The New Raith Rovers Thread

I haven't argued against your comments regarding Smith & McGowan. Not sure why you chose to repost that - other than to try to cover up the lie immediately before it.

no i chose it because you selectively quoted my post and omitted the fact that hutton plus two others were on the board and still are when smith and mcgowan were appointed which is one of the reason our club is in the state it is .as far as covering up a lie,nothing to cover up. hutton did not vote against the anelka debacle

presume they've taken shares in return for soft loans to artificially reduce the amount of debt. Its irrelavent any way as either way they will see absolutley no return for their money.

dont presume.soft loans are not repayable unless the the club receives exceptional income which is unlikely.shares on the other are of some value.

Have you had a little 'accident'? Tell mummy.

Truly terrible effort. I'm sure you expect a higher standard of yourself.

PotM, are you on the turn?

I enjoy a bit of nosing into Rovers news. I would imagine we'll be in the same league again next season so doesn't hurt to get some wind-up material ready and waiting ;)

Isn't losing 4-1 to a Rangers team in a right state a little embarrassing? laugh.gif

Well no, seeing as their squad is still superior to ours and they pay their players around £20-30 million more a year :unsure: Losing to the reigning champions is certainly far less humiliating then fighting to stay in the First Division.

I remember Eric during the McGoon years sitting in the South Stand after a bust up, he also ended up at 11 Downing Street during the takeover, he has done some very good work for us over the years and should not have his nose rubbed in it by the likes of PPV.....go and get a cuppa .

Offer your services to the Board then. Look forward to you succeeding where most other football clubs fail.

That's like telling someone to go out, buy a pair of boots and get into the starting XI when they criticise a player.

Realistic planning would ensure that the club would run at a profit. It would probably mean we were relegated, but at least we wouldn't be having our board moaning in the press every so often about ever increasing loss projections.

Sustainable business models are sacrificed because of competition. Many clubs can moan about other teams being bankrolled by rich men, but I'm afraid we are too to a certain extent. It's just that we're buying survival rather than success.

Maybe he should, it would be good if we could at least break even every year.

If he can make us run at a profit he'd have my backing.

The solution in one sense is obvious. Cut the wage bill to a level that means we break even. Which assuming we survive this season would pretty much assure relegation to the Second next season. Crowds would drop to 1400 if not below so that would need to be budgeted for. And the howls from the support would be horrendous but invest in a tin hat and we'd be fine.

VT is right in the sense that it's not full time football that is unaffordable, it's full time football on these wages that is unaffordable. Employ a combination of young and cheap players and all would be fine. The inevitable impact on the field would then be the problem not the finances. But I'm for it. Are others?

That's like telling someone to go out, buy a pair of boots and get into the starting XI when they criticise a player.

No it isn't. No one is suggesting that any one of us can play up front for the Rovers. Playing football involves a certain amount of skill none of us possess.

The poster was clearly saying that ANYONE could have run us at a profit last season. if he truly believes that then draw up his business plan and take it to the Board. I'm pretty sure if it's credible they'd go for it. We are screwed after all

Realistic planning would ensure that the club would run at a profit. It would probably mean we were relegated, but at least we wouldn't be having our board moaning in the press every so often about ever increasing loss projections.

Sustainable business models are sacrificed because of competition. Many clubs can moan about other teams being bankrolled by rich men, but I'm afraid we are too to a certain extent. It's just that we're buying survival rather than success.

Totally agree with the rest of your post. We need a total recalibration of Scottish football but it's not going to happen anytime soon. And even if it did there would always be a team thinking 'f**k that we'll pay more for one season and go up'. So we have to choose the Stirling Albion/Clyde route to living within in our means which means the board moaning will be replaced by fans moaning about our lack of ambition or inability to compete

No it isn't. No one is suggesting that any one of us can play up front for the Rovers. Playing football involves a certain amount of skill none of us possess.

The poster was clearly saying that ANYONE could have run us at a profit last season. if he truly believes that then draw up his business plan and take it to the Board. I'm pretty sure if it's credible they'd go for it. We are screwed after all

Running a business isn't particularly hard either if you know the core aims of what a business is supposed to achieve and have even a small amount of financial saavy (In my own never-ran-a-business-in-my-life thoughts, anyway).

The problem is that football clubs take a hypocritical business stance. They completely ignore the aim of a business (make a profit), yet then bleat that they have no money, remind everyone they are a business and pass the buck as soon as things are going wrong. Reality is sacrificed for an inflated perception of what your rivals are doing, whilst forgetting that most of these rival teams are doing exactly the same thing. I firmly believe that one club going part-time will lead to a few others doing the same, simply because they'll feel that they no longer have to spend above what they can afford to keep up the competition.

I reckon I could run us at a profit if I knew what our overheads were going to be. I would not be a popular man at all, though.

Edited by Michael W

I reckon I could run us at a profit if I knew what our overheads were going to be. I would not be a popular man at all, though.

I went along to a talk by the directors at Clyde last year talking about what they were doing there. Their finance director - an experienced and qualified accountant - said that post administration they did the exact exercise you suggest above. Looked what income they brought in, then looked at what overheads they had to pay out, nothing extravagant just the minimum to run a football club. And then looked at what was left over was the budget for players wages.

Once they'd done that exercise the surplus was zero so they effectively didn't have a budget to pay players. They then had to fundraise to pay any players which obviously meant lower wages and poorer players. That's why they have sunk to neat the bottom of the Third Division.

I suspect the situation at Rovers would be fairly similar if not identical. The main impact would be on the team so as you say you'd not be popular.

I went along to a talk by the directors at Clyde last year talking about what they were doing there. Their finance director - an experienced and qualified accountant - said that post administration they did the exact exercise you suggest above. Looked what income they brought in, then looked at what overheads they had to pay out, nothing extravagant just the minimum to run a football club. And then looked at what was left over was the budget for players wages.

Once they'd done that exercise the surplus was zero so they effectively didn't have a budget to pay players. They then had to fundraise to pay any players which obviously meant lower wages and poorer players. That's why they have sunk to neat the bottom of the Third Division.

I suspect the situation at Rovers would be fairly similar if not identical. The main impact would be on the team so as you say you'd not be popular.

I'm afraid it would be completely identical. I'd budget for crowds about 300 what I thought the average would be. Already, you can see exactly where this is going.

Unfortunately, the alternative is that we continue to rely on the pockets of the board to make up the shortfall somehow as well. We could try getting the fans to do it, but these people already spend a lot of money on their team, so trying to squeeze another 80k per season out of them is stretching the limits of ambition as well as being a downright cheek. The thing is, that 80k would also be on top of the fundraising that a few supporters groups already commit themselves too.

A rock and a hard place springs to mind, so I do have some sympathy for the board, even if it rarely ever looks like it. I'm still livid about last season's loss, however.

Edited by Michael W

How is Jamie Walker coming along folks?

Scored his first senior goal on Saturday and is doing well. The last couple of games he has looked good, running directly at defenders and not shirking out (McBride take note of this). Overall he looks like a very good prospect for the future. I think that Hearts will do well with him and Jason Holt in a few years.

Scored his first senior goal on Saturday and is doing well. The last couple of games he has looked good, running directly at defenders and not shirking out (McBride take note of this). Overall he looks like a very good prospect for the future. I think that Hearts will do well with him and Jason Holt in a few years.

Sounds good! Hope he bangs a few more in for you!