The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Kooz92 said:

Aye, right enough when in need of a goal he thought he'd throw on a crippled boy devoid of confidence instead of the 17 year old midfielder who's impressed him that would allow him to push Sam Stanton further forward. 

IM has a clear history of playing the older players he trusts over young players. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

1 hour ago, MICMAC said:

Don't think there's a lot of the harmony in the team that was there last season. Would think there'll be even less after that interview.

Wasn't at the Airdrie game but what I have noticed is that Fordyce appears reluctant to pass the ball to Murray, even when it's the only option, instead playing it over him to an already marked Stevenson. Was it the same today or am I just blethering pish and it's not an issue.

We're playing as 11 individuals and not a team. Smith up top with Easton as a 10 with Gibson and Mullin on the flanks had us sparking last week when they eventually played together. Why didn't Murray start with that setup? If you have something that obviously worked and you don't utilise it, you have to take a serious look at yourself.

Fair comment.

Watching the team last season I felt the team played for each other and would run through brick walls for the team, testament to this was the amount of late winners we got. However something happened in January and we haven't been the team same since. The last minute winners dried up and players stopped throwing themselves in the way to stop shots.

Three things you can generally label our players as being: talented, experienced and pedestrian. We have players with the skillset to zip the ball about but we don't and as a result are far too ponderous. Pass and move? Seems to be a foreign concept to them.

Some suggesting Murray doesn't know his best 11, maybe that's not even the half of it. He seems to have problems signing the right type of player, too many the same position, getting too old, not the position we need to cover 

Perhaps too early to be hitting the panic buttons but if certain problems persist we could struggle.

14 hours ago, McGuigan1978 said:

There’s definitely a conversation to be had about Jack Hamilton. Was speaking about this when he went off injured v Stranraer, but if we can’t keep him fit then he’s a bit of a waste and probably needs punted, even if it’s a loan, and I say that as someone who’s a massive fan of him. 

As for today, my goodness, even poorer than I thought we’d be, and my expectations were pretty low. 

I think that Airdrie team isn’t as good as last season’s side, which isn’t a surprise considering how many players they’ve lost, but we haven’t laid a glove on them. 

If there’s players to come in, then fine, we’ll presumably get better, but that team looked like a plodding mid table side that is utterly devoid of ideas rather than a team capable of challenging for promotion. 

I actually think we are better than least season. Signed a lot of decent young players and now got a striker who looks like he knows where the goal is. Got some decent options off the bench. Suspect we will get better as the season develops and would think we will bring another couple in. Early days of course so no need to get over excited or for raith to get too worried. However, your squad is pretty old so no surprise that injuries gets picked up. 

6 hours ago, MICMAC said:

Wasn't at the Airdrie game but what I have noticed is that Fordyce appears reluctant to pass the ball to Murray, even when it's the only option, instead playing it over him to an already marked Stevenson. Was it the same today or am I just blethering pish and it's not an issue.

Fordyce not just playing five yard sideways passes is a good thing. 

We didn't play well yesterday, but we lost narrowly, away from home, to a very good Airdrie side, after losing a defender to injury. 

This massive post-mortem is a huge overreaction. Talk of "They're not playing for each other! They've all fallen out!". We've lost two games. One to Ross County, one to Airdrie, both away from home, both by a single goal. 

If you'd been in a box for a month and logged on here you'd think we'd finished bottom of our group and been tanked six nil yesterday.

Was at the game yesterday, think with Vaughan and Stanton playing it makes a big difference to the team.

These two players playing well and staying fit is important to our team set up.

Up till now there has been a total disconnect between our midfield and forward line and that seemed to continue yesterday.

It does look as if we need to somehow find a way to start having shots at goal, this has been a fairly obvious frailty all through the league cup group so really shouldn't have come as a surprise.

Both Connolly and Easton didn't have the best games yesterday, but they will get better.

Early in the game we matched Airdrie, we were picking the ball up in midfield with ease and although not in total control were matching Airdrie.

Is it that as  the manager suggested players fitness is poor , we will need to solve that quickly.

Wasn't so convinced about us needing a striker but I am now.

We need a presence up front who can lead the line.

It's only one game and a long season so I am expecting a reaction next week.

A tough warch but not unexpected performance yesterday.
Credit to the manager for his post match, doesn't name names but knows he has a job on this hands. He either opens up and gets it tight or palms off the questions and gets it tight for taking fans for idiots. Tough call in what will be the most unforgiving season for every manager in the league.
I've watched back the post matches from the league cup games this morning and in each of them there seems to be a nod to the bigger frustration he expressed yesterday.
Listened on the bus yesterday to some extreme drivel and see the Facebook page has similar. It's the first game and folk are demanding sackings. Click on the same profile and the folk who are labelling players old and slow, done and a disgrace were all lauding the signings and enjoying the selfies.
Getting a tune out of known performers is a big part of the challenge. Easton offered no threat, Stanton was a shadow of himself, Connolly not a single effort on gaol, Mathews, was targetted every attack. Add in injuries to the mix that seem unavoidable, Fordyce, Hamilton, Vaughan (can't comment on Brown or Hanlon)
Was always going to be a backlash after so many returned to enjoy the success. Not for a moment do I think the board and manager haven't been aware a time like this would come. Might force their hand on a couple of signings with right back and centre forward essential. Oh, one criticism I will offer from watching back the post matches, Gibson may not be the Messiah but don't moan about lack of pace then introduce Mullin before him. We're not far off, a good squad in place with the outcome heavily relying on the manager. Utter panic stuff not to back him for the first quarter at least. 

30 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Up till now there has been a total disconnect between our midfield and forward line and that seemed to continue yesterday.

It does look as if we need to somehow find a way to start having shots at goal, this has been a fairly obvious frailty all through the league cup group so really shouldn't have come as a surprise.

The first 20 minutes or so we passed the ball about well enough but there was nothing going forward and absolutely no signs that we would score. After that it turned into 2 teams shutting each other down. 

Stanton is the most obvious player to take the ball forward and open things up but he was playing next to Byrne. The obvious choice for this game was Brown in the middle but he's out so next best option is Matthews but he's filling in at RB.

So was Freeman injured and named on the bench just to give us bodies. Or is there another issue? He's played all of pre season and despite some grumbles from our support hasn't done a great deal wrong so to weaken our midfield and attacking options is a strange one. I hope we aren't having a repeat of the situation where a players feeling undue pressure like the striker we had who's name I can't remember. 

Edited by pub car king

7 hours ago, RR #1 said:

Today was shite. Pretty baffling that Murrays persists with the same formation every time against Airdrie when they clearly have our number. Don't think there was much between the teams but we definitely got what we deserved. When you've been beaten by a team with an inferior squad for the 6th time in a row you really have to ask questions of the manager. Still think we will come good but it's getting a bit worrying how the season has started.

‘Inferior side’

What a very Falkirk thing to say. 😂

33 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

‘Inferior side’

What a very Falkirk thing to say. 😂

To be fair, one of your own fans said a few pages back that man for man Rovers have a stronger squad than Airdrie, although it's not necessarily a view I personally hold.

His reckoning was that Airdrie are better coached and managed.

Edited by Specky Ginger

1 hour ago, The Tiel Burn said:

A tough warch but not unexpected performance yesterday.
Credit to the manager for his post match, doesn't name names but knows he has a job on this hands. He either opens up and gets it tight or palms off the questions and gets it tight for taking fans for idiots. Tough call in what will be the most unforgiving season for every manager in the league.
I've watched back the post matches from the league cup games this morning and in each of them there seems to be a nod to the bigger frustration he expressed yesterday.
Listened on the bus yesterday to some extreme drivel and see the Facebook page has similar. It's the first game and folk are demanding sackings. Click on the same profile and the folk who are labelling players old and slow, done and a disgrace were all lauding the signings and enjoying the selfies.
Getting a tune out of known performers is a big part of the challenge. Easton offered no threat, Stanton was a shadow of himself, Connolly not a single effort on gaol, Mathews, was targetted every attack. Add in injuries to the mix that seem unavoidable, Fordyce, Hamilton, Vaughan (can't comment on Brown or Hanlon)
Was always going to be a backlash after so many returned to enjoy the success. Not for a moment do I think the board and manager haven't been aware a time like this would come. Might force their hand on a couple of signings with right back and centre forward essential. Oh, one criticism I will offer from watching back the post matches, Gibson may not be the Messiah but don't moan about lack of pace then introduce Mullin before him. We're not far off, a good squad in place with the outcome heavily relying on the manager. Utter panic stuff not to back him for the first quarter at least. 

We have a right back and he's fine. Signings need to be prioritised elsewhere. For me another central defender, a playmaking midfielder and a striker. 

1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:

To be fair, one of your own fans said a few pages back that man for man Rovers have a stronger squad than Airdrie, although it's not necessarily a view I personally hold.

His reckoning was that Airdrie are better coached and managed.

Yeah I don’t agree with that. I would take Easton although he has always been poor against us. I am pretty happy with the rest being airdrie players, although I accept I am probably slightly bias. I don’t think us consistently beating you is purely down to coaching. Our players are actually quite good

Was strange seeing Freeman dropped for Matthews at right back. As others have said Freeman potentially injured but fine for the bench. Or what I think is that he didn’t want to drop Matthews and Byrne because there was no Brown. But with Matthews being captain, couldn’t leave him on the bench? Who knows. 

But really really flat yesterday, agree with others, team has to be one of the most one paced teams I’ve seen for many a year. Lacked any kind of spark that you would normally get from Vaughan or Stanton. Both I can forgive for being out previously injured. Baffling Vaughan in from the start as well. We also lacked any kind of bite in the midfield yesterday because Byrne was booked within minutes of the first half for a ridiculous altercation. Was that the referees first game in charge? Looked like it. 

We really could have got at Airdrie yesterday by simply starting Hamilton and getting the ball forward at every opportunity. Vaughan was very effective at drawing fouls yesterday, Get Fordyce and Hamilton in the box and get deliveries into dangerous areas, force a chance. But there was very little of that on show yesterday. When you haven’t beaten a team in 6 attempts surely you have to look at doing something differently? 

Sadly, with injuries starting to increase by the game, next Saturday could be another tough watch…

Glad others mentioned the lack of Airdrie watering the pitch too. Not that it made any difference but with it being watered the ball could have been zipped about a bit more. Maybe the Rovers are more used to that on their own surface and expected the same yesterday? Who knows. 

3 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Fordyce not just playing five yard sideways passes is a good thing. 

We didn't play well yesterday, but we lost narrowly, away from home, to a very good Airdrie side, after losing a defender to injury. 

This massive post-mortem is a huge overreaction. Talk of "They're not playing for each other! They've all fallen out!". We've lost two games. One to Ross County, one to Airdrie, both away from home, both by a single goal. 

If you'd been in a box for a month and logged on here you'd think we'd finished bottom of our group and been tanked six nil yesterday.

While I agree there's been a bit of an over-reaction and talk of fallings-out isn't really helpful, I think the situation is a bit more nuanced than your post makes it sound.

You're correct that results-wise the league cup campaign wasn't a disaster and neither was losing away to Airdrie who we know are a good side.

I can't speak for everyone but for me the drop in optimism for the coming season is due to the performances in those games, not the results themselves.

We tailed off and went a bit flat for the last half/third of last season and I think most of us thought with the summer break and new signings we'd come out swinging again and looking like the excellent side we were in the first half of last season.

If we still looked dangerous while losing by a single goal to Ross County and Airdrie I think the knicker-wetting would be vastly reduced.  The nature of the performances, even in the win against Stranraer and draw against Hamilton is what has got folk disgruntled.

The positive sign for me is that Murray has called them out on it yesterday and doesn't have his fingers in his ears pretending it's all ok.

I'd take a slow start to the season followed by a strong final two thirds or so if that's what it takes to get over the injuries and get everyone firing on all cylinders.  

We'd probably get away with that this season as it seems unlikely anyone will stretch out a big lead, but we can't leave it too long to get things sorted out.

Even if we don't get the result we want, we really need a better performance in the first home game next week to get everyone back onside and believing in the project again.  Injuries will make that very difficult though....

Ian Murray has his flaws, of that there is no doubt, but the way Airdrie fans go on about him you'd think he'd relegated them when he was their gaffer. 

3 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Ian Murray has his flaws, of that there is no doubt, but the way Airdrie fans go on about him you'd think he'd relegated them when he was their gaffer. 

Yeah cool story.

Not exactly true though is it?

We can simply call him out for the same things you guys are seeing now as he has done it all before with us. 

He bottled what was at the time, our best team in years and a golden chance to get promotion against QP. Thankfully Rhys McCabe demonstrated how it was done the following season.

He undoubtedly was a good manager for us but we have a better one now.

First 10/15 mins I thought we were really good at winning back possesion in advanced areas when we lost the ball. It's hard to keep that up for 90 with a fully fit team but we barely kept it up for the first quarter.

Hanlon and Brown back will add stability to the defence and drive to the midfield but we still have two major issues:

1. Lack of goals

Smith gives 100% every time but get him in the box and he's as lilely to pass it back out to the wing as take a shot. He doesn't have the instict that is going to get a lot of goals.

Hamilton. Unlucky with injuries. Form questionable. We tend to isolate him and play long balls which he flicks down and no ones there.

Vaughan. I think last seasons 40+ games mean more niggles and him having to be used more spatingly.

2. We dont know our best formation

We look lightweight with one holding midfielder so you expect two of Matthews, Brown and Byrne to play at the base of midfield if all fit.

Stanton is better in the 8 role rather than the 10. If he's in the 10 in a 4,2,3,1 then the striker is isolated.

42 minutes ago, Raithie said:

That's just not true and isn't as simple as that. I'd say even his biggest critics accept that overall he did a good job for us and laid the foundations for McCabe to take us on a level. I think he's shown he's got an ability to go into an underperforming/stagnating club and turn things round by improving standards and by good recruitment - initially at least.

However even at lower levels football has increasingly become about teams developing a style of play - I don't mean some snobby 'playing the right way' rubbish, just literally that the team looks like they are well drilled and have a coherent plan for what they are doing, whether that's intricate passing or hoof ball. I don't think he has the coaching ability to do that and therefore hits a bit of a glass ceiling once he's no longer able to just recruit better players than everyone and hope they do the job for him.

It's entirely possible for a manager to have a skill set in certain areas but lack in others. If I was in charge of a club who looked to be in serious decline or a bit of a rut and needed to turn things around he'd probably be the first person I'd go to, but if I needed a manager to overperform on a tight budget or get us promoted, I wouldn't go near him. I can't speak for all Airdrie fans clearly but that's my thoughts on him and is always the general feeling I get from other fans about him.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever