The New Raith Rovers Thread

Just watched the highlights and what I saw was a team with 4 days preseason training behind them. Considering that apart from Fordyce and Freeman it was basically the same team as last season that played a pretty meh first half. 2nd half was a different story. The added new players looked a lot sharper and more eager to get the ball forward. One thing that was glaringly missing was Vaughan and Stanton. Those balls across the box are food and drink for them both and they both pull defender away to allow others to come in behind. Really missed their movement. 

Murray said it in his interview that we need to bring another forward in. I know Gabby McGill has been touted but I don't think he's the answer. Can't see it being a young guy though. 

PS. Hope that wasn't our supporters booing at the end, if so it was probably that knob that sits 3 rows behind me at San Starko. Does nothing but slag our players off all game. 

Edited by MICMAC
Being a fud

31 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

Just watched the highlights and what I saw was a team with 4 days preseason training behind them. Considering that apart from Fordyce and Freeman it was basically the same team as last season that played a pretty meh first half. 2nd half was a different story. The added new players looked a lot sharper and more eager to get the ball forward. One thing that was glaringly missing was Vaughan and Stanton. Those balls across the box are food and drink for them both and they both pull defender away to allow others to come in behind. Really missed their movement. 

Murray said it in his interview that we need to bring another forward in. I know Gabby McGill has been touted but I don't think he's the answer. Can't see it being a young guy though. 

PS. Hope that wasn't our supporters booing at the end, if so it was probably that knob that sits 3 rows behind me at San Starko. Does nothing but slag our players off all game. 

Agree with you, other than it was only Fordyce in the first half. Matthews was right back. Freeman came on at half time.

Useful workout for the players which is all we needed to get from it.

Hanlon and Stevenson looked like guys who’ve been playing at a higher level for years. They’re going to make a massive difference for us this season. 

Also really liked the look of Fordyce. Good with the ball and a real presence.

Freeman looked decent from the little we saw of him.

Gibson looks like he’ll be an important part of the squad and there were definite signs from Montagu that he has real potential.

Not Hamilton’s best game but only the first friendly so not too concerned. I do think we need another striker though.

Thought East Fife looked decent and fancy them to be competitive at the top end of L2 this season.

4 hours ago, MICMAC said:

Dont think Murray said we need to bring another forward in ( although I think we do) what he said was he needed another forward available today so he could have changed that too 

What I’ve learned over my many years is that very little should be read into pre season friendlies!

Remember, we beat East Fife convincingly along there pre season under Anelka.

It’s inevitable we will make loan signing/s but these are more likely July/August than any time soon

7 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Nah, this must be a piss take.

You laugh but Mullin played RB for us in a game and absolutely strolled it. He was a RWB in his first spell at Livingston as well. 

Given your options going forward I’m surprised Mullin was never considered an option to play further back. 

11 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Agree with you, other than it was only Fordyce in the first half. Matthews was right back. Freeman came on at half time.

I realised that after I'd made about 5 edits to it and couldn't be bothered doing another one

7 hours ago, spot on said:

Dont think Murray said we need to bring another forward in ( although I think we do) what he said was he needed another forward available today so he could have changed that too 

My bad, he said ideally would've liked another striker to be available, Lewis Vaughan was unavailable. I took it from that that we need another forward.

58 minutes ago, MICMAC said:

My bad, he said ideally would've liked another striker to be available, Lewis Vaughan was unavailable. I took it from that that we need another forward.

I think we will add another forward but maybe not until much later in the window and see how we do in the cup games and how the squad is gelling . 

I get we've only got the game against EF to go on but I'd have no qualms dropping Murray with Hanlon and Fordyce being our first choice centre backs. Thought Fordyce looked really good, done a power of talking and organising and looks like a no nonsense defender that can Marvin Andrews'esque header the ball clear or play it on the deck if needed. Hanlon though looked different gravy, at one point bombing up the wing to the byline like some maruading winger 😄 Stevenson as well just oozes class, his touch, vision and reading of the game is a cut above what we've seen before in our backline. Quite liked the look of our 'ageing' backline.

Just now, CountryBumpkin said:

Has anyone RSVP'd for Thursdays kit launch had a response to their email from the club at all?

No response from the club but as I'd bought a ticket to bring a friend with me I got that notification a couple days after sending the email from Fanbase and made the payment for that with ease. So I'm assuming I'll be on the list when I rock up on Thursday

9 hours ago, Been going too long said:

I think we will add another forward but maybe not until much later in the window and see how we do in the cup games and how the squad is gelling . 

I don't think there's any doubt we'll add another striker whether it be on loan or a permanent deal.  IM clearly thought we needed another one in the squad last season (hence the signing of Rudden) and I don't see that being any different this season.

14 minutes ago, Raithie said:

I get we've only got the game against EF to go on but I'd have no qualms dropping Murray with Hanlon and Fordyce being our first choice centre backs. Thought Fordyce looked really good, done a power of talking and organising and looks like a no nonsense defender that can Marvin Andrews'esque header the ball clear or play it on the deck if needed. Hanlon though looked different gravy, at one point bombing up the wing to the byline like some maruading winger 😄 Stevenson as well just oozes class, his touch, vision and reading of the game is a cut above what we've seen before in our backline. Quite liked the look of our 'ageing' backline.

I completely agree with this.  Obviously need to see them in a competitive game against a championship level team but I like what I've seen so far.

19 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Has anyone RSVP'd for Thursdays kit launch had a response to their email from the club at all?

16 minutes ago, Kooz92 said:

No response from the club but as I'd bought a ticket to bring a friend with me I got that notification a couple days after sending the email from Fanbase and made the payment for that with ease. So I'm assuming I'll be on the list when I rock up on Thursday

I haven’t received a reply either but I’ll be the same as Kooz, I’ll turn up and hope for the best 

Another thing about Saturday that just occurred to me.  Callum Hannah is a big laddie.  He always looked tall but he looks like he's bulked up a bit too.  IM mentioned at the POTY ball that they were still unsure of his best position.  I do wonder if perhaps they see him more as a CH rather than a LB.  He'll certainly be training with the right guys now if that's where they see him going.  

Be interesting to see where he plays at Montrose on Wednesday as I'm sure he'll get on the pitch at some point.