The New Raith Rovers Thread

Yes. You're right. Its only one poor performance. :rolleyes::rolleyes: We're actually a great team that plays open attractive football that has people queing up at the turnstyles.

The lowest trick in debate, caricaturing with a ridiculous extreme. :rolleyes:

I could likewise caricature your position by claiming that we've been playing like today all season and havent been worthy of a goal, never mind a point. That's the absurdity of your post.

This is the business end of the season though. It's about results results results. For as much as we have improved, we still haven't won in over 2 months now.

We have lost that fighting spirit that made us tick. That, along side our great organisation, made us a decent team. Today I saw a team with no urgency and no shape what so ever.

It would be interesting to see what our points tally was at this stage ten years ago. That season is often looked back on as one of the worst in recent ish times, but i remember enjoying it more than this.

FromJanuary 2001

Hamilton SC L 0 - 1

ICT L L 0 - 5

St Mirren L W 1 - 0

Arbroath L D 0 - 0

Clyde L W 2 - 1

R, County L L 2 - 4

Partick L W 2 - 0

We've been pish in nearly every game since we won the derby against Pars around this time last year and I've been saying it ever since. I was never kidded. But I see today as an off day meeting a team that struck form - its been a long time since we've been so easily over run and I cant see it being a habit. Our previous three results were draws against the two teams at the top of the league and Morton away. This isnt La Liga - its about digging in and scrapping, which we're still capable of doing.

Bad as the performance and result was today I think we're over reacting to it. Its the worst we've played in a long time and the same players can do much better.

A fair comment and it's one that definitely has value. We've been better recently, even showing a bit of courage and dig to get the equaliser with Ross County last week, something that the team hadn't shown at all for most of the season. I really thought we were going to kick on a bit but today we've been demolished... it could easily be viewed in isolation. Or it could be a return to the pish we had for between September and January. Who knows?

One thing is for certain, we need to start picking up points, and we need to start doing it soon. And we're going to have to perform a lot better than we have for the vast majority of the season to do so...

We've been pish in nearly every game since we won the derby against Pars around this time last year and I've been saying it ever since. I was never kidded. But I see today as an off day meeting a team that struck form - its been a long time since we've been so easily over run and I cant see it being a habit. Our previous three results were draws against the two teams at the top of the league and Morton away. This isnt La Liga - its about digging in and scrapping, which we're still capable of doing.

Lets not make livi out to be anything special. Once they got 2 or 3 ahead they played well but they were absolutely there for the taking first half and we didn't even manage a shot on target. I've got no real faith we can finish above both queens and Ayr so we need to look at the teams above them and see if any of them are catchable. The next few weeks are huge for us. We know it, lets hope the players do as well.

Edited by Martin Nelson

One thing is for certain, we need to start picking up points, and we need to start doing it soon. And we're going to have to perform a lot better than we have for the vast majority of the season to do so...

As you say today stands out in isolation to how we've been since Clarke and Casa have arrived. The worry isnt so much todays debacle, its that Ayr and QOS are starting to show big improvements which we might not be able to match.

I agree with the worries about McGynn's ability to motivate players as well as alter tactics during a game, both of which were very evident today. I dont know how such a motivated team last season can be so lethargic now; maybe it was just a momentum thing that happened by itself. Or maybe the board has pissed the players off. Whataver, so often now we seem to be just going thru the motions. We dont look as fit as we did last season either, when we were fitter than most teams in the league.

I'm surprised there is talk of McGlynn getting the sack. Ultimately, Raith like Queens have had to make big cuts in their budget and that has taken its toll.

What big cuts have Raith had to make? I don't think Raith had a large budget last season at all but I also don't see where they have been massively depleted. Raith clearly overperformed last season and are now underperforming this season, but not by a massive amount given the wage budget available. If you sorted the table by wage budgets then Raith would probably be 7th or 8th. Last season was the exception, not the rule.

Edited by vikingTON

I agree with the worries about McGynn's ability to motivate players as well as alter tactics during a game, both of which were very evident today. I dont know how such a motivated team last season can be so lethargic now; maybe it was just a momentum thing that happened by itself. Or maybe the board has pissed the players off. Whataver, so often now we seem to be just going thru the motions. We dont look as fit as we did last season either, when we were fitter than most teams in the league.

I think there is a natural feeling of anti-climax after last season. This season was always going to be about treading water given our financial situation. We all feel that so I suspect the players feel it too. Add in the impact of cutting the squad and bringing in cheaper players then it's probably no great shock that we are down where we are. I do agree that in games like yesterday we seem to be fgoing through the motions. You could almost see the heads go down the minute we lost that first goal. It was dispiriting to watch. Hence the reason I left on 70 minutes.

What big cuts have Raith had to make? I don't think Raith had a large budget last season at all but I also don't see where they have been massively depleted. Raith clearly overperformed last season and are now underperforming this season, but not by a massive amount given the wage budget available. If you sorted the table by wage budgets then Raith would probably be 7th or 8th. Last season was the exception, not the rule.

I agree with the overachieving last season stuff, you'd be an idiot not to, but there was a noticeable drop in our budget this season. Simmons, Tade, Wilson and Campbell were four of our most established players/highest earners, replaced by Hamill and Graham. Weir, McNeil and Ferry also left with no replacement other than youngsters/short-term loans.

I'd have us down as eighth or maybe even ninth in the budget league but it's pure conjecture really, none of us really know. We are definitely underachieving a little in an out and out budget table though. A side containing Baird, Casalinuovo and Clarke should be moving up the table.

When we're relegated, i think we need to go back to being fully part time. McGlynn to see out this abortion of a season and leave with the rest of the players who's contracts are up. It was good while it lasted i suppose, i just want us to out with a bit of dignity. Mickey Cameron, its time to come home.

Yes. You're right. Its only one poor performance. :rolleyes::rolleyes: We're actually a great team that plays open attractive football that has people queing up at the turnstyles.

He's right though. That's the first time we've suffered a total humping this season.

The greater worry is we don't win enough games. We usually either draw games or lose/win by the odd goal. That was the case last season too.

And yet with us having a 3 pronged attack, are still doing nothing. We're second bottom without a prayer tbh.

Since Clarke and Casa started playing together we've had a 2-1 defeat to Morton in the cup, then draws with Morton (1-1 away), Falkirk (2-2 home) and Ross County (1-1 home). Yesterday was a sore one, but for all you know we could get a result on Tuesday.

Edited by Scary Bear

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, please don't, my sides. Too late they've been McGlynned.

We managed draws at Morton and Ayr, and a win at Partick. What happened in those games?

We also managed a draw on our last visit to Hamilton.

Edited by Scary Bear

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, please don't, my sides. Too late they've been McGlynned.

Why not, we've already drawn 2-2 there and beat them at Stark's more comfortably than 3-2 suggests. Despite being without Willaimson and Davo I think the team can pick itself up and put in a good shift. I'm not adopting this defeatest attitude just because of one bad day.

We just look like a team with no idea what they're doing. Midfield is a shambles and our severe lack of both width and pace is frightening. Players are getting a game no matter how bad they play whilst others come off the bench, make a difference and then come the next game remain on the bench. Certain players are looking completely disinterested and know their place in the starting line up is guaranteed.

If you take the first 2 games of the season away from us then we have only scored 17 goals in 21 games and taken 16 points. No matter how we try to kid outselves that is relegation form. If it was any other team we'd be saying they are certain to go down. QOTS look like they've signed a guy who can score goals whilst Ayr seem like a side who can pick up surprise results (like yesterday in Dingwall).

No matter what happens come the end of season we need a mass clear out (manager included). Last season we made up for the lack of technique and skill through hard work, organisation and determination. We don't have that this season and so our short comings are being highlighted to a dramatic effect. Look at yesterday...our defence is slow so why did we play such a high line yesterday with no protection for our full backs? When Dyer was out of position Murray got destroyed. McGlynn has always been tactically naive but made up for it by having an organised and hard working side. That is no longer the case. He plays formations to suit certain players rather than to suit the team and counter what the opposition are playing. We are not good enough to go to Livingston and play 3 strikers! He moans about our small budget but look at other teams in the league. No team has a large playing budget (Ross County apart) so the only option is to invest in youth and have young, hungry players desperate to prove they are good enough. We have had 1 player make it in the whole time McGlynn has been here and that is simply not good enough in the current footballing climate. Why can other clubs find young players and put them in the first tea yet we can't? We constantly hear that we have a good youth set up with teams at various age groups winning cups and leagues only Reece Donaldson has come from this. Even look at Cowdenbeath. They have found some young, hungry players and look set to be back in the 1st next season. How can they find players like Greg Stewart and Lewis Coult and we dont? How do Livi bring through a team that has 5 players from their own youth system? How do Falkirk find the youngsters that have allowed them to not only be 2nd in the league but then sell them on for a healthy profit? Something is massively wrong at our club. A lot of clubs in the 1st division have survived by bringing through a younger, developing him and then selling him. In our case McGlynn and co seem happier to just develop Hearts and Dundee Utd players.

Turnball Hutton keeps moaning that we all need to go to the games. Well come out this week, apologise to the fans for the money and time we wasted yesterday and maybe people might start listening to you. You claim that dropping the price to £15 before Christmas didn't do anything. What did you expect? Making it £2 cheaper is going to do nothing to encourage people to go. People aren't going to start flocking to the stands because it's a measly £2 cheaper. After Saturday there we need a big support for the Partick game. Slash prices and give people a reason to go to the matches. You can't serve up shite and expect people to pay five star prices for it.

I truly fear for us and just can't see what we have to stay in this league. Even if we finished 2nd bottom I would not fancy us up against a few of the teams fighting for 4th in the 2nd. Even in a final v Arbroath I'd not fancy us (who are 2nd in the league with a player in defence McGlynn deemed not good enough for us).

This is not a knee-jerk reaction to yesterdays result and performance. Yesterday was just the final straw.

Turnball Hutton keeps moaning that we all need to go to the games. Well come out this week, apologise to the fans for the money and time we wasted yesterday and maybe people might start listening to you.

Hutton was meaning home games for the finance side of things

You claim that dropping the price to £15 before Christmas didn't do anything. What did you expect? Making it £2 cheaper is going to do nothing to encourage people to go. People aren't going to start flocking to the stands because it's a measly £2 cheaper. After Saturday there we need a big support for the Partick game. Slash prices and give people a reason to go to the matches. You can't serve up shite and expect people to pay five star prices for it.

Sorry but slashing prices will not increase the crowds by much if at all.Folk wont pay to watch pish no matter the price.Product and performances on the park is the only way supporters will turn up on a Saturday.f**k,I know folk if it wasn`t for having a season ticket wouldn`t be turning up