The New Raith Rovers Thread

Sack the manager! Sack the board! Sack the players! Burn the ground down! Salt the earth so that nothing can grow again!

Some of the over reactions to last night did border on the hysterical, apparently due to a healthy dose of assuming that because of Hearts playing their younger players and having financial worries, that they should've been push overs. I don't suppose there is any use in pointing out that a lot of these guys played a full season in the SPL, that guys like jamie Walker, Jason Holt and David Smith were usually the best players in our team when they had them on loan, or that despite a tough season last year, that Hearts team could realy turn it on - witness the last season turnaround against an in form Ross County for example.

Allowing for that, we contained hearts reasonably well, and were undone largely by some brutal individual errors. The first and last goals we could've done better as a team, sloppy attempt to clear the ball for the first goal with McHattie free at the back post and the fifth one was a good cross and an unmarked header, although being in the dying minutes and 4-0 down already may have affected the teams concentration anyway.

Goals two, three and four all involved individual mistakes: Laidlaw is not a bad keeper by any means, but should never have let the second squirm under him (Dougie Hill was unlucky not to have intercepted what wasn't even his ball to chase in the first place) and the fourth, he's parried a shot back out in front of him, which was suicide. In both these cases the Hearts forwards are moving quickly and it's simply beyond our first division defence to keep up with them - they were almost certainly a faster team across the park than Hibs were. The third goal was simply a brutal mistake by Watson, who let the ball bounce and got caught on the hop by Jamie Walker - not a guy any central defender wants to get caught chasing towards their own goal.

Livi fans are adamant that watson will leak goals, it was certainly not a dream start for the guy, but for the benefit of the doubt, I don't know if he's even had a training session with us yet, he didn't look sharp - although he did have a couple of nice tackles, and does want to try and play the ball a bit more, rather than the 100% gaurenteed hump up the park.

So what were the positives? Our midfield looks a damn sight stronger than at any point since we came back up. Cardle caused problems all day long, and will be the main creative force in our side: Either going outside to the byline or cutting inside and linking midfield to forward he gives a lot of options for the team. On the other side Anderson gives us strength and pace and tracks back well. His final ball is stil la bit of a lottery. In the middle Moon and Fox look like a decent partnership. They position themselves well both in offence and defence and Moon in particular looks a real good player. Always makes himself available for a pass, good at breaking up play and getting forward when he can.

Another big positive is Callachan coming on to a game. Looked very asusred when he was on the pitch, and looks like he can push Moon and Fox for a starting berth. The trialist looked decent in the wee spell he wa son, I think he does offer us a differnet style of play which could be useful in the long run.

Up front, Elliot did a lot of useful work in the build up, his strength helped hold the ball up and his use of the ball was generally smart. Goes down a bit too easy and moans a lot. I think he'll be a Hislop type character: is gonna split opinion, wil do a lot of good work but maybe not grab that many goals and will get pounced on by the home support for the first little mistake. Spence and Smith are similar players: Spence is faster, Smith is stronger. Between the three of them I'd expect us to score goals, but we've chosen friendlies that does limit our forwards sight of goal. Having said that we did produce some decent chances that went begging more to do with split second decisions, either going to early or the corss going in behind the forward line, than any basic iincompetence fromt he forwards. I'd be more worried if we were skying the ball over an empty net six times per friendly.

So yeah, we had a lot of neat possession, worked some good chances, looked comfortable in midfield for the first time in a few years and got undone by a defence all at sea. We can cut out the individual mistakes and McGurn and Ellis can come in for Laidlaw and watson if need be (albeit that would be harsh given it was a friendly). I'd be far more worried if the general quality of the players wasn't there, and if Murray was suing a bunk system, but we looked pretty good on the ball and used it generally quite well - particularly in the first half.

Have to agree with this in full. Some of the comments I was hearing were just plain ridiculous. It's only the 3rd friendly match of the season and yet I heard boo's. These reactions make the our fans look moronic at times. If after 10 games into the season we are down the bottom having conceded a barrel load and scored hew haw then fair enough but people completely forget that this is a whole new team playing together who are learning against better quality sides. "7 conceded 1 scored"...we've played Sheff Utd, Hibs and Hearts! If it was East Striling, Montrose and Burntisland Shipyard then I'd be with you but come on.

Last night in the first half we played some really good stuff. How many times did the pass go across the box only for a player to just miss it? Hearts scored with their only 2 shots on goal and both were defensive errors which can be rectified.

The 2nd half started poorly but once again it was all individual errors that can be rectified. Maybe apart from the 5th goal all are avoidable and it's mistakes that I would hope can be ironed out. As has been said Watson only just signed. He has probably never trained with the team before. I'm actually glad he was signed before the match as if he was an actual trialist last night the the Rovers lynch mob would have made sure he wouldn't be back.

At the end of the day it's a friendly match. Man Utd lost 1-0 to a Thailand All Stars team, Celtic conceded 12 and only scored 3 in their German tour but look what they did last night. Friendly matches are all about gaining fitness and, especially this year, getting new players to gel together. We have a fairly new and young team.

Sack the manager! Sack the board! Sack the players! Burn the ground down! Salt the earth so that nothing can grow again!

Some of the over reactions to last night did border on the hysterical, apparently due to a healthy dose of assuming that because of Hearts playing their younger players and having financial worries, that they should've been push overs. I don't suppose there is any use in pointing out that a lot of these guys played a full season in the SPL, that guys like jamie Walker, Jason Holt and David Smith were usually the best players in our team when they had them on loan, or that despite a tough season last year, that Hearts team could realy turn it on - witness the last season turnaround against an in form Ross County for example.

Allowing for that, we contained hearts reasonably well, and were undone largely by some brutal individual errors. The first and last goals we could've done better as a team, sloppy attempt to clear the ball for the first goal with McHattie free at the back post and the fifth one was a good cross and an unmarked header, although being in the dying minutes and 4-0 down already may have affected the teams concentration anyway.

Goals two, three and four all involved individual mistakes: Laidlaw is not a bad keeper by any means, but should never have let the second squirm under him (Dougie Hill was unlucky not to have intercepted what wasn't even his ball to chase in the first place) and the fourth, he's parried a shot back out in front of him, which was suicide. In both these cases the Hearts forwards are moving quickly and it's simply beyond our first division defence to keep up with them - they were almost certainly a faster team across the park than Hibs were. The third goal was simply a brutal mistake by Watson, who let the ball bounce and got caught on the hop by Jamie Walker - not a guy any central defender wants to get caught chasing towards their own goal.

Livi fans are adamant that watson will leak goals, it was certainly not a dream start for the guy, but for the benefit of the doubt, I don't know if he's even had a training session with us yet, he didn't look sharp - although he did have a couple of nice tackles, and does want to try and play the ball a bit more, rather than the 100% gaurenteed hump up the park.

So what were the positives? Our midfield looks a damn sight stronger than at any point since we came back up. Cardle caused problems all day long, and will be the main creative force in our side: Either going outside to the byline or cutting inside and linking midfield to forward he gives a lot of options for the team. On the other side Anderson gives us strength and pace and tracks back well. His final ball is stil la bit of a lottery. In the middle Moon and Fox look like a decent partnership. They position themselves well both in offence and defence and Moon in particular looks a real good player. Always makes himself available for a pass, good at breaking up play and getting forward when he can.

Another big positive is Callachan coming on to a game. Looked very asusred when he was on the pitch, and looks like he can push Moon and Fox for a starting berth. The trialist looked decent in the wee spell he wa son, I think he does offer us a differnet style of play which could be useful in the long run.

Up front, Elliot did a lot of useful work in the build up, his strength helped hold the ball up and his use of the ball was generally smart. Goes down a bit too easy and moans a lot. I think he'll be a Hislop type character: is gonna split opinion, wil do a lot of good work but maybe not grab that many goals and will get pounced on by the home support for the first little mistake. Spence and Smith are similar players: Spence is faster, Smith is stronger. Between the three of them I'd expect us to score goals, but we've chosen friendlies that does limit our forwards sight of goal. Having said that we did produce some decent chances that went begging more to do with split second decisions, either going to early or the corss going in behind the forward line, than any basic iincompetence fromt he forwards. I'd be more worried if we were skying the ball over an empty net six times per friendly.

So yeah, we had a lot of neat possession, worked some good chances, looked comfortable in midfield for the first time in a few years and got undone by a defence all at sea. We can cut out the individual mistakes and McGurn and Ellis can come in for Laidlaw and watson if need be (albeit that would be harsh given it was a friendly). I'd be far more worried if the general quality of the players wasn't there, and if Murray was suing a bunk system, but we looked pretty good on the ball and used it generally quite well - particularly in the first half.

Here Here sir, agree with most of that.

This was my first look at the new team and I was largely impressed. There was never 5 goals between the sides last night. 3 Hearts goals were individual errors and the first and last could easily be attributed to poor communication between a defence still to gel. Hearts had some real quality up front and punished us in a way that most 1st division teams won't. Hopefully Murray and the team will be working hard on the errors from last night which will reduce the likelihood of them occurring when the season starts.

As for the midfield, I was well impressed. The midfield looks as strong a midfield as we've had since the 90's and capable of winning and playing the ball. Cardle looks fantastic, a real exciting prospect and one that may encourage a few bums on seats next season. Anderson provides enough threat on the other side to prevent us being too one sided.

Up front it's still too early to tell. We have played three sides so far that are significantly higher quality than anything we will face in SPFL1 this season. We created chances though and looked good in spells so there is encouragement however 1 goal in 3 games is hardly a prolific return.

Still excited about the season to come, feel we are hugely improved from last season which should result in a tilt at the playoffs at least. Time will tell though.

Regardless of last nights result, we have a squad of players capable of creating and scoring plenty goals. Friendlies are just that, few if any of our players are playing at 100% pace/commitment which in itself can lead to errors.

Watson is a player Murray must see good potential in, still far from finished article for a CB.

Over to you Bert to sort the tactical side of things and to mould these guys into a team, playing together AS a team......

Defending cross balls/set pieces was never our strong point last season, I'm a wee bit concerned about it again this time round, hope this is an area the manager is really working on.

Incidently, sure it has been mentioned already but Greig Spence looks like he has bulked up quite a lot over the course of the Summer. Looks a lot stronger when retaining his speed. I think he'll be a massive player for us if he gets the game time that Brian Graham got.

Tonight was my first Pre-season game, and despite the scoreline I still went away happy, mostly because we are actually looking like (whisper it) we are playing attractive football again, there was a lot of nice passing & moving and in Cardle we have somebody who excites the fans again every time he gets the ball

would you go away happy if it had been a league game and we`d been scudded but played attractive football?

hiya grant

Excellent post!! I am sure this speaks for a very large number of Raith fans.

would you go away happy if it had been a league game and we`d been scudded but played attractive football?

??????

Given the fact there will be nobody as good as Heart of Midlothian FC in SPFL1 and it's highly unlikely we would start a lwith our backup keeper, play a centre-half who signs on hour or so before kick off or take possibly the best player on the park off just after half time in order to try something different,

No I wouldn't be happy,

But to be honest I've seen us scuffed by 5 playing "tight at the back hoofball" so your question is irrelevant Rovers Lad,

Sorry fat fingers hit send on last msg to soon & edit function not working on phone app...

May head down to the game on Saturday. I expect ICT to be at full strength as you guys are obviously a step up from the Highland League sides we've faced so far. I'd quite like to see Ryan Christie (son of Charlie) get some game time. He plays the same role as his dad used to. He's impressed so far in pre-season and was getting rave reviews in the under 20's last season. He was MOTM by a mile last night against Clach.

There were a few people booing last night, but the players were also clapped off the park, which I was pleased with. It shows the majority of people are reasonable, and recognise the game for what it was.

Where I was sitting a few boos were aimed at Elliot for twice trying to kick out at a hearts player and then shoving him and then not chasing the keeper down and instead giving him time to pick out a pass. Petty things I know but at the end the same people clapped the team off which is good to see.

??????

Given the fact there will be nobody as good as Heart of Midlothian FC in SPFL1 and it's highly unlikely we would start a lwith our backup keeper, play a centre-half who signs on hour or so before kick off or take possibly the best player on the park off just after half time in order to try something different,

Agreed. I couldn't believe it when people starting booing Cardle getting taken off. He's clearly our best player and got a good hour under him last night. Would they rather he stay on till the end and risk injury and be out for months?

No pleasing some fans!

Agreed. I couldn't believe it when people starting booing Cardle getting taken off. He's clearly our best player and got a good hour under him last night. Would they rather he stay on till the end and risk injury and be out for months?

No pleasing some fans!

Precisely, it was a friendly, a chance for Murray to see what works and what doesn't and as good as Cardle was, we need to know how the team will play when he's not in it.

Its good to see who the complete and utter morons are in the South Stand when its quiet.

There is no pleasing some of these clowns.

They could start with learning the rules ie the whole ball has to be out before its a throw in, when its Ok to shape your body to sheild a ball, why deliberately running into the opposition is not a free kick.

This could be closely followed by being able to identify our players. Last night some clown was shouting and screeming at Spence when Elliot had made a mistake. I mean they look so similar don't they?

These games have been pre-season friendlies. The whole point is for the manager to assess the players and for the players to gel together. The results would have definately been different if the matches were competitive. No-one put in real challenges or took part in the gamesmanship (tugs, nips, kicks etc) that goes in during competitive matches.

Get a grip folks. Things are looking more positive with this team than they have for many years. At least wait until we are playing against our peers before judging the players and manager.

Having watched the highlights, the fifth goal was either a mile offside or Jason Thomson was ten yards behind the rest of the defence, so another individual error.

Hopefully they get them out the road now.