The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I see the Courier has come up with an unimaginative list of 5 potential managers: Berra, Ellis, McPake, Thomson and Murray. 

I would prefer Murray, but waiting a couple of weeks to see what happens with Airdrie in the play offs is far from ideal. 

I think we need to be realistic with this board though. If you come up with the worst possible appointment you can think of, imagine someone twice as bad and that's pretty much what we'll end up with. 

This board will employ Jim Fuckin Duffy or some shit. 

17 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

If Poplatnik is leaving Livingston he’ll be looking for a club higher than League 1, he proved he can score goals at this level why wouldn’t he look for a club at Championship / Premiership level. The reason for a player like him to drop is to prove themselves, he’s already done that.  Honestly some of the names getting linked with Falkirk seem a bit over the top. Players want to play at the highest level not drop down because they like a manager. I’d expect Bene might join them and they might get someone like Dick or McKay for that level. It’s Falkirk in League One they’ve been a shambles for a few years John McGlynn isn’t a lightning rod that’s going to have players rushing from the top 2 divisions to sign for them. 

Pops and bene aren’t early 20s tho.  And Falkirkwill over the wages with the extreme competitionto go up. 

Edited by Raith_Rasta

I'm happy to wish McGlynn and Smith all the best as they've done a great job with our club. Two top men away from the football too.

However, if it transpires that they left due to budget cuts that might come about due to the Goodwillie signing that was their idea, any good will I have towards them will disappear.

Just now, Raith_Rasta said:

Pops and bene aren’t early 30s tho.  And Falkirkwill over the wages with the extreme competitionto go up. 

You’d think Falkirk had been bought by an Arab, they’ve paid bigger money than us the last few years and which players of quality have rushed to join them? (A washed up Griffiths) They’re in League One and are far from guaranteed to get out of it next season especially if the Pars are there. What’s next Bowie and Hendry to join this sleeping giant, it took McGlynn 2 seasons to turn us around and win the league he’s a solid manager he’s not Alex Ferguson.  

7 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

You’d think Falkirk had been bought by an Arab, they’ve paid bigger money than us the last few years and which players of quality have rushed to join them? (A washed up Griffiths) They’re in League One and are far from guaranteed to get out of it next season especially if the Pars are there. What’s next Bowie and Hendry to join this sleeping giant, it took McGlynn 2 seasons to turn us around and win the league he’s a solid manager he’s not Alex Ferguson.  

😊 delicious x 

2 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

During those two seasons he laid the foundations which had us challenging for promotion our first season up by signing young, talented players like hendry, Spencer etc 

We also can't understate the impact he's had on youth recruitment during both spells. Players like Matthews, callachan, Vaughan came through after he had made changes to how we approached youth recruitment. During his second spell we've had Bowie and tait, sold for decent money. Arnott looks the latest to be capable of stepping up. 

For all the sins of the past 6 months, let's not forget just how good John McGlynn and Paul Smith have been for our club over the two spells. 

2 minutes ago, grumswall said:

During those two seasons he laid the foundations which had us challenging for promotion our first season up by signing young, talented players like hendry, Spencer etc 

We also can't understate the impact he's had on youth recruitment during both spells. Players like Matthews, callachan, Vaughan came through after he had made changes to how we approached youth recruitment. During his second spell we've had Bowie and tait, sold for decent money. Arnott looks the latest to be capable of stepping up. 

For all the sins of the past 6 months, let's not forget just how good John McGlynn and Paul Smith have been for our club over the two spells. 

Very nice but what does that have to do with him signing Poplatnik by throwing big money?

As you just pointed out he used youth and built a team which took time to gel and win promotion. If he’s going to do that at Falkirk which I’d wager is why they’ve brought him in it’s not going to be by throwing cash to get players to drop down a level or two it’ll by doing what he did with us. I’d expect him to bring in talented youngsters not try to buy the league. 

I wonder if Kilmarnock would go in for Tumilty, he gave them a torrid time this season.

Spencer I would be highly surprised if he dropped down to league 1. 

Benedictus could do a job there as would McKay with a bit of game time. 

5 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I wonder if Kilmarnock would go in for Tumilty, he gave them a torrid time this season.

Spencer I would be highly surprised if he dropped down to league 1. 

Benedictus could do a job there as would McKay with a bit of game time. 

Possibly Killie seem to want to splash the cash so might tempt him over St Mirren. 

Edited by San Starko Rover

2 minutes ago, Back Post Misses said:

Not till end May? 

I think you can sign a contract for when the present one runds out, a bit like a pre contract deal with players. The premission to speak thing is to stop players/ managers being poached mid contract.

49 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Next season got Kelty Hearts and maby the pars?  A think it’s a box office league to be fair. Soz for not having the same opinion as you bruh. 

1 hour ago, Back Post Misses said:

If RR wanted to keep them why give Falkirk permission to speak to them? 

They were under contract until May and terms didn’t suit them to stay at the Rovers if rumours are correct so Rovers were powerless to do anything 

If McGlynn did stay then he’d always have the DG thing hanging over his head. Whilst him moving on means that he’s not always going to be associated with that signing. A fresh start is probably what he wanted, a step out of the way and into the background. 

I don’t blame him for moving on but I would have liked him to stay for another season or two. 

but hey, football managers moving to different clubs happens almost weekly nowadays so it was going to happen to us at some point 

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

Very nice but what does that have to do with him signing Poplatnik by throwing big money?

As you just pointed out he used youth and built a team which took time to gel and win promotion. If he’s going to do that at Falkirk which I’d wager is why they’ve brought him in it’s not going to be by throwing cash to get players to drop down a level or two it’ll by doing what he did with us. I’d expect him to bring in talented youngsters not try to buy the league. 

Yeah it's worth remembering that both times with us he took a bit of time to get things right. 

Not sure that he'll be afforded that luxury at Falkirk. Still, not our problem now. 

5 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

This season alone John McGlynn stained the club's reputation with his relentless pursuit of Goodwillie, bottled a genuine title challenge to finish outside even the Top 4 and then fucks off to a L1 side for more money.

Are the plans for the statue still on, aye?

Edit - Actually think this is a great move for Raith Rovers as a club, showing they were serious about changing the problematic culture that clearly existed at Starks Park.

Not as sure as you are. My theory is the BoD tossed JMcG to the wolves (press) after the DG mess while they huddled in their bunker. Now they allow John and Smudger to leave, hoping that keeps the heat off them (still in their bunker) because Sim has stepped down, one new (female) Director has been appointed, and the management staff that wanted DG is gone from the club. All that’s left is launching DG out of Kirkcaldy quickly now that the season has ended and then magically reappearing from their bunker…if Sim can keep his gob closed!

7 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah it's worth remembering that both times with us he took a bit of time to get things right. 

Not sure that he'll be afforded that luxury at Falkirk. Still, not our problem now. 

I expect he'll have a decent team assembled and up and running for the new kick off.