The New Raith Rovers Thread

Hilariously bad decision to not give a foul to Shaun Byrne seconds before the goal. Fully expected to get beat today and it looks like that’s what’s going to happen. Never mind. 

Disappointing result but an ok performance. Good passing and movement but we desperately need a cutting edge up front. We just don’t have it at the moment. The defence also remains weak, but maybe with Hanlon in there we stop those cheap goals? Stanton still a class act, Stevenson looks good. Easton still as frustrating as always and for me the jury looks out on Freeman. Hasn’t looked convincing in what I’ve seen so far. Hope he improves. Have to beat Hamilton well on Saturday and hope for the best. 

Not sure we really deserved to lose that. Really wasnt a free flowing game. Smith did well as the lone striker, and team were generally a bit more precise with their passing in the second half.

Wasn't a huge amount of goal mouth action for either side. A lot of the shots that there were, were fairly low chance opportunities you'd say. 

Aye, we are light up front still, but not sure it'd have made much difference today. Wasn't like a lot of big chances going a begging. A lot of midfield speculative shots. 

Edited by renton

I know it’s financially important for us to progress from this group, but the sooner the league stuff starts the better. I cannot get myself excited for these group games, they’re shite. 

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I know it’s financially important for us to progress from this group, but the sooner the league stuff starts the better. I cannot get myself excited for these group games, they’re shite. 

We need to progress for the financial boost and the boost it will give the squad. We got drawn in a very favourable group, if we fail to get through to the knockout then it’s a bit of a blow before the season even starts. The squad and supporters will feel that. I’d rather go into the league season feeling good rather than thinking ‘we fucked it’

4 minutes ago, FitbaSupporter said:

We need to progress for the financial boost and the boost it will give the squad. We got drawn in a very favourable group, if we fail to get through to the knockout then it’s a bit of a blow before the season even starts. The squad and supporters will feel that. I’d rather go into the league season feeling good rather than thinking ‘we fucked it’

You’re right, I know you’re right, I just struggle to care. 

A win over Hamilton would give us nine points and at least a +4 goal difference. That should be enough to get us through as one of the best runners up, given the results and points splits in the other groups.

I think we're still a striker and rb away from challenging for the league. Vaughan coming back will obviously help that, but I'm not convinced by Freeman yet. I'm not even sure what foot is his strongest, he seems better on his left at times but most of his passing seems to be sideways or backwards. Early days yet but I'm not seeing a massive improvement on what we had with him so far. 

Thought we did reasonably well in spells, albeit I think this Ross County team looks significantly worse than the side we played a couple of months ago. 

Admittedly the doing well parts only involved us moving the ball about on the break quite crisply and getting up the park, but nevertheless it was okay.

Goal aside, which was well created and impressively finished by Callum Smith, we didn’t do too much once we got into their final third, but that said, County didn’t ask too many questions of Kevin Dabrowski, in what was ultimately a low key, even game. 

The two goals we conceded weren’t too clever, and Kieran Freeman looked a bit weak for the second especially. 

It’s a shame we didn’t get something from the game, as I thought we warranted something, and now it’s very much win or bust against Hamilton. 

Agree about the tournament in general though. As much as I really hope we get through, only because it might allow us to bring someone else in. 

The group stage is a chore and the last 16 being seeded means progressing any further is pretty unlikely.

As for today a draw would’ve been a fair result. County just getting the break of the ball with the 2nd goal.

Folk really do get their knickers in a twist with us conceding goals from cross balls.

4 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Aye, it's no like it happens all that often 😂😂

It’s the same for every team. We conceded 1 today and scored 1. We’ve defended balls into the box well so far this season/pre season.

Edited by SerieA

I'll keep saying we need pace and strength in the final third. We are too one paced at times. We cannot keep relying on Vaughan although he will no doubt score double figures again this season. 

Ross County were always going to be weaker than last season as they will have a few loans probably to come in from down south. 

49 minutes ago, grumswall said:

I think we're still a striker and rb away from challenging for the league. Vaughan coming back will obviously help that, but I'm not convinced by Freeman yet. I'm not even sure what foot is his strongest, he seems better on his left at times but most of his passing seems to be sideways or backwards. Early days yet but I'm not seeing a massive improvement on what we had with him so far. 

Nothing wrong with passing a ball in any direction (as long as it remains on the field) but most decisions are down to movement and confidence. A lot of the times on Tuesday (haven't watched todays game), Freeman didn't get a lot of movement ahead of him to create space for passes. Hamilton was well marked, as was Smith for the most part when he came on and Mullin was hugging the touchline. I'd always be happier with a player retaining the ball rather than playing a low percentage ball that is more likely to be turned over. 

In saying that, he's new to the team, so far he's had two different players on his side with him, so not a lot of time to build up too much of a partnership and understanding.