The New Raith Rovers Thread

Seen too may pre-season friendlies over the decades to worry just yet. Seasons  where we have been either awesome or utterly pish only to go on to have a season that was the complete reverse of what was expected.
Two bounce games so far and a bit like Scotland we didn't finish off our chances with Mitchell in the Clyde goal being especially inspired in the second.  I'm not bothered about our numbers at present but like some am a bit perturbed at the loss in quality in midfield. RH is virtually impossible to replace and Ross Matthews on-going issue is a real cause for concern, but I'm sure John & Paul will be as aware of this as we are. Less worrying (for me) is the loss off Dan Armstrong as I think Connolly will actually do fine if he can stay fit, there will likely be a loanee competing for a wing role too.  Though more of a gamble Zanatta will likely be fine too as he will be acutely aware that he will struggle for another club should he not make it with us. 
Up front I think we will see a striker come in along similar lines to last season (Duku and Ugwu only better!) and wouldn't be surprised if he was a loanee from a more well known club.
While I was at Starks Park the CEO told me there was an exciting young guy signing but wouldn't even say what position he played in as she was sworn to secrecy (at  the time even the fans rep didn't know), although she did say he would be a signing not a loan player.
A blind man can see that the 2021-22 season ticket set up has been poorly handled and I'm sure the club are by now very aware of this, perhaps some concessions can be made if the board can agree and decide on how best to pour oil on what is clearly troubled waters. I really don't think they expected the flack that came their way. However on the plus side I think there's a chance there will be much more thought and hopefully dialogue with  supporters so that next season if at least not getting it all right they make a better fist of it.
Get it right the following season is not the issue. People who supported them last season haven't renewed due to it. Are the going to give them a discount next season. Probably not.

Did Musonda not play there for a few games last season?
Frankie 
Not a natural lb though, hence my confusion. Musonda is pretty much a play anywhere across the back line and do a good job type of player though. Very glad he signed on again.

59 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Did Musonda not play there for a few games last season?

Musonda is a capable LB, but certainly not a natural LB. I was thinking Lang was also supposed to be capable of playing LB, but he’s another right footed CB/RB.

1 hour ago, qpfc said:

Might be Brody Paterson? He’s a left sided player who was on loan to QP last season from Celtic. Did a very good job for us 

Might not be him obviously, but he seems to fit that profile 

We could use a right wing more than a left, I’d say. Although, crazily enough, I’d swear that JMcG said he likes the Wingback and the Winger on the same side to be opposite footed in an interview. Something about the winger getting the ball on his natural foot from the back and then feeding it back out onto the back’s natural foot for a cross…but it may have been lack of sleep or excess nectar.

Yeah a winger cutting in on his natural foot with a fullback overlapping wide creates a dilemma for defenders. It's a solid tactic that has served us well. Against Stranraer Connolly looked better playing down the left though. I think he played there on his debut for us under mckinnon as well iirc.

I have a feeling McGlynn may be planning on playing Musonda just in front of the defence this season, I’m sure when he initially signed it was mentioned he has played there before, also think one of the RaithTv commentators mentioned that McGlynn has something exciting planned for Musonda at the start of the Stranraer game, may be way off though just a guess.

1 hour ago, foreverarover said:
10 hours ago, Scottydog said:
Seen too may pre-season friendlies……………

Get it right the following season is not the issue. People who supported them last season haven't renewed due to it. Are the going to give them a discount next season. Probably not.

Don’t worry it was made perfectly clear in a meeting just how let down we feel after supporting the club so well financially last season. Unfortunately I think they’ve made too many bad calls on this season ticket to fix everything this year, therefore the best we can hope for is that they make some changes and allowances now and learn by it to make it better next year.

Edited by Scottydog

I know there was a fair deal of frustration at the season ticket price, but am I right in thinking your meaning this has led to a poor uptake (I.e not just verbal frustration?). I did think it strange there hasn’t been a season ticket counter on the Twitter…

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

Don’t worry it was made perfectly clear in a meeting just how let down we feel after supporting the club so well financially last season. Unfortunately I think they’ve made too many bad calls on this season ticket to fix everything this year, therefore the best we can hope for is that they make some changes and allowances now and learn by it to make it better next year.

2 hours ago, Alyn Stevenson said:

I have a feeling McGlynn may be planning on playing Musonda just in front of the defence this season, I’m sure when he initially signed it was mentioned he has played there before, also think one of the RaithTv commentators mentioned that McGlynn has something exciting planned for Musonda at the start of the Stranraer game, may be way off though just a guess.

Entirely possible, as I’ve mentioned the sweeper/libero role in front of a back four might be the spot for Frankie, replacing Hendry’s connection from the back…with Tait taking the attacking role.

The fact there has been no pay at the gate price to use as Comparison. With the Pars game being rearranged thst would have screwed me within the first few games of the season.

11 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Come back to Kirkcaldy Ethan Ross, he's still without a club I wonder what the development fee would be for him

Whatever it is we probably couldn't afford it, however the longer he is without a club there will always be hope.

53 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Whatever it is we probably couldn't afford it, however the longer he is without a club there will always be hope.

If we can’t afford a development fee then why are we going Full Time, we’ll just get the usual journeymen. With the Hybrid system and the stock we held last season we could’ve gotten some great part timers. Or the pick of the best. Money Talks right enough!!

16 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

If we can’t afford a development fee then why are we going Full Time, we’ll just get the usual journeymen. With the Hybrid system and the stock we held last season we could’ve gotten some great part timers. Or the pick of the best. Money Talks right enough!!

You could argue same question for a lot of teams at this level that are full time - most aren't shelling out development fees or paying transfer fees for players (from what I'm led to believe). We don't know how much the development fee is - maybe McGlynn thinks it's not worth shelling out £'s on him, maybe he doesn't want him in, maybe Ross doesn't want to come back. 

27 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

You do realise that Aberdeen offered him another contract that he has turned down and clubs like Blackburn Rovers and Sunderland are looking at him. Don't think there would be any clubs in Championship (possibly exception being Kilmarnock) that could afford him.

55 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Name them. 

1 hour ago, Raithie said:

You could argue same question for a lot of teams at this level that are full time - most aren't shelling out development fees or paying transfer fees for players (from what I'm led to believe). We don't know how much the development fee is - maybe McGlynn thinks it's not worth shelling out £'s on him, maybe he doesn't want him in, maybe Ross doesn't want to come back. 

Ethan Ross would apparently cost over £200k in compensation, then you'd have to outspend Blackburn and Sunderland in terms of wages.

I wouldn't overthink him not being a target for Raith on a permanent deal.

1 hour ago, baillieinleeds said:

Not being able to pay £100k plus for players is not a good reason for staying a part time team.

Being full time clearly gets you a better pool of players to choose from.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ethan Ross would apparently cost over £200k in compensation, then you'd have to outspend Blackburn and Sunderland in terms of wages.

I wouldn't overthink him not being a target for Raith on a permanent deal.

Yeah we're not going to be throwing about money like that on a player.