The New Raith Rovers Thread

Noticed in the article from the courier it mentions -"with more new faces are expected in the coming weeks".

CB, Left sided player and another striker will do me please :D

Should come with the disclaimer: "Dependent upon who else they may have signed with in the meantime"

Should come with the disclaimer: "Dependent upon who else they may have signed with in the meantime"

Aye true :lol: , hope this mess gets sorted soon so we know where we lie in terms of striking options.

Aye true :lol: , hope this mess gets sorted soon so we know where we lie in terms of striking options.

Surely easily sorted out, I'd asusme the club have asked Elliot and his agent, then it's up to the clubs to examine the relevent paperwork. If you believe that poster Colinmc on the other thread, it looks like Elliot might have found a technicality in the Livi paperwork - something unheard of down Starks' way :whistle

Surely easily sorted out, I'd asusme the club have asked Elliot and his agent, then it's up to the clubs to examine the relevent paperwork. If you believe that poster Colinmc on the other thread, it looks like Elliot might have found a technicality in the Livi paperwork - something unheard of down Starks' way :whistle

From the horses mouth lol

Not happy about this, to be honest. From memory he isn't much of a goalscorer and he's made of chocolate.

That's before we get to that YouTube video...

Calum played behide the forwards at Alloa as we all know he's not a goal scorer and was brilliant behide the forwards. You will see he can still play. He's not been injured for few years now

Lot of confusing in this matter. Grant Russell of STV claims he didn't have an agent. Someone on Twitter said the agent made the deal and that Elliot went to Livi on his own. Question is did he sign all the required papers there or no. Why doesn't livi show those papers? Should be fairly easy to so.

Obviously someone is lying here big time or sleeping very deeply

Lot of confusing in this matter. Grant Russell of STV claims he didn't have an agent. Someone on Twitter said the agent made the deal and that Elliot went to Livi on his own. Question is did he sign all the required papers there or no. Why doesn't livi show those papers? Should be fairly easy to so.

Obviously someone is lying here big time or sleeping very deeply

I'm saying it on twitter, different name I know lol.

Hello again everyone. Been away from the site for a bit but I've been catching up with the thread and following the summer's developments with interest. I missed loads of games last season, think I was at fewer than half of them in the end. So in terms of team and players I don't feel especially well-qualified to have any firmly held opinions. But in true internet style that isn't going to stop me doing so anyway so I might as well get stuck in.

Of the players who we know have left I'm very sorry to have lost Walker. I'd have kept him on if at all possible - I know you can't run a club on sentiment but it's not all that easy to replace his sort of commitment, and I always got the impression he had an influence beyond his playing ability. Though obviously Murray knows that best and I'm happy to trust to his judgement. The others leave with my best wishes and all did jobs for us - Stuart Anderson I was sceptical of to begin with but grew to appreciate; Mensing and Malone were decent enough; and Hammill was a good deal better than he was often given credit for, though he reminded me a little bit of Rob Sloan in the sense that we never really worked out where best to play him - he lacked the pace and drive to make a really dangerous wide player, but seemed like a bit of a luxury playing in a two-man centre midfield.

As for where that leaves the squad:

'keepers:

Delighted Laidlaw has re-signed, very good young 'keeper. Obviously it'll be terrific if McGurn does so too (is that confirmed yet?) but - while the McGurn of 2009/10ish would have been a clear first choice - I don't see that there's very much at all to choose between them at this stage, and I'm not taking it as read that Laidlaw will be the one who starts the season on the bench.

Full-backs:

Nothing needs to be said about Thomson - great that he's staying. I presume, particularly given the number of full-timers we seem to be signing, that we are again going with a very small squad so Donaldson will be left-back. Hill and Ellis can both cover there if required.

Centre-backs:

I always find it really hard to judge defenders. There are some who always look terrific and seem to cut out everything every time you notice them, but then a big hole opens in defence and, as a casual viewer, I'm left scratching my head wondering whose fault that was. So again, while I've always been a bit suspcious of Hill's decision-making, I'm happy to defer to Murray's judgement there. I would certainly say that Hill cares about the club more than Mensing would ever have done, and that counts for something. It seems unlikely that Murray and Ellis would be relying on themselves too much though, so there'll surely be another player coming in. I'll be happy if the Craig Barr rumours are true.

Centre-mid:

Interesting that Murray seems to have viewed this as the area that most needed addressing, and like most of us I'm very pleased with the signings of Moon and Fox. Not going to get too carried away though - I remember Moon being very highly-rated as a youngster but I haven't, personally, seen an awful lot of him since. Fox I always rated, right from when I first saw him a few years back, but he does have his limitations which I have seen some Livi fans complain about on p&b over time. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out anyway, and Callachan should provide back-up.

Wingers:

Grant Anderson was frustrating at times in the way that only wingers seem to know how to be, but on good days he provided an edge that we'd been lacking for years, again I'm glad he's staying. Cardle is another player I always rated when playing against us, he might not have done match in those few games for us last season but I hope he signs on. If not, no matter. No urgency to fill that squad place either, sure we'd get by until the inevitable loan signings start coming in.

Up front:

Every year Raith seem to sign a forward who stays for two years then moves upwards - Tade then Baird then Graham, each overlapping a year with his predecessor. It wouldn't at all surprise me if Spence has a great season and continues that pattern. Though that might then be the end up of, because while Elliot and Clarke are tidy enough - if the latter signs on and if the former is permitted by the SFA to do so - neither of them, at this stage of their careers, is going to set any heather on fire. It would be lovely if there were some more exciting options in the pipeline, but we'd have to be reasonably content with that.

I'm really looking forward to the season anyway. It's clear that Murray is making his own squad now in the way he didn't have the chance to do last summer, and I really want it to work out for him, for his sake as well as ours.

When do the fixtures come out?

Calum played behide the forwards at Alloa as we all know he's not a goal scorer and was brilliant behide the forwards. You will see he can still play. He's not been injured for few years now

I'm glad he's managed to keep himself injury free for a few years. From memory, he had an awful time with injury at Hearts and spent sporadic periods out on loan when not injured, hence my initial lack of enthusiasm.

Perhaps he'll line up playing slightly behind Spence?

I mostly remember Elliot for getting injured about ten seconds into his big comeback game for Dundee, when we played them at Dens.

Crumpled under a Prychenko challenge IIRC,

His lobbed goal against the pars was a thing of beauty ;)

Oh & welcome back Yoss!

Crumpled under a Prychenko challenge IIRC,

His lobbed goal against the pars was a thing of beauty ;)

Oh & welcome back Yoss!

I thought it was a challenge from Dyer, was an awful, awful game from memory! 1-0 or something in the end.

Hope he can stay injury free, seemed to have a fairly solid season with plenty appearances in Lithuania but then again I know next to nothing about the league!