepers are they are small (apart from Lennox but injuries dented any progress he made) whereas laidlaw is tall.... that’s about as far as my compliments go for laidlaw.. 

9 minutes ago, Holy Marv said:

A few hibees fans at my work have said he’s rank and i watched him a couple of times when hibs were on the telly and he was terrible.. pretty sure they got pumped at hampden and he was at fault for pretty much all the goals.

before he left I thought he did ok for us when he got a run in the squad. I remember he had a blinder against hibs when we beat them in the Scottish . Problem we’ve had with recent keepers are they are small (apart from Lennox but injuries dented any progress he made) whereas laidlaw is tall.... that’s about as far as my compliments go for laidlaw.. 

It must have gutted the laddie when Robinson came in, started leaking goals and we never won a game for six weeks.

Anybody that are seriously suggesting the return of Laidlaw need to cast their minds back to the 3-3 game at Starks against Cowden. The game where Cowden fans started referring to him as Laidlol.

He was directly at fault for all 3 goals that game

Wasn’t the only game but it’s the one that sticks in the memory for me.

Absolute clusterfuck of a goalkeeper.

2 hours ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Anybody that are seriously suggesting the return of Laidlaw need to cast their minds back to the 3-3 game at Starks against Cowden. The game where Cowden fans started referring to him as Laidlol.

He was directly at fault for all 3 goals that game

Wasn’t the only game but it’s the one that sticks in the memory for me.

Absolute clusterfuck of a goalkeeper.

Imagine bringing back someone to the club who never had faults.

On paper a good signing. If he's half as good as he once was, which he most likely isn't.

'keepers Union for me with laidlaw though. He has the right attributes to be a good 'keeper at this level. Would prefer better. But, can we get better for backup/ no1 at this level?

15 minutes ago, grumswall said:

On paper a good signing. If he's half as good as he once was, which he most likely isn't.

'keepers Union for me with laidlaw though. He has the right attributes to be a good 'keeper at this level. Would prefer better. But, can we get better for backup/ no1 at this level?

If he isn't better than Thomson he might aswell give up tbh.

Ross Laidlaw is nowhere near as bad as being made out.
Neither is Robbie Thomson.

I wouldn't want him back, mainly because I'd imagine he'd be looking for a bit more money than we should be spending on a second goalie, however at this level, he'd be more than fine.

Can I ask, which of our current squad of players, do you actually like?

Laidlaw is absolutely Brutal. Thomson’s actually a decent keeper.
I like Thomson and have defended him alot but I'd take the guy who conceded 5 goals against us on Saturday ahead of him! Smith is a very good 'keeper for this level.

Frank hates everything and everyone in case you hadn't noticed.

Andrew Driver you say... could be a very good signing... it’s one of those 6 months only, but if he turns out that he’s still decent give him another year before the summer/anyone else can sign him.
As for Laidlaw, what a flapper for a goalie, really good shot stopper, but also just saved stuff that any keeper should save and also didn’t save an awful lot of them either, was murder, and 9/10 folk on here were shocked he got a move to Hibs because of that reason.
Thomson, is fine, but as the season gets on, I just think he’s dodgy although not really done anything to fully prove that, but I’m not sure if it’s been down to the defence not quite clicking this year also.