The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye he was someone I thought we would look at, then you find outs it's a "substantial six figure" compensation figure needed and you realise why your club won't be going for him.

Think Harry Cochrane is in a similar pickle, as it'll take 6 figures to get him. Suspect it won't be long until folk start complaining he's not been "snapped up" yet aswell.

Must be frustrating as a player when you want to move on but things stall when clubs realise how much the development fee is.

If the development fee for Ethan Ross is indeed £200k I think he's going to have some bother getting a club even in England. It's a lot of money for a player whose playing time at a decent level has not been particularly high.

I had hoped we'd be in for him but you can see exactly why we are not. 

5 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Name them??

Every player you have signed this summer??

ETA - considering it’s an achievement for the best part-time team in the country to stay in the Championship each season I didn’t think it really needed explaining that going full time means you get better players.

Edited by PB1994

15 hours ago, Alyn Stevenson said:

I have a feeling McGlynn may be planning on playing Musonda just in front of the defence this season, I’m sure when he initially signed it was mentioned he has played there before, also think one of the RaithTv commentators mentioned that McGlynn has something exciting planned for Musonda at the start of the Stranraer game, may be way off though just a guess.

To expand on this thought…we won’t see if it’s true until Frankie gets back (likely in August), but it is interesting and instructive to look at our defender list, especially in light of JMcG’s suggestion we will be playing 3 or 4 formations this year.

If Bene and Berra are our starting CB’s, with Tumilty and Dick at wingback, where is Musonda? If Musonda is going to play CB, are we sitting our Captain or our experienced signing? If Frankie will cover LB, why did we sign Dick, just to back him up? Why haven’t we signed a DM since one of Hendry’s strengths was falling deep and assisting the defense and aide in playing the ball out? We have to assume JMcG is competent, has considered these things, and probably knew some time ago that Frankie was likely to re-sign.

One of Frankie’s key strengths last year was his vision and distribution, his versatility was a bonus. We need to replace the deep play that Hendry offered, and while Matthews and Spencer can provide some replacement, Tait lacks the necessary defensive mindset (which is, don’t get me wrong, not a criticism, but an observation). Arnott is too raw to fill the role, and a major signing seems unlikely.

So, what if Musonda moves into the deep spot on the diamond, working as a sweeper, with Tait taking the AM role or one of the wide pair, which still leaves us with two forwards…plus our aggressive wingbacks and wide mids pressing forward.

Why does this make sense? Let’s look at our reserve players…McKay is coming off  injury and will be worked in. The obvious cover for Bene and Tumilty…Lang is also working in, and can cover Berra, Bene and Tumilty. Musonda covers Dick, and we can adjust to a flat midfield, a back five, or maybe Lang has some sweeper abilities that JMcG is hiding? Our current defensive player list provides some very interesting options.

The obvious weakness remains the midfield options, so the idea of JMcG’s playing a joker like Musonda forward a bit is very interesting…plus it offers reinforcement to our somewhat thin forward position by allowing our depleted mids to push up.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

To expand on this thought…we won’t see if it’s true until Frankie gets back (likely in August), but it is interesting and instructive to look at our defender list, especially in light of JMcG’s suggestion we will be playing 3 or 4 formations this year.

If Bene and Berra are our starting CB’s, with Tumilty and Dick at wingback, where is Musonda? If Musonda is going to play CB, are we sitting our Captain or our experienced signing? If Frankie will cover LB, why did we sign Dick, just to back him up? Why haven’t we signed a DM since one of Hendry’s strengths was falling deep and assisting the defense and aide in playing the ball out? We have to assume JMcG is competent, has considered these things, and probably knew some time ago that Frankie was likely to re-sign.

One of Frankie’s key strengths last year was his vision and distribution, his versatility was a bonus. We need to replace the deep play that Hendry offered, and while Matthews and Spencer can provide some replacement, Tait lacks the necessary defensive mindset (which is, don’t get me wrong, not a criticism, but an observation). Arnott is too raw to fill the role, and a major signing seems unlikely.

So, what if Musonda moves into the deep spot on the diamond, working as a sweeper, with Tait taking the AM role or one of the wide pair, which still leaves us with two forwards…plus our aggressive wingbacks and wide mids pressing forward.

Why does this make sense? Let’s look at our reserve players…McKay is coming off  injury and will be worked in. The obvious cover for Bene and Tumilty…Lang is also working in, and can cover Berra, Bene and Tumilty. Musonda covers Dick, and we can adjust to a flat midfield, a back five, or maybe Lang has some sweeper abilities that JMcG is hiding? Our current defensive player list provides some very interesting options.

The obvious weakness remains the midfield options, so the idea of JMcG’s playing a joker like Musonda forward a bit is very interesting…plus it offers reinforcement to our somewhat thin forward position by allowing our depleted mids to push up.

You think about it too much mate, there is obviously going to be at least 1 more signing, add in the usual 2-3 loan players and we will be well covered in all positions. It's J McG's job to make sure

55 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

You think about it too much mate, there is obviously going to be at least 1 more signing, add in the usual 2-3 loan players and we will be well covered in all positions. It's J McG's job to make sure

I think we are at least 2 permanent signings and 2 loan players away from a complete squad. 

1 hour ago, keyser_soze said:

28 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I think we are at least 2 permanent signings and 2 loan players away from a complete squad. 

1+3 =?  2+2 =? seem similar ?

1 hour ago, keyser_soze said:

Agree on a mid signing for sure…and likely a striker, but feel that loanees are the more likely “impacts”.

58 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

There's absolutely no chance we go into the season without at least one more "senior" striker. 

A boy ITK about everything Poplatnik, says he's going out to Raith on loan this season, not seen anything official yet though.

19 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

A boy ITK about everything Poplatnik, says he's going out to Raith on loan this season, not seen anything official yet though.

Another short arse forward and hasn't scored a goal for Livi, sounds a good addition. 

26 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

What's he like? I know he scored against us in the cup last year, but doesn't appear to have done a huge amount beyond that. 

A year long loan at 28 years old suggests Livi have written him off at Premiership level. 

1 minute ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

What's he like? I know he scored against us in the cup last year, but doesn't appear to have done a huge amount beyond that. 

A year long loan at 28 years old suggests Livi have written him off at Premiership level. 

He's okay, was struggling for fitness all season and found it hard to get settled I think. He barely played much but by all accounts is a decent finisher and seems fairly smart when on the ball. Set up a last minute winner for us at Dundee Utd with a nice cutback.

Think we know he won't be a first team starter for us, and think he will be with you. I'd imagine it's related to us wanting Anderson and Hamilton as first choice and we look like signing another big striker soon.