The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

Think the biggest issues are in defence and attack. Those are the glaringly obvious ones. If they get sorted then hopefully we’ll be fine. If not, I’ll look out my bucket and spade and wait for McGlynn to reappear.

Yes, that I do agree with. Plus I wasn’t trying to sound aggressive with my post. 

4 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Bloody hope not. Scott Brown isn’t a defender. 

He isn't, but an exact quote from the manager yesterday was that we need defenders and strikers.  Have to allow him the chance to bring players in.

How do you explain the first half of last season? Was he just trying to get his YouTube reel updated with some storming goals?
How do you explain the second half of last season?

The answer, as most are saying, is that he's woefully inconsistent, more then most, and we can't carry that any more. I think his jacket is on a shoogly nail right now.

I could handle one CB coming in to partner with Berra. That gives us Brown as cover and Lang due back. I’m actually ok with Mullen and Dick in their respective positions, we ain’t gonna see someone like Tumility and his whipped balls in.

A decent striker through the door and I’m happy with Gullan, Mitchell coming through and Vaughn back at some point.

A striker and a CB and top 4 is possible.

Hopefully Murray gets this deal over the line that was delayed this week, and I think the urgency will be there now to get deals done. Agree with other posters we let all our defenders go without any replacements when imo it would have been prudent to keep one of them and matej surely would improve our striking options . My bug bear with Murray was he seemed to think it would be easy to improve last years squad, we did well enough and yes rot started beforehand but the impact the DG thing had cannot be underestimated 

5 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

He isn't, but an exact quote from the manager yesterday was that we need defenders and strikers.  Have to allow him the chance to bring players in. Sorry I buggered my response. Fingers like sausages. He recognises the need for the replacements in key areas. The start of the season is just around the corner. Actions speak so much louder than words

Bloody hope not. Scott Brown isn’t a defender. 

Maybe not. But he’s a player from the preseason games and the 2 cup games that I’ve grown quite fond of and reckon he could be a fan favourite over time.

And this is from him starting at CH. The problem isn’t with him starting at CH, the problem was that with Berra having to go off yesterday, we don’t have anyone to cover for CH. Stanton had to fall back into that gap instead which is where the issues lie.

I think Scott Brown has done a really good job at standing in for CH and hasn’t been any worse than the likes of Dick or Berra who have also played CH in preseason.

2 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Maybe not. But he’s a player from the preseason games and the 2 cup games that I’ve grown quite fond of and reckon he could be a fan favourite over time.

And this is from him starting at CH. The problem isn’t with him starting at CH, the problem was that with Berra having to go off yesterday, we don’t have anyone to cover for CH. Stanton had to fall back into that gap instead which is where the issues lie.

I think Scott Brown has done a really good job at standing in for CH and hasn’t been any worse than the likes of Dick or Berra who have also played CH in preseason.

I like the look of him as well, team player and you need boys like that

1 minute ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Without a doubt, he’ll be a great signing that’s for sure. Just need him in his natural position. 

13 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

The answer, as most are saying, is that he's woefully inconsistent, more then most, and we can't carry that any more. I think his jacket is on a shoogly nail right now.

Judging by Murrays body language yesterday , I think that's a given.

6 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Most of the flair players at this level are inconsistent. Otherwise they wouldn’t be playing at this level. Ross is inconsistent too, and Easton may also fall into this camp. Although, despite what Airdrie fans say, he must have been fairly consistent to get League 1 Player of the Year.

I’m not sure how to explain the second half of last season. I recall someone on here, probably Renton, noting that teams had worked out how to play against Zanatta to negate him.

Zanatta isn't a lazy player and he isn't not trying. He's trying too hard at times in all the wrong ways.

Murray seems to want a high pressing system. I don't think you could find any rounder a hole for Zanatta's square peg. It just isn't the way he plays.

McGlynn's 4-2-3-1 system enabled Zanatta to get into spaces where he could isolate defenders and turn them coming in from wide.

Murray's preferred 4-4-2 won't give him the space to do that out wide, but nor will he fit well into the second striker role that requires more of an engine and persistence than Zanatta has. Of the creative forward type players Murray inherited, he is certainly the one who will struggle to adapt and I think Murray already had a clear idea of that coming in - he's not someone Murray has really talked about in any of his interviews to date.

On the other hand, while Murray wants his full backs playing high, he doesn't seem to want or need them playing up to the byeline as McGlynn did and that in of itself might benefit Dick's style of game.

All of this us pertinent but also it has to be said that if the ball wasn't moving quickly enough yesterday then that is in large part down to Stanton who's job it was to anchor that midfield by and large.

Once we have a CB in and Brown is free to play farther forward, it'll be interesting to see how Murray accommodates him: an all action style player but probably without Stanton's technical edge, it's a question of who partners Easton, and then you have another head ache when Matthews and Spencer are fit again.

I’ve got no problem with Murray benching Mitchell and trying out Zanatta who, based on his experience, should be a likelier starter for us. If Zanatta doesn’t take that chance or show the correct desire then that’s his own problem and can have no complaints if he’s frozen out when the real action begins.

Got to love Rovers fans. After Wednesday's match we were going to win the league and now we're getting relegated.

As others have said this is still pre season. The crowd for both matches shows that as well with a lot of fans I suspect away on holiday. If we are playing the same way and losing matches come the end of August then perhaps reason to panic but I'm sure the reinforcements will arrive.

It doesn't help we have 4 players who would be starting every game in the stands just now. What was interesting yesterday was Matthews saying how he played through the pain barrier for most of last season. I think that says a long about our former management team and I guarantee Falkirk will see the same "unlucky" injuries this season.

4 hours ago, raith1974 said:

I meant he's a shite bag, backs out of tackles, doesn't compete for headers, won't put his body on the line. Other players are far more committed and just get stuck in. For someone who is 6ft he does not win his share of headers. As I said look at Connolly covers every blade of grass, puts his foot on and will at least try and win headers. 

Hyperbole.

Twice yesterday, Zanatta was in the box, and rather than trying to win a cheap penalty (remember those days?) he elected to stay on his feet an play football, I criticised him for this at the time, but that was out of frustration.

He is not a bad player.

Zanatta is far from a bad player as the first half of last season shows. However the second half of last season is equally valid as its pretty much the story of his career. 

For whatever reason he does not adapt to change well, be that the position he plays or having a plan b when teams isolate him or a defender gets the better of him. 

I suspect Murray was somewhat wary of him anyway and performances like yesterday will not do him any favours. 

Stirling are shite and we're there for the taking. The team were poor yesterday and its not fair to lay the blame at one players feet.

Which brings me on to Mr Stanton who is again far from a bad player in fact technically one of our best, but frustratingly inconsistent withbputting his stamp on the game. I think he flies under the radar but there are definite similarities with performances. 

Got to love Rovers fans. After Wednesday's match we were going to win the league and now we're getting relegated.

As others have said this is still pre season. The crowd for both matches shows that as well with a lot of fans I suspect away on holiday. If we are playing the same way and losing matches come the end of August then perhaps reason to panic but I'm sure the reinforcements will arrive.

It doesn't help we have 4 players who would be starting every game in the stands just now. What was interesting yesterday was Matthews saying how he played through the pain barrier for most of last season. I think that says a long about our former management team and I guarantee Falkirk will see the same "unlucky" injuries this season.
Calm doon. I don't think anyone is saying we're relegation bound just yet. That usually takes another fortnight or so.

3 hours ago, renton said:

All of this us pertinent but also it has to be said that if the ball wasn't moving quickly enough yesterday then that is in large part down to Stanton who's job it was to anchor that midfield by and large.

Once we have a CB in and Brown is free to play farther forward, it'll be interesting to see how Murray accommodates him: an all action style player but probably without Stanton's technical edge, it's a question of who partners Easton, and then you have another head ache when Matthews and Spencer are fit again.

Stanton continues to frustrate a wee bit, doesn't he? He seems to be entirely committed to keeping things ticking over, which he does admirably, but it's not really enough. Spencer does the same thing, but he can also then go and make things happen too, when the occasion calls for it. Stanton's neat and tidy, but I don't feel like we get a lot of potential game-changing moments from him, creatively or defensively.