The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, philpy said:

Saw Kevin twaddle walking along Portobello High Street today. I'd almost forgotten he was at the rovers.

Easily forgettable, he was pish during his time with us.

Irrespective of how this second half pans out we look rotten and have done for a while.

Zero game plan, no identify, power puff in midfield, fullbacks are league 1 standard.

Just hoofs up the park 90% of the time.

I’ve only missed Hamilton and Morton away this season including all friendlies and diddy cup games. Just couldn’t bring myself to head for this after those rank 3 homes games on the spin.

Playing like this we’ll get ridden in the playoffs. 

We have a strong selection  of attacking players, and everyone works incredibly hard.

There isn't a huge amount outside of that however, that can only go so far.  Its been quite poor, for some time now.

Crazy to think we’ve won the head to heads against every team in the Championship except for Airdrie (and possibly Arbroath if we lose to them). Also crazy to think we were just one result away from sending United into their last two games absolutely shitting themselves, but fully expect them to get the job done today. 

6 hours ago, SerieA said:

I’d be trying to get Megwa and Stevenson from Hibs next season

I'm sure there's a plan in place for upgrades in both the full back positions. I'd like to think Stevenson and Strapp are two we're looking at for left back and Kerr and Megwa for right back. I'd imagine Strapp will be looking for a Premiership gig though and Megwa will be given the summer to prove himself for the Hibs squad so neither would be available until later in the summer if at all.

Logan Chalmers is another I'd hope we're looking at. Would add something different to our attack.

Edited by Ex Machina

Raith must of have had one of the luckiest seasons of any team I've seen, can't believe you got away with another win tonight. You guys shouldn't be anywhere close to us considering the resources of the teams. Fair play with keeping up however 

That was a terrible first half last night, followed by a pretty reasonable second half. I thought the switch to 3-5-2 really worked in an attacking sense but we still looked very suspect down the flanks whilst defending. I always try to separate the performance from the result and not just think everything was good because we won - or bad because we got beat - and being completely honestly we could’ve had zero complaints had Inverness run out winners. Three attempts off the woodwork and a few wonder saves from Kev gives us the win.

Games like last night are why it’s difficult to really complain too much about finishing 2nd. Yes it’s very easy to look at the games v Arbroath and wonder “what if?”, but for every defeat snatched from the jaws of victory we probs let have at least 2 reverses of that where we’ve nicked it without fully deserving it. I think 2nd is probably the right position for us based on the evidence over a whole season. 

Still proud of the resilience shown by the squad and it’s another result up in Inverness which, for a long time, many of us thought we’d never see. Fully expect Dundee Utd to piss on Ayr from a great height this afternoon and kill it. 

Performances from last night which I thought were noteworthy:

Kev’s performance is as good from any goalkeeper I’ve seen this season. Sensational stops at vital times. 10/10

Dylan Corr did well in basic defending but looked shaky on the ball. I said earlier in the season on the podcast that I think he’s got a lot of the raw attributes to be a very good player but needed game time. I probably still stand by that, but he’s not had the game time to develop. Imagine he will drop into League 1 next season and have a good year. 

Liam Dick has had a good season at left back. Dependable and solid. Just wish he could get forward more and provide us with the width we sorely lack from that area. 

Vaughan’s finish was a touch of class. Murray hit the nail on the head in his post match when he said that so many other players would look to blast that with their left foot but he’s got the game intelligence to know where the keeper is and goes with the deft right foot no look caress finish into the far corner.  

In terms of next season, I don’t want to get too bogged down into who stays and who goes because we’ve a big next month or so to come, but I don’t think a refresh of the forward line would be much of a bad thing. The issue is that the majority of them are signed up for the next season at least. Wouldn’t have any objections to Chalmers to our squad, I’m just not sure that we have the squad space to accommodate him plus all of the current forward options we posses. 

55 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Another 3 points that Kev has won for us, some saves last night. Lucky to win but keeps United waiting for another week.

better for you if we win today. if you go into the last 2 games with hope of still winning it I firmly believe you have a greater chance of becoming unstuck in the playoffs.