The New Raith Rovers Thread

50 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

we seem to accumulate more injuries than all the clubs in the SPFL. But McGlynn does love an injury prone player. 

True. He's obviously not signing them hoping they get injured though and can't have blame apportioned to him for injury prone players signing here before he came back. 

@TxRovermckay isn't good enough for this level. See mendy as a recent example of a player who can come in for a game and do well, yet completely fail at the level below because they aren't good enough. 

9 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

McKay didn't do enough today to suggest he's any more than emergency cover I'm afraid. He was nowhere near dominant enough in the air and his strategy was basically just blooter the ball in whatever direction he was facing. 

Agreed, I actually thought Dick was the better of the two centre backs today but neither were anything other than emergency cover. McKay partly at fault for the first goal and the second goal. Poor header for the first right to the Arbroath man to put another cross in and got totally dragged out of position by another strikers run for the second leaving a massive gap, he should have held his position and passed the runner onto another defender. Tumilty didn’t tuck in nearly well enough on that goal either tbf.

Nothing against McKay though, he tried his best and did some things well but he looked every bit the 5th choice centre back he is. I don’t think he’s good enough to be kept on and a run of games at League 1/2 playing every week will help Dave too.

Obviously frustrating to throw away a 2 goal lead today but it doesn’t happen if Berra and Bene/Musonda are in there IMO. The goals lost are exactly what you expect with a makeshift defence, it was an encouraging performance and a good point in the circumstances and plenty to build on. Key thing is we need to actually build on it, we’ve had too many false dawns since this bad run of form began where it looked like we were turning a corner only to fall flat on our face the next game.

45 minutes ago, grumswall said:

@TxRovermckay isn't good enough for this level. See mendy as a recent example of a player who can come in for a game and do well, yet completely fail at the level below because they aren't good enough. 

43 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

McKay didn't do enough today to suggest he's any more than emergency cover I'm afraid. He was nowhere near dominant enough in the air and his strategy was basically just blooter the ball in whatever direction he was facing. 

As I noted elsewhere, we’re terribly thin on signed defenders (two children, a bum knee, a less than splendid wingback and an old man) for next season, so is McKay worth keeping around? It’s likely his contract would be relatively small, and we could use the depth.

As I noted elsewhere, we’re terribly thin on signed defenders (two children, a bum knee, a less than splendid wingback and an old man) for next season, so is McKay worth keeping around? It’s likely his contract would be relatively small, and we could use the depth.
Would we be able to offer him a wage that is good enough, considering he won't be getting any game time? Probably comes down to his own ambition more than anything. He needs games if he's to make it long term.

I think we should either get someone in who can overhaul set pieces or look within what we have, ie Berra who I believe is/was coaching at Hearts just to focus on them in training.

We give away so many soft goals from them and at the other end our corners are absolute shite and have been for as long as I remember. Clearly our current training is not working.

3 hours ago, pub car king said:

In terms of the injuries. 

Vaughan is a gamble every season but its the only reason we have a player of that quality, however with that said we should mitigate that by signing cover for him.

Keatings was a very strange PCA and it transpires he is fucked, you would like to think a bit of due diligence would have been carried out before hand. 

Berra despite being in great shape is knocking on and the recovery time is always going to be longer. The other thing here is I doubt he was meant to play as regularly as he has. 

Macdonald was just one of those things against the cursed mob from the hills. 

Spencer again one of those things players will break bones but his recovery is dragging on.

Musonda was injured from last season and again the recovery took longer than hoped. 

Lang is unfortunate, I don't know if he has a history of similar problems but again I would hope due diligence was carried out. 

So we've had 2 ACL, 1 broken leg and 1 player physically had to be paid off. As well as a recent outbreak of diphtheria or some such thing tear through the camp.

Its actually not that bad on paper but it's made a huge mark on the season. 

Pretty sure Lang was signed whilst he was injured or knowing that he was going in for a knee op,strange

Saying that,generally been impressed by him when hes played

The squad doesn't need many changes for next season for us to compete. Spencer needs signed up and another midfielder added to replace Williamson.

I would release McKay, not good enough, Tumilty will likely be away. We need to replace both. Hopefully a commanding centre half that can chip in with goals as I don't think we can rely on Bene next season to be first choice. Add 3 strikers to the squad and we should be good. It will be good to see Vaughan back at some point but we can't rely on him not breaking down, what he had been through and the operations I just can't see him staying fit.

3 hours ago, grumswall said:
3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Would we be able to offer him a wage that is good enough, considering he won't be getting any game time? Probably comes down to his own ambition more than anything. He needs games if he's to make it long term.

True enough, but he’s still only 24, and there are few full time contracts available…so it might be worth it to stay with a promise from us to loan to League One next year if he isn’t playing.

2 hours ago, raith1974 said:

The squad doesn't need many changes for next season for us to compete. Spencer needs signed up and another midfielder added to replace Williamson.

I would release McKay, not good enough, Tumilty will likely be away. We need to replace both. Hopefully a commanding centre half that can chip in with goals as I don't think we can rely on Bene next season to be first choice. Add 3 strikers to the squad and we should be good. It will be good to see Vaughan back at some point but we can't rely on him not breaking down, what he had been through and the operations I just can't see him staying fit.

Really, here’s the current, signed, squad for 2023 and beyond:

Keepers: 
Bow (May 2023), J MacDonald (May 2023), Thomson (June 2023, with GK coach role too) 

Backs: 
Berra (May 2023), Dick (May 2023), Lang (out through first half of season, ACL surgery) (June 2023), Masson (ma) (June 2023), Young (ma) (May 2023) 

Mids: 
Arnott (May 2023), Matthews (June 2024), Stanton (June 2024) 

Forwards: 
Connolly (May 2023), Coulson (May 2023), Gullan (June 2024), Mahady (June 2023), Mitchell (ma) (thru May 2023), Ross (May 2024), Vaughan (returning from ruptured ACL) (June 2024), Zanatta (May 2023)

So we replace Tumilty and McKay…we don’t even have Bene, but I assume you mean get him and another CB…that leaves us with:

1 new RB (no coverage), 4.5 CB (one child, one new, two current and one current injured), 2 LB (one current and covered by another child). Seems a bit dodgy.

Sign Spencer and we have 4 midfielders, plus assorted wingers (perhaps Connolly, Coulson, Ross, Vaughan and Zanatta). Might work, but it’s a bit thin on true midfielders.

Sign three strikers and we have 6 forwards, which is about the only decently staffed position.

I think you are a bit off on your assessment, but we’ll see.

10 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Pretty sure Lang was signed whilst he was injured or knowing that he was going in for a knee op,strange

Saying that,generally been impressed by him when hes played

He had an injury when he signed that was well on the way to recovery. His recent operation was unplanned and on the other leg.

Shopping list.

Defence

1x rb tumilty will be away

1x lb it's a weakness and mackie isn't proving to be the answer.

3x cb Bene will probably sign.  Musonda is an unknown but I think he will be gone and we need one more unless there is a youth prospect?

Midfield

This is our weakness for me what we have is good for this level and I'd happy keep them all. 

Spencer is the priority get hom signed again. Next season could be big for Arnott. I think we need someone else to play in front of the defence. 

So 2 bodies (including spencer)

Forwards

For me we need 2 Poplatnik being one I think he is decent and now he's had a decent run with a strike partner he is proving it. You wlnt get 20 goals out of him but you will get a team player. 

For the other we need a Varian type to hold up the ball. Hindsight is wonderful but we should have held onto Ugwu. 

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

True enough, but he’s still only 24, and there are few full time contracts available…so it might be worth it to stay with a promise from us to loan to League One next year if he isn’t playing.

Really, here’s the current, signed, squad for 2023 and beyond:

Keepers: 
Bow (May 2023), J MacDonald (May 2023), Thomson (June 2023, with GK coach role too) 

Backs: 
Berra (May 2023), Dick (May 2023), Lang (out through first half of season, ACL surgery) (June 2023), Masson (ma) (June 2023), Young (ma) (May 2023) 

Mids: 
Arnott (May 2023), Matthews (June 2024), Stanton (June 2024) 

Forwards: 
Connolly (May 2023), Coulson (May 2023), Gullan (June 2024), Mahady (June 2023), Mitchell (ma) (thru May 2023), Ross (May 2024), Vaughan (returning from ruptured ACL) (June 2024), Zanatta (May 2023)

So we replace Tumilty and McKay…we don’t even have Bene, but I assume you mean get him and another CB…that leaves us with:

1 new RB (no coverage), 4.5 CB (one child, one new, two current and one current injured), 2 LB (one current and covered by another child). Seems a bit dodgy.

Sign Spencer and we have 4 midfielders, plus assorted wingers (perhaps Connolly, Coulson, Ross, Vaughan and Zanatta). Might work, but it’s a bit thin on true midfielders.

Sign three strikers and we have 6 forwards, which is about the only decently staffed position.

I think you are a bit off on your assessment, but we’ll see.

I think you are being slightly unfair with your player assessment. 6 strikers, Mahady will be away, Vaughan we cannot count as there is a good chance he won't make it back without breaking down, which I really hope he doesn't but 4 ops on his knees is not good. Coulson if still at the club will be put out on loan. Ross and Gullan can play out wide or in a deeper role whether that's a number 10 or attack midfield. Connolly and Zanatta are wingers, that leaves us one number 9 in Mitchell. We need 3 strikers. 

By resigning Spencer and bringing in another midfielder that gives us 5 central midfielders for 3 slots along with Ross or Gullan that could play a more advanced att mid role. 

Yes I agree the defence is light  but we already have Berra, I mentioned Bene as one of the centre halfs so I'm assuming he is signed up. Lang will come in at some point after his op. We need another centre half and cover at fullback.

5 weeks till end of season assuming we dont make the play offs, I would've thought contract extensions were offered by now, specially management, which makes me think theres going to be changes in that department before any out of contract players are offered new deals

Of course it might be all about a new board being installed first, but I wont hold my breath on that one

I seem to have went off on one yesterday, so I’ll be honest. I don’t really care if we finish in a play off spot. The injuries we’ve sustained throughout the season will seriously hamper any kind of progression we attempt. There’s no point scoring good goals only to concede at the back. Defence and midfield (since) Spencer’s injury has been our weakest point. Bene and Dick have been rank rotten. When Berra goes off injured we tend to implode. The Captain should then be able to Marshall the defence. But with Bene he’s more liable to be sent off or booked which then curtails most of his involvement as is the fear of a red card. If McGlynn is to lead this team next season, and given the proper funds he must use due diligence for future acquisitions 

Because we have become even shitier than you.

What has happened at Partick? You seem to have been like us and drawn quite a few games, but that is your last 4 you have lost after beating Caley and drawing with Arbroath looked like it had you in quite a good position.