The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Without Brown or Matthews, McGill is too exposed. I’d prefer Masson at RB, with McGill playing the DM and Stanton further forward. Masson is a better defender than McGill in this situation, IMO.

Agreed, without either defensive mid, its pretty much what you'd expect.

2 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I’ve missed the last 10 minutes of the first half waiting in the pie queue, and it would appear I’m about to miss the start of the second half. Fair play, an utter shambles 

Saw the queues.

Fair play for opening three stalls, but only works if each is adequately staffed.

1 hour ago, Hoose Rice said:

Can he no watch on the link Ive shared?

He’s at the game! He asked when there was a friendly and I telt him it was probably just a pre season thing and would be back to normal when the proper games started!

I don't think there's any great reason to be disheartened after that.

If Millen was out long term I'd be concerned, but as long as he's back for the league it'll be fine. Corr was better than I expected. He was asked to do a fair bit with the ball, particularly in the second half, and he didn't do badly at all. A bit more confidence and he'll be absolutely grand. Watson and Dick as expected; their strengths are their strengths and their weaknesses are their weaknesses. They'll be fine for the Championship this year. 

Having either Matthews or Brown to add to that team will be a huge boost. Stanton is far from terrible, but he's not a natural in that lone holding role and it shows. Our various attacking players all looked good in flashes, a bit more understanding and I'm sure some combination of them will work well most weeks too. 

Saw more from Jack Hamilton today than I did against East Fife, and I suspect he might start on Tuesday night. It wasn't ideal that for the entire time on the park, our left winger was a right footed striker. Either Connolly or Ross available and that's a much more potent attack in the later stages. 

I thought that we edged it slightly over the piece, but both teams looked like what they are - unfinished projects. The advantage that we have, I believe, is that a lot of our missing pieces are already at the club, whereas Dunfermline (along with other clubs in the division) are going to have to go shopping for theirs (outside Chris Hamilton and Kane Ritchie-Hosler.) 

I'd be a lot more upbeat if we'd won 8-0, and that penalty defeat really does affect the mood more than it should, but we're a significant distance ahead of where we were this time last year, both in terms of the numbers we've got and the overall quality. 

A bit annoying, that. Very difficult for us to qualify now unless the Pars have a nightmare against Annan/Albion and/or we beat Killie. 

But does it really say anything about where we are? No. We played a midfielder at RB and had both our DMs out, which is far from an ideal place to be at any stage let alone before the league fixtures have started. I still think we need another CB as well. 

I’m normally a glass half empty kind of guy, particularly after a derby ‘defeat’ but I took a lot of positives from today. We got stuck in, played with a lot of passion and probably should have scored at least one more than we did. Once the league starts I think we will be just fine!

I hate to be "that guy" but Dabrowski didn't impress me today. There were a few balls he let bounce through when it looked like he could have come for them and good fortune alone saw them out the other side; one in particular which Wighton should have nailed. Good job he's pish.

Anyhoo, get the missing players back (especially midfield) and another defender and I reckon we'll be fine. Big fan of players playing in their natural positions too. 

Decent overall. 

9 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I don't think there's any great reason to be disheartened after that.

If Millen was out long term I'd be concerned, but as long as he's back for the league it'll be fine. Corr was better than I expected. He was asked to do a fair bit with the ball, particularly in the second half, and he didn't do badly at all. A bit more confidence and he'll be absolutely grand. Watson and Dick as expected; their strengths are their strengths and their weaknesses are their weaknesses. They'll be fine for the Championship this year. 

Having either Matthews or Brown to add to that team will be a huge boost. Stanton is far from terrible, but he's not a natural in that lone holding role and it shows. Our various attacking players all looked good in flashes, a bit more understanding and I'm sure some combination of them will work well most weeks too. 

Saw more from Jack Hamilton today than I did against East Fife, and I suspect he might start on Tuesday night. It wasn't ideal that for the entire time on the park, our left winger was a right footed striker. Either Connolly or Ross available and that's a much more potent attack in the later stages. 

I thought that we edged it slightly over the piece, but both teams looked like what they are - unfinished projects. The advantage that we have, I believe, is that a lot of our missing pieces are already at the club, whereas Dunfermline (along with other clubs in the division) are going to have to go shopping for theirs (outside Chris Hamilton and Kane Ritchie-Hosler.) 

I'd be a lot more upbeat if we'd won 8-0, and that penalty defeat really does affect the mood more than it should, but we're a significant distance ahead of where we were this time last year, both in terms of the numbers we've got and the overall quality. 

Agree with a lot of that, you can see pars have a solid defence but will struggle to score many. We are a work in progress but we move on 

Aside from the fact that we're now more than likely out of the cup, there's not a lot to be negative about based on that.

There wasn't a lot in the game, but I thought we edged it and if anyone could make a claim to be deserved winners it was us. 

Corr did fine barring one error early in the second half. He could turn into a decent player. The weaknesses we showed against Kelty in particular weren't really on show and apart from their no 11 giving McGill a torrid time, they rarely looked a threat. 

We played some very nice stuff at times and I'm hopeful that, once Hamilton gets up to speed with the rest of the forward players, we'll start to look more of a threat.

Given the players we have to come back, I'm cautiously optimistic about what this season might bring. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

Incidentally, my scepticism levels on the singing section have increased a fair bit. Maybe the folk in there had a brilliant time and I'm not writing off an experiment after one outing, but it felt like it just totally diluted the home atmosphere. 

Stark's is too open. The noise was just disappearing, I could barely hear that section over the away fans, and as an obvious consequence the South Stand was much quieter too. 

If you want to have that separate section in the Railway Stand, it needs to be pushed right up against the Southern end. Then you'd have three sides of the ground, all pressed down at one end, and you'd get a much better noise out of it, as well as being able to put a bit of pressure on the linesman and having a proper Rovers end. 

If that's what it's like for a derby, albeit a fairly unimportant one, I don't see that it's going to be particularly bouncing or full for run of the mill league games. 

I applaud the idea, and the willingness from the club to try things, but you'd have had a much better atmosphere today if you'd stuck those same fans back in the South Stand. 

3 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

I hate to be "that guy" but Dabrowski didn't impress me today. There were a few balls he let bounce through when it looked like he could have come for them and good fortune alone saw them out the other side; one in particular which Wighton should have nailed. Good job he's pish.

Anyhoo, get the missing players back (especially midfield) and another defender and I reckon we'll be fine. Big fan of players playing in their natural positions too. 

Decent overall. 

Agreed about Dabrowski. He could do with being a bit more authoritative in the 6 yard box. 

4 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Incidentally, my scepticism levels on the singing section have increased a fair bit. Maybe the folk in there had a brilliant time and I'm not writing off an experiment after one outing, but it felt like it just totally diluted the home atmosphere. 

Stark's is too open. The noise was just disappearing, I could barely hear that section over the away fans, and as an obvious consequence the South Stand was much quieter too. 

If you want to have that separate section in the Railway Stand, it needs to be pushed right up against the Southern end. Then you'd have three sides of the ground, all pressed down at one end, and you'd get a much better noise out of it, as well as being able to put a bit of pressure on the linesman and having a proper Rovers end. 

If that's what it's like for a derby, albeit a fairly unimportant one, I don't see that it's going to be particularly bouncing or full for run of the mill league games. 

I applaud the idea, and the willingness from the club to try things, but you'd have had a much better atmosphere today if you'd stuck those same fans back in the South Stand. 

That section was funny, average age barely making double figures.