The New Raith Rovers Thread

13 minutes ago, renton said:

Have to agree with Hank. Early days S yet but the thing that has stuck out for me in the LC games is we look fun to watch. 

You can see the idea behind the aggressive high field press, and moving the ball more directly and quicker. Mullin's deliveries are a class above anything we had last season as well.

Euan Murray has to start next week though. Would also argue we need to get Millen back in as harsh as that is on McGill.

In fairness, we could put McGill in next to Stanton and bring out one of the players further forward.

Just now, Broken Algorithms said:

In fairness, we could put McGill in next to Stanton and bring out one of the players further forward.

Yeah, but who? Would be harsh on either Easton or Vaughan to move them out of those central areas

There are some easy decisions when there is a full squad available. Ross Millen straight back into RB, McGill has worked hard and definetly improved since the pars match but this is a real weak point amd teams press there as soon as they've worked it out. 

Murray comes into the defence, Corr has had 4 LC games as well as friendlies and he is still displaying poor decision making at times. Today it not only cost a goal but it broke the momentum and we were shit for a good 15 minutes including conceding another goal.  He clearly has a lot of talent and is good on the ball, but he needs to learn when to do basic simple passes and when he can play more freely, I think he will be a frustrating one. 

Brown/Matthews come in to add steel and defensive cover but who for? Stanton is the obvious one as its a straight swap position wise but we are just a better team when he plays. Smith perhaps as he could be seen as a luxury with so many others in the front 5. That's what Ian Murray is paid to do.

Just now, renton said:

Yeah, but who? Would be harsh on either Easton or Vaughan to move them out of those central areas

Very true, but if we leave the middle open like we did at points today Partick will maul us. I'd probably say Vaughan though I completely agree that all of them merit their space.

30 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

Ach it was always going to be tough getting out of the group after dropping at least the bonus point against the Pars but Christ, sitting waiting on Dundee tomorrow is chronic.

Still, not entirely outwith the realms of possibility that Inverness get a draw tomorrow…

Dundee can also win 1-0, 2-1 and need to double check possibly 3-2 and we go through. Personally think ICT will be half up for it and as others have said it’s a farce this is being played tomorrow.

I’m not sure if I’m in the minority here but I think that Vaughan is beginning to fade away a little. He doesn’t look as electric as he was in previous seasons. I don’t know if it’s his injuries catching up with him or if it’s down to us having similar ‘magic’ players like Easton, Connolly and perhaps now Mullin.

1 hour ago, Always next quarter said:

Watched the first hour on Annan TV, motion sickness from that camera and honking comms. Walked the dog and listened on RTV for the last half hour. Seemed we didn't get breaks of 50/50s. Highlights will be interesting.

One team knowing what they need to do is far from fair. Different game if its us playing tomorrow.

Happy enough with where we are but Murray needs to come in. Like Corr but the lad cost us today. Gut feeling we are probably 1 goal short. 

It's a bit harsh putting that on Corr and not any of the players who had numerous chances that weren't converted yet again? Young lads make mistakes, it's how they learn the game and improve. 

2 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

I’m not sure if I’m in the minority here but I think that Vaughan is beginning to fade away a little. He doesn’t look as electric as he was in previous seasons. I don’t know if it’s his injuries catching up with him or if it’s down to us having similar ‘magic’ players like Easton, Connolly and perhaps now Mullin.

4 knee injuries will do that I suppose. He's not as quick or sharp as he was but he's still got a very good football brain, though I think he needs to adapt how he plays and start looking for the pass instead of trying to force the goals. 

18 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

If anyone is driving to Glasgow next week, check your route and your car, it may fall foul of the ULEZ which came into being on the 1st of June.

I just has a quick look at the ULEZ interactive map and I think anyone driving should be OK as Firhill seems to be North of the restriction zone. I stand to be corrected by anyone who has local knowledge.

26 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

4 knee injuries will do that I suppose. He's not as quick or sharp as he was but he's still got a very good football brain, though I think he needs to adapt how he plays and start looking for the pass instead of trying to force the goals. 

We were never getting the same player back. He is still a quality footballer and he will adapt to play in a different way. Thst said for me he looks absolutely up for it every game and his link up play especially with Gullan is sharp, got a goal today as well so hopefully the first of many. 

3 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

I just has a quick look at the ULEZ interactive map and I think anyone driving should be OK as Firhill seems to be North of the restriction zone. I stand to be corrected by anyone who has local knowledge.

I can't interpret any map I've seen, the trouble is, you might drift into the zone on the wat through as you come off the motorway into what I perceive to be the zone. 

1 minute ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I can't interpret any map I've seen, the trouble is, you might drift into the zone on the wat through as you come off the motorway into what I perceive to be the zone. 

You would hope it would be well sign posted or have SatNav / Google Maps would pick it up. My car definately isn't complient so I'll just have to be careful.

51 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Tbf to lewy he was never gonna be the same after 4 major ACL injuries but he’s still a quality player and maybe the magic doesn’t look like it’s there because not really relied upon anymore in terms of being the main creator when we had no one else with the likes of Easton, Connolly, Mullin etc he could just play his own game