The New Raith Rovers Thread

14 hours ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

I don’t doubt his agent was whispering sweet nothings to the ‘papers and/or clubs.

Every chance that was purely to talk his way into the Dundee team though.

Wasn’t just you guys.  We had some posters claiming to be in the know that Ashcroft was a done deal and would be at Firhill in January as well 

1 hour ago, Scottydog said:

I wonder if Duncan the bampot's prior thoughts on plastic pitches have altered any since he got a win on ours?

Good to see Dundee getting Lee Ashcroft fully fit and scoring sharp before they send him to us. 

Seriously though even though I know there's plenty of time before we can't brought a loanee in, it's the opening of the window we should have done something in,  could well have saved us some points and kept us in the cup if we'd dealt in a defender. Cannot but wonder if Ian Murray will look back on the decision not to keep O'Reilly with regret.

It wasn't a decision to keep O'Reilly or not. It was a decision to not give him what he wanted, ie better contract terms than we calculated him to be worth. The player decided to leave.

I'm a little concerned if we don't bring a defender in at all. Others have said it's OK if Watson is back, but I disagree. He's not match fit and unlikely to be for a week or three. Even then he remains injury prone and at higher risk of breakdown simply because he's been injured and out for so long. And I'm afraid it wouldn't be the 1st time we've seen IM bring someone back too quickly. Murray, as others have said, doesn't seem fully fit either and therefore remains a risk. Corr, on the other hand, did a shift when called upon and I struggle to see why he's not getting game time. IM has his reasons, I'm sure.

This lack of investment in the back line will, I think, cost us over the remaining games. I think Rudden will score but much depends on formation and tactics as IM buggers about with the midfield, trying radical alternatives to cover for injured or suspended players at the back. 

You could argue O'Reilly was worthy of a better offer but the apparent lack of fight from us to secure him suggests either extreme prudence, arguably later discounted by bringing in Rudden and Turner, or there was a plan in place for someone else, which may have fallen through. If the plan was to rely on Watson and Murray, with Corr unused and looking on, I fear we've holed our own boat to a certain extent. I do hope the attacking players get out of each others way and score 1 more than the opposition but I'm not confident.

Still would have bitten your limbs off to be in this position, but I don't want us to look back and say "Och, I wish we'd left Turner alone and brought in someone else."

All this talk of Ashcroft, like he is some kind of top signing is a bit far fetched. I’m glad it won’t now happen as he is exactly the same type of defender as E.Murray. 
ie, can’t move , turns like a JCB and when any ball in behind , simply can’t run. We have dodged a bullet imo. I’m comfortable with the return of Keith Watson and why the hell IM won’t play Corr is a mystery. Friday night is a great chance to get both these lads some much needed minutes 

Also wonder why Corr isnt getting a game.  The lad is tall, and strong.  I honestly cannot think of him having a bad game when he has had the chance.

Bit of trivia - he is the son of Barry-John Corr.  Ex Celtic player from a wee while back.  He is also my bosses nephew....

The fact that Ashcroft is being talked about in almost revered terms speaks volumes on what we're lacking and on our (perhaps just my) realistic hopes and expectations imo.

I'm no Euan Murray fan and never really have been but I hoped he'd come good (or adequate) if paired alongside a decent CB, sadly that hasn't transpired. That he isn't 100% fit won't help him, however he has a few other failings too.

Watson has spent more time with the physio than training, I suspect that's maybe why he only got a 1 yr deal. Hoping he stays injury free until May would be a massive gamble.

Adam Masson can't even get the nod over Corr, which is surprising given that, other than the night he was destroyed at Dens in the RB position I feel he has done very well.

Corr was shaky to start with  (Annan) but has been solid of late when called upon, can't understand why he's not getting game time.

The Rovers held the cards on keeping hold of O'Reilly, and as said chose not to. I was told there were reasons O'Reilly couldn't get a club earlier in the season and I get it that we didn't want to pay over the odds or give him a long contract.  A few years back we opted for a long contract with another striker when if we'd paid the fees asked by the one who then went on to sign for Killie maybe things would have turned out a lot differently. Imo this non deal has similar overtones even if not quite direct parallels.

If we don't sign anyone decent in the next few days, and IM continues to shoehorn players into less natural positions then I think the decision not to give O'Reilly what he wanted will come back and bite us.  Maybe O'Reilly wasn't the best thing since sliced bread but he had aggression and desire, 2 qualities we could have really used on recent weeks.

Edited by Scottydog

20 minutes ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Also wonder why Corr isnt getting a game.  The lad is tall, and strong.  I honestly cannot think of him having a bad game when he has had the chance.

Bit of trivia - he is the son of Barry-John Corr.  Ex Celtic player from a wee while back.  He is also my bosses nephew....

Your in prime position to ask the questions of why hes not playing, ask your boss 😉

1 hour ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

@TxRover gonna assume you are International Club1883 - had anything yet big fella re: welcome gift?

Not a sign of it, which isn’t surprising as the USPS is nearly as dysfunctional as the Royal Mail. I expect it in another week or so.

2 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I take it this big announcement when it comes, is for club 1883 members only ??

Looks that way, for now anyway. Genuinely baffled by some of the comments on social media with people thinkings its a signing. Nothing in this tweet remotely suggests it would be.

4 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Looks that way, for now anyway. Genuinely baffled by some of the comments on social media with people thinkings its a signing. Nothing in this tweet remotely suggests it would be.

Yeah, the way I read the tweet it was more of a financial connection

18 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Cheers, but I was more just being nosey to see what the ‘standard’ welcome gift was. 
All the pics I’ve seen online are the Hat/scarf/pen/badge which is the ‘premium’ gift you get with the gold package. 
Like I say, just being nosey. 

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Barrowman said in his interview they are sending out a massive numbers type thing. More than the usual month in numbers so I’m assuming it’s this and not a new signing 

2 hours ago, Scottydog said:

The fact that Ashcroft is being talked about in almost revered terms speaks volumes on what we're lacking and on our (perhaps just my) realistic hopes and expectations imo.

I'm no Euan Murray fan and never really have been but I hoped he'd come good (or adequate) if paired alongside a decent CB, sadly that hasn't transpired. That he isn't 100% fit won't help him, however he has a few other failings too.

Watson has spent more time with the physio than training, I suspect that's maybe why he only got a 1 yr deal. Hoping he stays injury free until May would be a massive gamble.

Adam Masson can't even get the nod over Corr, which is surprising given that, other than the night he was destroyed at Dens in the RB position I feel he has done very well.

Corr was shaky to start with  (Annan) but has been solid of late when called upon, can't understand why he's not getting game time.

The Rovers held the cards on keeping hold of O'Reilly, and as said chose not to. I was told there were reasons O'Reilly couldn't get a club earlier in the season and I get it that we didn't want to pay over the odds or give him a long contract.  A few years back we opted for a long contract with another striker when if we'd paid the fees asked by the one who then went on to sign for Killie maybe things would have turned out a lot differently. Imo this non deal has similar overtones even if not quite direct parallels.

If we don't sign anyone decent in the next few days, and IM continues to shoehorn players into less natural positions then I think the decision not to give O'Reilly what he wanted will come back and bite us.  Maybe O'Reilly wasn't the best thing since sliced bread but he had aggression and desire, 2 qualities we could have really used on recent weeks.

I agree, I think O'Reilly with a fit Watson could have been a good pairing. Wise head with some aggression, what we dearly lack at present. My faith in Watson though isn't great in terms of injury. I think it's a huge worry that if he does come back and get injured we are with the same dross that's been playing the last few weeks. 

I'd bite your hand off for Tumilty and MacDonald as wing backs now. Both came 3 years too early.