The New Raith Rovers Thread

12 minutes ago, pub car king said:

The first half was 2 shite teams. The second half was 1 shite team and a no show. 

So many points of failure today it was a f**king disaster. 

Serious questions to be asked about squad fitness. 

We start Vaughan who hasn't kicked a ball all pre season. Hamilton pulls up after 45 seconds and we end the game with 10 men due to injuries. 

PAHAHAHAHAH

14 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

There’s definitely a conversation to be had about Jack Hamilton. Was speaking about this when he went off injured v Stranraer, but if we can’t keep him fit then he’s a bit of a waste and probably needs punted, even if it’s a loan, and I say that as someone who’s a massive fan of him. 

As for today, my goodness, even poorer than I thought we’d be, and my expectations were pretty low. 

I think that Airdrie team isn’t as good as last season’s side, which isn’t a surprise considering how many players they’ve lost, but we haven’t laid a glove on them. 

If there’s players to come in, then fine, we’ll presumably get better, but that team looked like a plodding mid table side that is utterly devoid of ideas rather than a team capable of challenging for promotion. 

That conversation needed to happen before the start of the season as last season he wasn't really up to it either, through injury or just being poor. 

Not sure what the plan is for new players, IMO we have gone way too hard on the experience front and lacking a lot of that youthful exuberance and pace that we so desperately need to balance it. The youngest player we had on the park today was Callum Smith and he was the youngest outfield player by about 4 years. We've been so one paced that to try and change it up would mean replacing or dropping 3 or 4 players. We may be forced to make the best of what we have with some minor additions.  

22 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I could've stomached a defeat from anyone else, but to lose to Airdrie yet again is not a good sign of things to come, Ian Murray it's over to you now to earn your coin 

Why is a defeat to Airdrie any more important than one to anyone else?

Today was nothing new or surprising - it was exactly what the league cup performances suggested.   I'm pretty confident this side won't trouble those challenging for the title, there isn't any evidence beyond the first half of last season to suggest that - certainly not without significant additions in a short period of time  which won't happen given how big the squad is already.

I think your problem lies with Murray. Man for man, Raith have a better squad than Airdrie or just about. You lot rely far too heavily on good players coming up with a bit of magic and that is your downfall. 

McCabe’s tactical ability is far greater than Murray’s and it shows. You’d think after one or two defeats that a decent manager would be able to implement a system that counters the opposition. Yet here we are, 6 games later and you lot still can’t get a win over Airdrie. That’s down to Murray in my opinion. 

Hamilton going off injured with no substitute beautifully summed Murray up. Chuck the kitchen sink at it and just ‘see what happens’. 

Edited by Diamond1924

Steaming hot garbage with no redeeming features. Reminded me of the Cove game at the start of Murray's first season where we looked chronically unready.

You could see the game plan in the first half, but once Vaughan tired we lost any ability semblence of attacking coherence. Stanton looked well off of it, Connolly did ok in spells but not able to compete physically at other times. Mullin was anonymous which is better than Jack Hamilton managed due to pulling up after less than a minute. Gibson came on and cost us a goal.

Half the team is unfit, the other half is injured. Feel for Freeman who has played every minute to the start of the league and now apparently been binned. What is the point of that?

4 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

I think your problem lies with Murray. Man for man, Raith have a better squad than Airdrie or just about. You lot rely far too heavily on good players coming up with a bit of magic and that is your downfall. 

McCabe’s tactical ability is far greater than Murray’s and it shows. You’d think after one or two defeats that a decent manager would be able to implement a system that counters the opposition. Yet here we are, 6 games later and you lot of still to get a win over Airdrie. That’s down to Murray in my opinion. 

Hamilton going off injured with no substitute beautifully aimed Murray up. Chuck the kitchen sink at it and just ‘see what happens’. 

The Hamilton situation is a freak occurance as had we not already had to replace Fordyce due to injury, we'd have been able to react to his latest showing of being made of wet paper and blu-tac.  

Edited by CountryBumpkin

8 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Hamilton going off injured with no substitute beautifully aimed Murray up. Chuck the kitchen sink at it and just ‘see what happens’. 

Nah, in that instance it was a like for like replacement for Vaughan who had been blowing out his arse after 60 minutes having not played a minute of pre season.

Just now, renton said:

Nah, in that instance it was a like for like replacement for Vaughan who had been blowing out his arse after 60 minutes having not played a minute of pre season.

Nah. It was Murray’s choice to start Vaughan. Sums him up perfectly 👍

14 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Why is a defeat to Airdrie any more important than one to anyone else?

Today was nothing new or surprising - it was exactly what the league cup performances suggested.   I'm pretty confident this side won't trouble those challenging for the title, there isn't any evidence beyond the first half of last season to suggest that - certainly not without significant additions in a short period of time  which won't happen given how big the squad is already.

Because we have yet to beat them over ........, how many games now

39 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I could've stomached a defeat from anyone else, but to lose to Airdrie yet again is not a good sign of things to come, Ian Murray it's over to you now to earn your coin 

I don't get why Raith fans give Murray such an easy time of it. Why is it only just over to him now? He's failed time and time again to better Airdrie. Does that not tell you something? He's a professional choker. Simple as that. We saw it at Airdrie so know what we're talking about. 

Don't worry, you'll get there soon enough. 

Wonder if Freeman has joined the list of injuries it's a bit of astrange one otherwise to play a not quite right Stanton next to Byrne when we needed some bite in midfield something that Matthews would have given us. 

3 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

I don't understand why all of those words are capitalised and then suddenly not for the final sentence. Did you find that your caps lock was stuck or something?

Anyway, Vaughan being thrown straight into the starting 11 feels a bit like a massive risk today given he's had 1 week of training with the squad for pre-season.

SORRY CB.

THE GAS SUPPLY to my very old computer has been suffering with PRESSURE issues.  However I hope THAT wasn't detracting from my MESSAGE that Falkirk were EFFIN good? 

Couldn't make the morton game.so watched this instead. Good game which Airdrie deserved to win. They seem to have picked up where they left off last season. Replacing the players they've lost with equally good signings and playing their style of football. Expected more from Raith when attacking but they'll come good. Also good to see Vaughan is still a greeting faced wee p***k.

18 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Nah. It was Murray’s choice to start Vaughan. Sums him up perfectly 👍

Given that Jack Hamilton's hamstring went ping after a matter of seconds, I doubt there was much "choice" involved here. 

12 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

I see we are eighth in the table with the Pars and Hamilton below us.

So.  Not in the drop zone yet then?

That's positive !

If we dont get the injured CB's fit shortly, it's just a matter of time before we are, christ knows why were carrying so many injuries again......... who is the physio ??

Didn't see the game (lucky me, eh?) but that's probably as bad as I envisaged today going. A centre midfielder at RB, Fordyce being injured and then Hamilton doing his hammy and putting himself out for probably at least 6 weeks. 

Why are so many players injured yet again? 

Edited by Michael W

28 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Given that Jack Hamilton's hamstring went ping after a matter of seconds, I doubt there was much "choice" involved here. 

Making excuses for a busted flush already. He did Jack shit last season too, so what was the excuse then????

5 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Didn't see the game (lucky me, eh?) but that's probably as bad as I envisaged today going. A centre midfielder at RB, Fordyce being injured and then Hamilton doing his hammy and putting himself out for probably at least 6 weeks. 

Why are so many players injured yet again? 

Could be even worse next weekend.  Hanlon is injured, Fordyce injured himself, Stevenson went down in the second half and it looked bad but he stayed on.  Murray went down not long after Fordyce went off, he stayed on but didn't look overly comfortable.  Hamilton's hamstring went within seconds, Smith pulled something too not long after but stayed on as we were already down to 10 men.  

We could end up with one hell of a makeshift defence next week.