The New Raith Rovers Thread

15 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Kinda glad County stayed up. Parachute payments, plus they are loaded so them on top of Dundee United I think would have made it difficult. Thistle will be absolute reeling. 

Thistle will bring a better crowd and we've a reasonable record against them in recent years. As you mention, they're not getting money ploughed in off the back of a rich backer either and it's inherently funny given you know there would've been a lot of posts about how the 19/20 season ended in our direction. 

5 minutes ago, Dalziel8 said:

First of me seeing Laidlaw play since he left us. Pretty surprised at some of the stick he was getting from pour fans on here before the game on the evidence of today anyway 

Hard to believe hes 31 this year, just a youngster when he left us 

As funny as that bed shiting was by Partick, it just highlights the absolute mountain teams have to climb if they finish 4th to get promoted. 

6 games vs 2 at the end of a long season it's no wonder a 4th placed team have never managed to get up. 

For us it works out better in terms of 2 less away day's up north and Partick won't get money chucked at them by an uncle Roy. 

I actually think this coming season will be tighter than the one just gone. Dundee Utd will fancy it but Goodwin is surely in the last chance saloon, Queens Park will throw money at it again, the pars and Airdrie will likely have a promotion bounce. Arbroath look to be sorting themselves out, will imrie build on what he has at Morton? Then there's us and our mini revolution. 

Can't fucking wait. 

7 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Dundee Utd will fancy it but Goodwin is surely in the last chance saloon

United are favourites granted but if he doesn’t start strong he will be under pressure because like what Aberdeen done and the United players done last season (with Ross) they’ll throw him under a bus 

31 minutes ago, Dalziel8 said:

First of me seeing Laidlaw play since he left us. Pretty surprised at some of the stick he was getting from pour fans on here before the game on the evidence of today anyway 

I don't know. His handling was generally fine but over the two legs there were a few times he was far from convincing with his shot stopping. He'd no doubt be a decent keeper at our level but he's not really top league calibre I don't think. 

The problem with Laidlaw during his time with us was that he had a mistake in him. And when he made one, he would keep chucking goals away until he was eventually dropped. 

Other than that he was fine, but it was a pretty glaring flaw that he had. 

7 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I don't know. His handling was generally fine but over the two legs there were a few times he was far from convincing with his shot stopping. He'd no doubt be a decent keeper at our level but he's not really top league calibre I don't think. 

I don't think he was really at fault for any of the County goals, he had one or two shots to deal with other than that and did what was needed. 

9 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

So were gonna have a million attackers and about 3 defenders, Murray’s new way of all out attack prepare for 9-9 draws every week 😂

Maybe we're looking to offload or happy to sell/lose some of the players under contract. Arnott, Ross or Gullan could be viewed as expendable. 

10 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I don't think he was really at fault for any of the County goals, he had one or two shots to deal with other than that and did what was needed. 

Maybe we're looking to offload or happy to sell/lose some of the players under contract. Arnott, Ross or Gullan could be viewed as expendable. 

That's my view, we may be looking to put certainly the kids out on loan but maybe we are looking to offload one or 2 under contract. 

We had no strikers last season, we have signed one, so should be looking to bring a 2nd one in. 

As I've said I still believe we will have 24 players plus kids.

30 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

He is literally an established top league goalkeeper. 

47 minutes ago, pub car king said:

As funny as that bed shiting was by Partick, it just highlights the absolute mountain teams have to climb if they finish 4th to get promoted. 

6 games vs 2 at the end of a long season it's no wonder a 4th placed team have never managed to get up. 

I agree in principal but to play the devils advocate and add context, Ross Co only played 2 less games over their league campaign than Partick in theirs.

The only real difference being Partick had 2 games in a week twice in May to Ross Co's 1 time.

In May:

Ross Co played 5 games

Partick played 5 games

In June:

They played each other H & A.

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

Thistle played 6 games in May. County played 7 games in May.

Thistle got 5 days rest before the 1st leg. County got 3 days rest before the 1st leg.

What, exactly, hindered Partick and helped County about that?

Championship clubs need to get over this absolute fucking loser mentality of thinking things are set up against them. Its really not, and it just invites shitebag performances. Thats two years in a row a Championship side has absolutely collapsed in a 2nd leg v a rancid top flight side.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thistle got 5 days rest before the 1st leg. County got 3 days rest before the 1st leg.

Championship clubs need to get over this absolute fucking loser mentality of thinking things are set up against them. Its really not, and it just invites shitebag performances. Thats two years in a row a Championship side has absolutely collapsed in a 2nd leg v a rancid top flight side.

It’s 3 cup finals, 6 high pressure games at the end of a season of 36 games. It’s no surprise that no 4th place team has managed to get promotion. I thought Partick Thistle would buck that trend, but it wasn’t to be.

Out of interest, how many 3rd place teams have managed to get promoted?

How many 2nd place teams have been promoted? 

@HibeeJibee

Edited by Scary Bear

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

By the same token, the “mentality” is established by the differing formats for the playoffs…which is effectively caused by the 12 teams with the split format of the Premiership due to TV. We could use the same format, but it would extend the end of the season by at least a week, which cuts into the season break, which is unpopular.

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

It’s 3 cup finals, 6 high pressure games at the end of a season of 36 games. It’s not surprise that no 4th place team has managed to get promotion. I thought Partick Thistle would buck that trend, but it wasn’t to be.

And Ross County weren't guaranteed 11th until the final game of the season, do their final games not have the same pressure on them?

I'd suggest its more like that no team from 4th has got promotion because they're a mid-table Championship side, rather than some huge pressure on them. Thistle lost today because they completely wilted when it came to crunch, not because they'd had so many big games.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't disagree with your summary there, but whats the mentality in pandering to the mediocrity that finishes 2nd bottom by giving them another lifeline, relegate them instantly like they deserve and have the 3 teams in the championship play off 4th v 3rd, winner plays 2nd. Or even better, increase the league size to at least 16 in both divisions and have a 3 up, 3 down system. Unfortunately given that the wee shitey clubs in the top league are too scared to give up their meal ticket of an additional game against the bigot brothers each season for any proper change to happen. So we move on with the status quo and mediocrity gets rewarded.