The New Raith Rovers Thread

Regardless if the guy was a parent or troll, I can't tell you how impressed I have been with our manager this close season. He's made correct decisions every step of the way so far - getting rid of Walker, keeping Hill, bringing a more mobile left back and central midfielders, waiting for Cardle.

He's just got it right!

The only slight worry is if Spence can strike a decent partnership with Elliot but I'm sure the supply will be there from midfield as well as wings this season.

We look to be having a fairly fluid system as a result of his signings as well. It looks like a 4-4-2 on paper but I think it's closer to a 4-2-3-1, with Moon and Fox as deep lying playmakers with Anderson and Cardle wide in front of them with Elliot slightly more advanced but playing more of a link up role than out and out striker, behind Spence at the tip. It makes the most of Cardle's versatility and good passing plays when he cuts in side, acting as an attacking midfielder at times and allows Anderson to cut inside as well, where he is a genuine goal threat. With two mobile full backs we won't lack too much width either.

The big challenge from an attacking point of view is training Spence to have the discipline to stay up in that advanced role, as his style of play last year tended to involve him as the 'hard working' support to Graham. This year he has to stay a bit more central.

Squad numbers announced:

http://www.raithrovers.net/9599/rrfc-201314-squad-details-announced.htm

Think that pretty much settles any doubts about what his starting eleven is going to be - Saturday's team but with Spence rather than Smith. Which is probably what I'd have gone with too.

(Squad numbers are still a sack of old shit, mind.)

Notice the 'typical' first team players are numbered up to 18 then the youth players start at 21. Maybe reading too much in to it but 19 and 20 being held back for another couple of permanent/loan signings?

Edited by ribzanelli

As much as folk go on about the squad numbers can you imagine being a youth player and getting a numbered shirt for the first team for the start of the season? It may be a cosmetic thing but im all for it

We look to be having a fairly fluid system as a result of his signings as well. It looks like a 4-4-2 on paper but I think it's closer to a 4-2-3-1, with Moon and Fox as deep lying playmakers with Anderson and Cardle wide in front of them with Elliot slightly more advanced but playing more of a link up role than out and out striker, behind Spence at the tip. It makes the most of Cardle's versatility and good passing plays when he cuts in side, acting as an attacking midfielder at times and allows Anderson to cut inside as well, where he is a genuine goal threat. With two mobile full backs we won't lack too much width either.

Absolutely.

I'm looking forward to the season because, despite the lack of wins so far, the style has been radically altered. Let's face it - we've needed a refresh for a number of years now and it will take time to knit together but despite that fact we've not looked out of our depth against better teams (didn't see the Hearts game)

Is it common practice for players not to wear a number 13 shirt as I notice number 13 is missing as well?

isnt it just to avoid bad luck with not having 13 in use? Think most teams do it

Regardless if the guy was a parent or troll, I can't tell you how impressed I have been with our manager this close season. He's made correct decisions every step of the way so far - getting rid of Walker, keeping Hill, bringing a more mobile left back and central midfielders, waiting for Cardle.

He's just got it right!

The only slight worry is if Spence can strike a decent partnership with Elliot but I'm sure the supply will be there from midfield as well as wings this season.

The guy has posted that his son has been signed by Montrose.

Laidlaw

Bates

Donaldson

Murray

Ellis

Callachan

Matthews

Vaughan

Aitken

Robertsonson

Trailist

3 trialists on bench

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Laidlaw

Bates

Donaldson

Murray

Ellis

Callachan

Matthews

Vaughan

Aitken

Robertsonson

Trailist

3 trialists on bench

Mair trialists when will the juggernaut that is RRFC 2013/14 be satisfied......

Laidlaw

Bates

Donaldson

Murray

Ellis

Callachan

Matthews

Vaughan

Aitken

Robertsonson

Trailist

3 trialists on bench

is bonar starting?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Hello Rovers Fans.

Doing Fantasy Football research. Is this your current first team squad?

David McGurn

Ross Laidlaw

Jason Thomson

Callum Booth

Paul Watson

Dougie Hill

Reece Donaldson

Laurie Ellis

Grant Murray

Liam Fox

Joe Cardle

Kevin Moon