The New Raith Rovers Thread

I'm now wondering why we replaced Gullan with rudden. Gullan was always a good impact sub, and also scored a few important goals for us. Rudden on the other hand, I genuinely can't think of anything he's done that's been worthy of noting.

Looking at the goal of the season. I forgot all about Gullans strike to break the hoodoo. I thought it was a free kick for some reason absolute class technique. 

Big fan of Vaughans against Caley as well think it's really understated. 

Will probably vote for Easton at Tannadice though, he was so crowded out forced away from goal and it's his weak foot. 

34 minutes ago, philpy said:

I'm now wondering why we replaced Gullan with rudden. Gullan was always a good impact sub, and also scored a few important goals for us. Rudden on the other hand, I genuinely can't think of anything he's done that's been worthy of noting.

Scored one and set up one against Ayr, scored the opener against Dundee United back in February. Set up one against ICT in the loss at home.

16 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Interesting discussion on Corr and fully agreed with everything said.

I thought he looked like he could bring the ball out of defence comfortably when I seen him play earlier in the season. Something that Murray and Watson don’t look as comfortable at doing and something that we lack at times. Brown didn’t really do it as much as I thought he would’ve back there.

Just now, Raith Against The Machine said:

In the same time frame, Jamie Gullan has scored a freekick and a penalty for Dundalk. 

I'm no Rudden fanboy, but I'm confident he's offered us more than Gullan would have. 

100% agree. I like Gullan and he gave his all, but he generally drifted further left than the Morning Star.

I would describe him as a great pair of fresh legs to come on, as long as you didn't need a goal. 

He also did suffer from being thrown on as an extra striker and him and Vaughan getting in each others way. Airdrie away in Jan being a prime example.

Jamie Gullan played a grand total of 295 minutes for us this season, scoring two goals and assisting two others. 

Zak Rudden has played 611 minutes for us, and has three goals and two assists. 

Funnily enough, Rudden has played a grand total of 295 minutes since his last contribution, his goal v Arbroath, the same amount of minutes as Gullan. Since then, he has no goals, no assists, and in all honestly, probably no successful first touches. 

Aye, not sure it's a great swap to be honest. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

I think it's fair to say that neither of them are good enough, although Rudden at his best is probably better than Gullan. 

Regardless, Hamilton and Vaughan are the first choice options by a long way in my eyes. 

I think Gullan’s best position would probably have been alongside Hamilton where he could have been allowed to drift around all he wanted. Sadly for him, Vaughan would be ahead of him in the queue for that position so it would have still left him benched.

Vaughan and Hamilton are good lower end top flight strikers IMO (and Vaughan could have been so much more if not for injuries). Rudden is a middling Championship striker.

Hopefully you keep him.

Agree that despite starting well, Rudden has tailed off a bit recently. Having said that, Jack Hamilton hasn't exactly been prolific over the last couple of months either.

Granted, Hamilton absolutely offers more when he's on the pitch, especially in the air and defending set pieces

I guess that in part at least, it's a trade-off for being a bit less gung-ho and also swapping Ross Millen for James Brown. Difficult for the guy up top when we're spending large parts of games launching balls up to them and hoping something sticks.

17 hours ago, philpy said:

It's not like we replaced Gullan with Rudden by choice, Murray was pretty clear at the time that he wanted to keep Gullan but that he wanted more gametime and we couldn't guarantee that so he wanted to leave. 

I think the biggest issue with Rudden just now is you compare him to Hamilton in that role, the ball gets hit up to Hamilton and he's a good chance of either winning the ball or winning a foul.  Whereas when Rudden tries to play that role he does neither, the ball gets hit up to him and he barely wins anything, and the odd time he does he ends up miscontrolling it.  You seen it in the ICT game, after Rudden came on every ball that got cleared up to him just ended up coming straight back at us as he couldn't win it.  We were a lot more free flowing going forward when Rudden first came in and it seemed to suit him but he's really struggled recently.  

Hanlon and Stevenson heading to  raith next season apparently. According to the hibee who told me this, it's "one of the worst kept secrets"....