The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Lewis deserves a great attendance and I hope it happens.

The paltry turnout that McGurn got made me extremely sceptical about people's desire to attend testimonials though. 

Especially seeing how universally loved he was by our support. 

I found that one in particular annoying. Folk were on at the club for years about not giving the guy the respect he deserves, only for a few hundred to show up to what was a really good afternoon. John Greer running on the pitch with a microphone and a pie chasing down Allan Walker was comedy goal. 

1 hour ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Lewis deserves a great attendance and I hope it happens.

The paltry turnout that McGurn got made me extremely sceptical about people's desire to attend testimonials though. 

Especially seeing how universally loved he was by our support. 

Fully get that, but this is literally our most loved player in the last 30 years. If he can’t get 2000 Rovers fans to turn out we’d be as well never giving anyone a testimonial ever again. 

I think the last testimonial I went to was for Chris Candlish against the Pars. As much as I agree with raising funds for a long serving/popular player the lack of competitive edge, playing it during a busy season and it being a midweek game are all negatives for me. However, Lewis deserves everything for all he has went through with injuries. There was a good comment on the Oh No No No podcast where it was mentioned that Nisbet, Dykes and Shankland had all played at Championship level and are now internationals. If only Vaughan hadn’t suffered those ACL’s then who knows how good a career he may have had.

52 minutes ago, jasperellon said:

I think the last testimonial I went to was for Chris Candlish against the Pars. As much as I agree with raising funds for a long serving/popular player the lack of competitive edge, playing it during a busy season and it being a midweek game are all negatives for me. However, Lewis deserves everything for all he has went through with injuries. There was a good comment on the Oh No No No podcast where it was mentioned that Nisbet, Dykes and Shankland had all played at Championship level and are now internationals. If only Vaughan hadn’t suffered those ACL’s then who knows how good a career he may have had.

The last testimonial I went to was Dalziel's around 30 years ago!

5 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Fully get that, but this is literally our most loved player in the last 30 years. If he can’t get 2000 Rovers fans to turn out we’d be as well never giving anyone a testimonial ever again. 

More than Colin Cameron, Gordon Dalziel and other members of the Coca Cola Cup and European sides? Steady on a bit. 

3 hours ago, jasperellon said:

Who is that Rovers great that I’m stood beside in my profile photo? (I’m the small one)

In his fulltime job Marsh was a Sparky (as well as a goal scoring and pretty hardy midfield dynamo) he worked at the Dubbie pit with my dad. In a strange twist of fate some 40 years on his son Jimmy (also a Sparky) worked offshore with me. 

A bit hard to tell from the photo but Jimmy Jnr is an absolute dead wringer for his old man. The photo was taken at The Stadium of light 25/05/2018 when Jimmy's platform The Golden Eagle played The Buzzard, canny remember the score other than we outscored them by about six or seven and I scored not one of them........but I did manage an assist for the last goal.

Just a wee shove.jpg

7 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

With the right circumstances you could have had double that. 

From the outside looking in, this isn't the right circumstances. Not sure who's involved with Vaughans committee but it seems such a wild date. 

8 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

With the right circumstances you could have had double that. 

From the outside looking in, this isn't the right circumstances. Not sure who's involved with Vaughans committee but it seems such a wild date. 

Saturday afternoon would have been ideal.

Hibs not playing because of the international break and us not playing because of the Challenge cup final.

Mind you that would have an impact on the special guests attending. 

22 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Saturday afternoon would have been ideal.

Hibs not playing because of the international break and us not playing because of the Challenge cup final.

Mind you that would have an impact on the special guests attending. 

Aye it would've been better, but you're coming off two away games with the biggest (and most expensive) away day of the season up next. If you're watching your pennies it's a rough time of the season, right at the buisness end of a title race so you'll have fans trying to go to every game because it could be a historic season.

If you were doing a bit shite this season then fans wouldn't be buying tickets for Partick, QP and United on the bounce, so spending some cash for a bit of football relief might have been better. 

But having a testimonial on a Wednesday night in the midst of that? It's just weird. He's been an incredible player for Raith but I can't get my head around the date. Hope it's a decent occasion all the same 

The poor turnout at McGurn's can maybe be attributed to two reasons -

1- He'd actually left the club by the time of his testimonial match,

2- There was no opposition as such, hence no opposition support.

If I recall correctly, there was barely 1500 at Gordon Dalziel's testimonial and that was at the end of a season where we scooshed the league and he was player of the year.

7 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

If I recall correctly, there was barely 1500 at Gordon Dalziel's testimonial and that was at the end of a season where we scooshed the league and he was player of the year.

That was against St Johnstone, midweek during the season as well wasn’t it? I’m sure Colin Harris was a guest player that night and scored in a 1-0 win?

Edited by Jilted John

8 hours ago, HoBNob said:

But having a testimonial on a Wednesday night in the midst of that? It's just weird. He's been an incredible player for Raith but I can't get my head around the date. Hope it's a decent occasion all the same 

My guess is that it is the only time they could get Hibs. I know it was Lewis's preference to play against the team he supports.

Most people are saying the same "it should have been pre-season". I agree, but it isn't. There seems to be a better number of home tickets sold now. Away tickets look under the 100 mark (from a quick view at the seat selector). The Hibs support don't seem t have been talking about it on their forums - so it seems pretty irrelevant to them. I hope there is a mad rush today.

19 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

That was against St Johnstone, midweek during the season as well wasn’t it? I’m sure Colin Harris was a guest player that night and scored in a 1-0 win?

It was a midweek game v St Johnstone, towards the end of the season, but I'm sure it was a higher scoring game (4-2?) and Daz scored. I'm pretty sure that was the first time I'd ever seen Rovers beat St Johnstone at Stark's Park in any sort of game. 

Edited by Specky Ginger

17 minutes ago, chris1883 said:

My guess is that it is the only time they could get Hibs. I know it was Lewis's preference to play against the team he supports.

Most people are saying the same "it should have been pre-season". I agree, but it isn't. There seems to be a better number of home tickets sold now. Away tickets look under the 100 mark (from a quick view at the seat selector). The Hibs support don't seem t have been talking about it on their forums - so it seems pretty irrelevant to them. I hope there is a mad rush today.

Hibs will likely do preseason overseas, and might have European football next season too. The alternative is that they're in the league cup. 

Next Saturday likely wouldn't have been an option given the date will have been pencilled in before we'd been knocked out the challenge cup.

It's a real shame.