The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

If they go they go, I'm sure McGlynn wont hang about waiting for an answer, after the season we've had theres every chance we'll be an attraction for a better class of players and even more so for talented loanees

Aye I’ll be happier once we’ve announced our signing of Ethan Ross & Callachan.

4 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

If they go they go, I'm sure McGlynn wont hang about waiting for an answer, after the season we've had theres every chance we'll be an attraction for a better class of players and even more so for talented loanees

Certainly a point in favor of JMcG’s use of players this year. While Cooney and Abraham saw little use, many of the other loanees saw solid minutes, something to gladden the hearts of their home teams. Add to that the manner of play the Rovers use these days, and we’re likely now a quite attractive proposition for high level clubs to send a player to a finishing school of sorts.

I might have wanted to see Abraham get a few more minutes at the end of some games, simply to promote the relationship with Fulham, but he was too raw. Otherwise, I have to think that we should be offered some juicy loans next year...unfortunately, if we are truly setting up to compete for the promotion spots again, with intention to reach the Premiership, we may not be able to use loanees as effectively as we will have been upgrading our own signings.

Despite losing last night, it’s been a brilliant season. To be in the play offs was brilliant. We seriously have to focus on getting the right man to replace Hendry and Davo. Our defence has at best been the weak point of our whole campaign. MacDonald can only do so much. The PCA’s have to push themselves hard to get in the team. We don’t have a large treatment room. 😂 But seriously who should we be chasing to fill that void Regan Hendry will ultimately leave behind?

I think If Musonda agrees a new deal then the signing of Berra and Lang is more than adequate cover for Davidson. 

Hendry is obviously trickier and we might also have to replace Spencer in there too. Tait will be able to step up as well. McGlynn will have known for a long time that Hendry would be leaving so I'm sure he'll have targets in mind. 

9 hours ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

Finishing third was always going to make it more difficult for the Rovers. Those extra games really knackered the squad. On balance, there’s not a lot to choose from between the two sides tonight - though I appreciate a 3-0 score line on paper doesn’t reflect that. 

9 hours ago, renton said:

Well, we've at least one a 2 legged tie now in both of the last sets we've been involved with. Before that the best we managed was one win over Hibs.

Have a guess.

9 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I can't see us ever winning the Premiership play offs in their current format. 

Never! That’s a pretty pessimistic guess. What about the Infinite Monkey Theorem?

Anyway, I fucking hate the play-offs. 

Guest Peter LaFleur
10 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Has Harry Cochran signed for anyone yet? I’ll be pretty surprised if we don’t sign him as Hendry’s replacement.

Obviously whoever you sign will be miles off Hendry but Cochrane was rank rotten for Montrose against us (Falkirk). Maybe McGlynn can turn his career around though and reach the hype that first surrounded him. Ray Grant who I know never performed for Alloa this season more worthy of a chance? Granted I haven’t seen him since league 1 but he was probably the next best midfielder to Hendry last season.

Good luck in the second leg of the semi-final, I really enjoy watching Rovers play and would love to see you do it. The job JMcG has done is nothing short of sensational. 

Edited by Peter LaFleur

Obviously whoever you sign will be miles off Hendry but Cochrane was rank rotten for Montrose against us (Falkirk). Maybe McGlynn can turn his career around though and reach the hype that first surrounded him. Ray Grant who I know never performed for Alloa this season more worthy of a chance? Granted I haven’t seen him since league 1 but he was probably the next best midfielder to Hendry last season.
Good luck in the second leg of the semi-final, I really enjoy watching Rovers play and would love to see you do it. The job JMcG has done is nothing short of sensational. 

Are you sure you’re a Falkirk fan? Do they know you’re over here paying the Rovers a compliment?

Hearts offered Cochrane a contract but he turned it down. The article I read said whoever signs him is likely to be due 6 figure training compensation to Hearts so unfortunately he won’t be an option unless that has changed.

2 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Hearts offered Cochrane a contract but he turned it down. The article I read said whoever signs him is likely to be due 6 figure training compensation to Hearts so unfortunately he won’t be an option unless that has changed.

I don't know. The Kevin Nisbet saga showed we don't seem to understand how these things work....

I think we need an older head in the middle of the park, who can get control of the game if our passing game isn't firing on all cylinders.  Easier said than done, but with Mcdonald, Berra and Keatings in the mix - an hold in midfield would certainly help.

Assuming no Lazarus style comeback on Saturday night, that’s our season over. Such a shame that we won’t get the opportunity to thank the team in person. Pretty sure most of the Rovers support would have stood and clapped the team off at Dens despite going out. it’s been a tremendous season.

Going forward, we seem to be in relatively good shape. There will be the challenge of filling a Regan Hendry sized hole  but other than that the manager has already been working towards improving the squad with his pre-contracts. McGlynn and Smith are definitely building something special so no reason why we shouldn’t be able to compete well again (hopefully). Off the field things seem in reasonable shape too. Improvements being made around Stark’s Park, a new CEO with hopefully a bit of drive and energy and the £500k grant hopefully removing some of the usual cashflow crisis around the club. 

Most of all, it’ll be great to get back in next season. To actually get to the Rovers v Pars games and enjoy great away trips like Arbroath and Partick Thistle. I can’t wait. It’s been far too long.

Edited by roverthemoon

I think we almost have to accept that Hendry cannot realistically be replaced. We've been lucky to have a player of his ability and whilst we will of course sign a replacement, we aren't going to get a player like him. The type of player we get perhaps one a decade or less, that has the ability to go much further than Raith Rovers. At any rate, we can't expect his replacement to be a like for like replacement. 

I haven't lived in Scotland for eight years now, so suffice to say I get to see very few matches. It is awful for fans that haven't been able to go and see what has been our best team in years, but I've been privileged to watch us in a way that I haven't been able to do for years. I missed the home games against Dunfermline (2-2) and the first thumping from Hearts, but otherwise watched the rest and also a few of the the away games too. I've unsurprisingly found other things to do on Saturdays, but it has been great to watch us regularly again, with the added bonus that we've been good and had a season that's exceeded expectations. It's been fantastic being able to do this, even if it's only a one off. I have been very fortunate in this regard, seeing something that I otherwise would not have.

It's been a pleasure. 

Edited by Michael W

21 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Hendry shortlisted for PFA player of the year.

Thoughts are with that weird Falkirk fan with the Hendry obsession at this difficult time.

3 hours ago, Michael W said:

I think we almost have to accept that Hendry cannot realistically be replaced. We've been lucky to have a player of his ability and whilst we will of course sign a replacement, we aren't going to get a player like him. The type of player we get perhaps one a decade or less, that has the ability to go much further than Raith Rovers. At any rate, we can't expect his replacement to be a like for like replacement. 

This is spot on, we need to look for a good midfield director to fill Hendry’s role, because you don’t replace a player like Hendry on a limited budget, you develop them at our level. Tait probably benefitted greatly from working with Hendry, and might slot into his role nicely, but we need a solid player (roughly in the vein of King). Hendry’s willingness and ability have spoilt us, and now we need to fix the offensive and defensive woes his play papered over.