The New Raith Rovers Thread

With the exception of Brian Graham, every one of our released players at the end of last season seems to have ended up at a lower league club.

Walker and Anderson - Brechin

Malone - Stenhousemuir

Clarke - East Fife

Hamill - Stirling (don't know if he has signed yet)

And you could probably include Wilson - Montrose.

Just thought it was pretty interesting that not one of our released players will play in the same league as us this year.

Well, Mensing ended up at Livi, though you could say that doesn't count since we actually offered him terms to stay. I think it is a bit of a general trend over the years, Murray last year and McGlynn definitely in the years previously managed to get more out of the team than the individual components in them would suggest they should've.

Well, Mensing ended up at Livi, though you could say that doesn't count since we actually offered him terms to stay. I think it is a bit of a general trend over the years, Murray last year and McGlynn definitely in the years previously managed to get more out of the team than the individual components in them would suggest they should've.

Fs. Can't believe I forgot him :lol:

Totally agree with what your saying though.

Had posted this before I thought of the possible connection with you... and Pat Clarke's initials!!

Need tae look oot yer auld leather boots wi' the square taes :lol:

Must of seen me play if you know about my toe bashing shots lol

Alas think id fail the medical, or indeed any kind of quality testing. Probably need a gurdle for keeping under my top as well.

Either a trend, or an eye opener to the fact our players are not as good as we think/desire.

Either a trend, or an eye opener to the fact our players are not as good as we think/desire.

Yeah, or they don't offer anything better than what other first division clubs already have. A guy like Allan Walker is still probably first divison level, and a couple of years back he banged ina good dozen league goals from midfield and is always good for a half dozen goals at this level, so it's not lacking the ability to play at this level, it could be more the fact that they don't have an edge over other players at the same level, so when they are released by us, they aren't good enough to go up the way and there is no room for a sideweays move either. So it's down a division. Another guy in that mould for me is Johnny Stewart who we had briefly on loan from hearts, looked comfortable as a first divison player but is plying his trade in the second with East fife.

I think if you look at it, we've sent Baird, graham and Tade to the SPL, Mensing and Dyer went 'sideways' to other first division clubs and the rest all dropped a division.

It is possible that we could take into account that more clubs are in line with our own budget than before. McGlynn did a fantastic job with a continually shrinking budget, especially given the teams we were competing against. Nowadays, more teams are forced into a situation where they've got to cut-back on their budgets while we're used to the situation. The signings of Moon and Cardle in particular are two fantastic bits of business. If we can keep them fit then they'll be excellent players for us.

It is possible that we could take into account that more clubs are in line with our own budget than before. McGlynn did a fantastic job with a continually shrinking budget, especially given the teams we were competing against. Nowadays, more teams are forced into a situation where they've got to cut-back on their budgets while we're used to the situation. The signings of Moon and Cardle in particular are two fantastic bits of business. If we can keep them fit then they'll be excellent players for us.

No doubt that this years team looks to have a bit more quality about it, particularly in the midfield.

I think if you look at it, we've sent Baird, graham and Tade to the SPL, Mensing and Dyer went 'sideways' to other first division clubs and the rest all dropped a division.

I'm glad we have done all our business this season, as that reads like a WARNING - playing for Raith Rovers will seriously harm your career. :blink:

I'm glad we have done all our business this season, as that reads like a WARNING - playing for Raith Rovers will seriously harm your career. :blink:

Simmons and Campbell both went sideways as well, notw I come to think of it: both to QoS - except one of them only did half a year or so before dropping out of senior football altogehter and the other was not exactly well loved by the QoS fans in a team that got relegated.

I think, generally, it's a case that your footballing career options are generally limited before you get to Starks, not because of it.

Think Lewis Bonar will be given a full game against Spartans tomorrow along with Watson and Donaldson

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Pie & Bovril mobile app

From Fantalk, the posters name is Mayfield, says he is his dad.

Just been told there is no budget left to sign him.

He was promised a contract when he arrived 6weeks ago.

Just told on Saturday that they would sort a contract for him.

Spineless manager told him over the phone no deal.

Season starts next week.

That's how your manager treats youth players.

Edited by Zen Archer

From Fantalk, the posters name is Mayfield, says he is his dad.

Just been told there is no budget left to sign him.

He was promised a contract when he arrived 6weeks ago.

Just told on Saturday that they would sort a contract for him.

Spineless manager told him over the phone no deal.

Season starts next week.

That's how your manager treats youth players.

Why would the club 'promise' anything to a player they can't have seen or been very aware of (he was in Australia, was he not)?

Why would the club 'promise' anything to a player they can't have seen or been very aware of (he was in Australia, was he not)?

Doesn't all add up. If you were a player and were told you were getting a contract, after a week you'd be wondering what was going on if you hadn't received one yet.

Doesn't all add up. If you were a player and were told you were getting a contract, after a week you'd be wondering what was going on if you hadn't received one yet.

One thing that annoys me is the idea that Murray is spineless (if all this is true) for telling the lad over the phone. What makes footballers any different to the rest of us, there has been enough times when I didn't get a job and all I got was a brief e-mail telling me so.

One thing that annoys me is the idea that Murray is spineless (if all this is true) for telling the lad over the phone. What makes footballers any different to the rest of us, there has been enough times when I didn't get a job and all I got was a brief e-mail telling me so.

Totally agree.

I think 'the paw' is lacking a bit of class here, I don't think ma boy would appreciate me fighting his battles when he reaches his 20's. The manager didn't fancy him, I'm sure if he has the right attitude, he will use this as a motivator, to show he is good enough for SPFL 1 level. Craig Brewster being the perfect example, after being horsed out of Dundee United, by Jim McLean for playing golf, when he should have been training, he ends up finally scoring the winner in a cup final for Dundee United.

We have all been told bad news over the phone, as someone said on fan talk, imagine if Murray had asked him to Starks Park, and told him he wasn't required, and then the boy crashed his car on the way home ? Murray would get slaughtered.

If Murray was spineless we'd be looking forward to Allan Walker screeching and flapping his way through next season again.