The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Wow 16 hours without a post from anyone, must be some kind of record 😉

I'm sure there is plenty of action on Fantalk!

Edit - I've just notice that the Raith FanTalk is no more, or at least its moved to a different location.

Edited by mrpaddyx

I think single club message boards for teams our size have had their day. Between here and social media there are far livelier places to discuss the Rovers. 

How many people are posting on the average topic on fantalk ? In my opinion so few, they would be as well to swap numbers and set up a whatsapp group 🤷‍♀️ 

Take away people who use fantalk + p and b, how many additional worthwhile takes are you getting from fantalk about any particular topic ? 

Edited by Guest

Tony Watt looking like he’s on his way out at DU. We couldn’t afford the exorbitant wages but he’s Championship level now.

Not a fan of the guy personally but he’ll have his suitors if available.

3 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Tony Watt looking like he’s on his way out at DU. We couldn’t afford the exorbitant wages but he’s Championship level now.

Not a fan of the guy personally but he’ll have his suitors if available.

Our socials would be wild, TWATT SIGNS.

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Would score goals, provide great content, annoy a lot of people and provoke furious reactions over our spending.

Sounds absolutely perfect to me.

If we’ve still not got a striker lined up I’d be surprised if the board don’t at least ask the question.

Im also really surprised to not see where Bowie will be playing this season.

My optimism has waned after the Stranraer & County game. We need more firepower. 

6 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

I'm sure there is plenty of action on Fantalk!

Edit - I've just notice that the Raith FanTalk is no more, or at least its moved to a different location.

Moved location.

3 hours ago, Jilted John said:

Fantalk was bad but it’s not the worst… that honour belongs to the Facebook site after a defeat. Its makes Ro Sham Bo look like a happy clapper!

5 hours ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Fantalk should just give up. 

Fantalk is a useful place for a couple of things. As mentions above, having a single club board allows discussion without the random other team fan dropping in fishing for reaction. That results in some more, shall we say, “active” fans not exploding and littering the threads. It also allows a coherent discussion of many issues. I check it less often than P&B, but like the calmness versus the scrum here.

9 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Wow 16 hours without a post from anyone, must be some kind of record 😉

Sorry…long flight and was wandering around a bit…I’ll try to post more.

7 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

If we’ve still not got a striker lined up I’d be surprised if the board don’t at least ask the question.

Im also really surprised to not see where Bowie will be playing this season.

My optimism has waned after the Stranraer & County game. We need more firepower. 

Would love to see Bowie return but it appears Hibs are in for him. Can't see us signing Watt but would be a good signing.

10 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Would love to see Bowie return but it appears Hibs are in for him. Can't see us signing Watt but would be a good signing.

Nah, would be a waste of Bowie's potential to go play at Scottish championship level at this point. Don't think Watt really is leaving United - was just a twitter rumour wasn't it?

Im terms of signing strikers - not sure where we look next. Any Premiership kid who can look convincing at our level is likely worth a bench spot in the Premier. Not like when we were in the third tier and any any half decent spotty teenager could come in and get you 10 goals. Look down south in the non league lottery? Odds generally run against you getting someone decent. What's Tomi Adeloye up to these days? Imagine Thistle will be enquiring as to his availability?

Only other position there is likely going to be some quality bodies hanging around is right back. Grimshaw is available, and imagine Hibs will eventually let Megwa back out on loan?

Going by our way of playing, we're looking for a striker that can hold the ball up, run the channels, get in behind and be a clinical poacher inside the box. That's not an easy one to find. Especially in Scotland.

Going further afield, I suspect the Irish and English markets are unappealing to us given the additional requirements of the players to relocate. So our available talent pool is fairly small.

I'm still a bit concerned around our overall chance creation and end product, but that's more than just the striker, regardless of who we have there or bring in. Easton doesn't ever look like he'll go on a goalscoring run, his build up is excellent but he's usually let down by a poor or wild finish (see Ross County on Saturday). Mullin rarely gets into good scoring positions and when he does, its similar to Easton, Connolly has been the outlier this season so far with his 3 goals, but can he keep that form up? Stanton, Brown or Byrne rarely look like they're getting into good attacking support positions or pushing on in-behind, with Stanton that's more concerning given he's been playing behind the forward.

We're set up to be more solid now, but its perhaps sacrificed a bit too much of the forward momentum he went into last season with. Murray needs to find that perfect balance between Murrayball and sensible football. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Nah, would be a waste of Bowie's potential to go play at Scottish championship level at this point. Don't think Watt really is leaving United - was just a twitter rumour wasn't it?

Im terms of signing strikers - not sure where we look next. Any Premiership kid who can look convincing at our level is likely worth a bench spot in the Premier. Not like when we were in the third tier and any any half decent spotty teenager could come in and get you 10 goals. Look down south in the non league lottery? Odds generally run against you getting someone decent. What's Tomi Adeloye up to these days? Imagine Thistle will be enquiring as to his availability?

Only other position there is likely going to be some quality bodies hanging around is right back. Grimshaw is available, and imagine Hibs will eventually let Megwa back out on loan?

He's still at Swindon but underwent surgery in the spring which he's still recovering from. That's not much further details about what the injury was. 

Strikers are a bit of a nightmare at this level but particularly when you're looking for to kick on and fire you to a potential title.

We're at a spot where forwards in the English league 1 and 2 are on more money than we can offer and the second tier of Scotland isn't an attractive proposition for them. Lower down the pyramid and you're pretty much gambling: you'll get the occasional hit but a lot will come up thinking it's a pub league and misjudge the standard.

You might get players returning back to Scotland after an unsuccessful spell back down south like Brian Graham who will score goals but they're few and far between.

You've then got top flight players dropping down who haven't set the heather alight and are looking to rebuild. Basically, Zac Rudden. 

You'll have players lower down the leagues in Scotland who have scored, but last season the only one who really stood out was Burrell at Cove who wanted to go back down south. The rest were generally at Falkirk.

If you're looking at a loan from the top flight, then it's likely trying for either Bobby Wales,Alfie Bavidge or a bit more of an unknown quantity. 

It's by far and away the hardest part of a team to address. At this point, I'd stop switching Callum Smith's position and keep him rigidly as a forward. At 24, he's still relatively young in his career. He's got the attributes and has shown he can be really good at finishing when fed through. With the system we play, it'll basically be a combination of managing Vaughan's fitness, and getting the most out of Hamilton and Smith. Both of the latter who can score goals, but it's about getting them to that next level. If Murray can do that, then it would be a game changer. 

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

He's still at Swindon but underwent surgery in the spring which he's still recovering from. That's not much further details about what the injury was. 

Strikers are a bit of a nightmare at this level but particularly when you're looking for to kick on and fire you to a potential title.

We're at a spot where forwards in the English league 1 and 2 are on more money than we can offer and the second tier of Scotland isn't an attractive proposition for them. Lower down the pyramid and you're pretty much gambling: you'll get the occasional hit but a lot will come up thinking it's a pub league and misjudge the standard.

You might get players returning back to Scotland after an unsuccessful spell back down south like Brian Graham who will score goals but they're few and far between.

You've then got top flight players dropping down who haven't set the heather alight and are looking to rebuild. Basically, Zac Rudden. 

You'll have players lower down the leagues in Scotland who have scored, but last season the only one who really stood out was Burrell at Cove who wanted to go back down south. The rest were generally at Falkirk.

If you're looking at a loan from the top flight, then it's likely trying for either Bobby Wales,Alfie Bavidge or a bit more of an unknown quantity. 

It's by far and away the hardest part of a team to address. At this point, I'd stop switching Callum Smith's position and keep him rigidly as a forward. At 24, he's still relatively young in his career. He's got the attributes and has shown he can be really good at finishing when fed through. With the system we play, it'll basically be a combination of managing Vaughan's fitness, and getting the most out of Hamilton and Smith. Both of the latter who can score goals, but it's about getting them to that next level. If Murray can do that, then it would be a game changer. 

We are flush for wide players, I'd even suggest Stevenson and Stanton would be capable of playing on the left. 

I agree I'd keep Smith as a forward he's probably the closest thing we have to Vaughan who's fitness obviously needs to be managed differently to everyone else. 

Ayr won a watch scouring the English leagues and finding Dipo Akinyemi but as Broken Algortithms mentioned it's a gamble on what type of player you'll get. Albeit not from England I think it's fair to say Murray gambled on Frederiksen who turned out to be utter gash so would probably be hesitant to sign someone for the sake of it especially if outwith Scotland.