The New Raith Rovers Thread

he may well be the one we offered a contract too. A lot of names have been banded about but his hasn't been one of them.

There seems to be a severe lack of decent centre backs at the moment who are free agents. Wouldn't surprise me if we bring in a cb on loan as cover and start the season with Hill and Ellis/Donaldson

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Pie & Bovril mobile app

I'm fairly sure it wasn't. Last I heard - just before we signed Cardle - was that we were waiting on a decision from a centre back, so who knows what the situation is now.

I'm fairly sure it wasn't. Last I heard - just before we signed Cardle - was that we were waiting on a decision from a centre back, so who knows what the situation is now.

with the lack of a cb as a trialist it makes u think that we are putting all our eggs in the one basket

With the centre back at least we can afford to bide our time, we have the players there to cover but ideally we need another one in there. Im a bit wary about getting a centre half on loan, cant remember any one we have had on loan for that position, we have had plenty of left backs and a right back or 2

A decent center-back is more about consistency than anything else (I know that this is stating the obvious). Players don't have to be particularly skillful to be good in the position. I'm delighted we've got Cardle up and now we can take our time to weigh up our options over a defender. Keep in mind that Dougie Hill came to us from an Alloa team which spent the season fighting relegation. Nobody gave the lad a chance but he's proven himself fine at this level (discipline aside).

I remember when Laurie came back as well I remember alot of people unhappy with it and he has probably been one of our most consistant players over the last few years. I still have nightmares of when he was playing left mid tho *shudders*

I remember when Laurie came back as well I remember alot of people unhappy with it and he has probably been one of our most consistant players over the last few years. I still have nightmares of when he was playing left mid tho *shudders*

Never got the rub of the green....

With the centre back at least we can afford to bide our time, we have the players there to cover but ideally we need another one in there. Im a bit wary about getting a centre half on loan, cant remember any one we have had on loan for that position, we have had plenty of left backs and a right back or 2

I think Campbell may initially have been a loan from St Johnstone in the latter half of the 05/06 season?

The club have kept the cb contract offer quite tight lipped as we normally have some idea of who it is. Someone normally see's or hears something but nothing is quite unusual for us

Still not my cup of tea at centre half, doesn't get enough purchase on his headers, not physical enough, and has no pace.

His consistency is probably down to his reading of the game, and experience, or the shite that was playing against/ alongside him.

David Armstrong from Hearts in 2009/10. He's the only one that springs to mind offhand.

(Edited to add - and that was because of an injury crisis rather than any strategic planning.)

Edited by Yoss

David Armstrong from Hearts in 2009/10. He's the only one that springs to mind offhand.

(Edited to add - and that was because of an injury crisis rather than any strategic planning.)

Good shout tho as you say was down to injuries rather than looking long term

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Still not my cup of tea at centre half, doesn't get enough purchase on his headers, not physical enough, and has no pace.

His consistency is probably down to his reading of the game, and experience, or the shite that was playing against/ alongside him.

when did you last see him play?.ellis is a fine central defender,his best position.we have a central defender at the moment who could described as too physical and no pace

Edited by Rovers_Lad

when did you last see him play?.ellis is a fine central defender,his best position.we have a central defender at the moment who could described as too physical and no pace

Last time i saw Ellis play, was the last time he played a competitive match v Livvy, in May.

I also remember his debut v Airdrie if that helps, and he had a great game that day.

Laurie has been alot more consistant over the piece than Hill has been, he had a few shakey games last season but our whole defence seem to be like that. At left back he often gets exposed but he has been very solid at the back and was extremely composed against Sheffield utd

Guess our offer has been booted out then, ach well just need to wait and see if anyone becomes avialable before the window closes