The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, renton said:

I swear we are *this* close to the age old "the board got them to blow it deliberately because we can't afford to go up"...

Your 8 days too late, that line's already been quoted.

52 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

A list of players to be released if we get promoted would arguably be a stranger list to have though 

Let's face it, anyone who's name is on such a list will be history regardless of the league we're in.

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I heard last week that someone accessed a laptop.  

This is also what I heard but a few weeks ago. Never mentioned anything at the time as I didn't want to be seen to be reacting at the first sign of bad form (and hoped it to be untrue).

Hopefully look forward to looking back and laughing at #laptopgate at the end of the season as we re-find our form.

Meanwhile, as all this gets aired, don't folk realise that they are drip feeding the MSM who are constantly trawling sites like this, along with all other social media, official or unofficial, to pick up on rumours and snippets of "inside information" which they'll pursue until it's either dropped for false facts or it is proven factually correct and reported on, thus creating more unrest in the club.

16 minutes ago, embow said:

Meanwhile, as all this gets aired, don't folk realise that they are drip feeding the MSM who are constantly trawling sites like this, along with all other social media, official or unofficial, to pick up on rumours and snippets of "inside information" which they'll pursue until it's either dropped for false facts or it is proven factually correct and reported on, thus creating more unrest in the club.

What do you think the MSM will do with the rumour Ross Millen might, but also might not be, annoyed? 

7 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

What do you think the MSM will do with the rumour Ross Millen might, but also might not be, annoyed? 

There will be someone no doubt who will be in contact with him to ascertain if the rumours are true or not. Depending on his reply they'll pursue it further, or not, as the case may be. It's the way how journalists work. Maybe I shouldn't have typed this as it will just encourage the very thing I was pointing out!🫣 No comment from now on, from me!🥺

Edited by embow

3 minutes ago, embow said:

There will be someone no doubt who will be in contact with him to ascertain if the rumours are true or not. Depending on his reply they'll pursue it further, or not, as the case may be. It's the way how journalists work. Maybe I shouldn't have typed this as it will just encourage the very thing I was pointing out!🫣

Not at all, but this is a football forum, which ultimately is what it is because of rumour, hearsay and conjecture.

If journalists have an ear in here and are able to get stories from it then fair enough. 

The knock on effect is that we potentially get a summary in a paper. Probably the Courier rather than the Press though. 

Remember last season when everyone on here was discussing the South stand falling down and putting forward their plans for a new magical stadium in Thornton for some reason? Best just wait until some news comes officially from the club rather than having a meltdown over some rumours. 

Maybe if our full backs defended properly they wouldn’t be on the said get rid list ! Its been our problem all season the inability to block a cross ball into the box and our attacking left back gets dizzy as soon as he gets to the half way line , No competition in these areas have caused complacency at the back and the manager has brought in a right back for competition . Why weren’t these rumours on here a few weeks ago ?

3 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Not at all, but this is a football forum, which ultimately is what it is because of rumour, hearsay and conjecture.

If journalists have an ear in here and are able to get stories from it then fair enough. 

The knock on effect is that we potentially get a summary in a paper. Probably the Courier rather than the Press though. 

In fairness, the Press tend to run 90% of their interviews nowadays with "Speaking to Raith TV". They'd be as well just putting a QR code on the back page with a link to the pre or post match interview. 

Just now, basher brash said:

Maybe if our full backs defended properly they wouldn’t be on the said get rid list ! Its been our problem all season the inability to block a cross ball into the box and our attacking left back gets dizzy as soon as he gets to the half way line , No competition in these areas have caused complacency at the back and the manager has brought in a right back for competition . Why weren’t these rumours on here a few weeks ago ?

What makes you believe that Dick is in any way being asked to be an attacking left back? 😂

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

A list of players to be released if we get promoted would arguably be a stranger list to have though 

Not necessarily. Heard from quite early on last season that there were a number of Airdrie players who wouldn’t be kept on if we went up, but would be offered new terms if we stayed in League One.

14 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

In fairness, the Press tend to run 90% of their interviews nowadays with "Speaking to Raith TV". They'd be as well just putting a QR code on the back page with a link to the pre or post match interview. 

Aye, but still have up to the minute reports from Fife Flyers bottom of the table clash with “Nottingham Storm” It’s infuriating 

2 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Aye, but still have up to the minute reports from Fife Flyers bottom of the table clash with “Nottingham Storm” It’s infuriating 

Helps when the FFP Editor has media credentials, is a fan and attends those games in person 😂

Surely it’s quite normal for players at clubs to hear around this time that they aren’t being given a new deal? Although if a player has found out from someone who isn’t the manager or DOF then they might feel a bit pissed off. 

5 minutes ago, Kooz92 said:

Helps when the FFP Editor has media credentials, is a fan and attends those games in person 😂

Totally agree, but seeing them tweet regular updates from a run of the mill ice hockey match, but barely mention Rovers challenging at the top end of the table is very weird. 

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Surely it’s quite normal for players at clubs to hear around this time that they aren’t being given a new deal? Although if a player has found out from someone who isn’t the manager or DOF then they might feel a bit pissed off. 

I can't imagine you'd be telling anyone (unless they're already significantly out of the picture) that they're not getting a new deal. Seems like that'd be pretty counter-productive. 

At the same time, it'd be naive for any player to think the club aren't constantly assessing whether or not they can upgrade on anyone who's out of contract. 

Without any inside knowledge whatsoever, I can easily imagine a situation where a player sees something they were never meant to, with an annotation along the lines of "definitely a target for replacement" or "could almost certainly be improved upon" and they have, understandably, not been happy about it. 

But equally, with a day or two to think about it, I don't think it'd have to remain a mountain rather than a molehill. If you're the player in question, you already know the club are constantly updating that assessment for everyone in the last year of a deal, so that in itself can't be an objection. And the assessment itself can only really be objected to if it's hugely off the mark, and I don't think any of our out of contract players (Easton aside) can really say they've been playing our of their skin. 

It feels to me like it's the nature of the information being revealed that's led to any supposed falling out, rather than the content, and that it's likely to blow over. 

Ultimately, if you think the manager is treating you harshly by not offering you a new deal, the best way to prove him wrong is by working harder and putting in even better performances. To throw the toys out of the pram would be an act of self-harm more than anything else. 

4 hours ago, Raithie said:

Just so I'm clear. You condone and agree player(s) finding out, via an open laptop as someone has alluded to, that they are not in the managers plans next season is a good way to go about things midway through a title challenge? 

Nope, but I wouldn’t object to a manager telling a player in November/December that as it currently stood they were likely on the side of not getting a new offer, and that the club would assist them in seeking another team if the opportunity came up. Honesty goes a long way, and would be remembered a long time…the whole laptop thing is another matter.

If a player, or staff member, has accessed a laptop “laying around” and found such information, I would expect they would be released or terminated. I also expect the manger would meet with the involved player(s) and lay out the truth. They’re big boys, this is their job and they understand how the game is played.

Let’s take an example, Iain Davidson had famous run ins with a number of players, some of whom he later ended up playing with. Do you think he held a grudge when he found himself on the field with them on his side, or do you think he handled it professionally?

Now, this is part of the reason I’m a bit perturbed by the handling of Corr and Masson. Corr signed on a one year deal to put himself in the shop window, and we probably gave him assurances…and he’s sat far too much. Masson declined to re-sign initially due to not being either played or getting a loan, but then relented and signed. What was he told, and have we held up our end of the deal? It’s possible both were told honestly to expect to sit and signed anyway, then I have no ground to complain, but it seems unlikely based upon circumstances.

Does this cause me concern about how this situation might have been mishandled, yes…but Barrowman and IM are experienced and I would hope they didn’t muff this.

1 hour ago, JaketheSnake said:

Remember last season when everyone on here was discussing the South stand falling down and putting forward their plans for a new magical stadium in Thornton for some reason? Best just wait until some news comes officially from the club rather than having a meltdown over some rumours. 

Get your rumours straight, it’s gonna be next to the Victoria Hospital, so RaithTV can string a line directly to the tannoy!