The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, raith1974 said:

What are IFAB rules

I thought you could make 5 subs.

You can, but you only have 3 opportunities to do so, per half.  We used our 3 opportunites, the last one was bringing on Mullin and Hamilton sadly. 

It was brought in when we boosted up to 5 subs to stop clubs from making 5 individual subs to waste time etc. Has merit, but scuppered us

Fair play to the board for acting now and not waiting until our chances of winning the league had totally disappeared. Wouldn't be surprised if we went for McCabe.

Raith have been on a bit of a downturn and the late winners last season papered over cracks - but you’d think Murray would have enough credit in the bank to be given a bit longer. I doubt there’d be many Rovers fans in disgust about him getting to October before concluding it wasn’t working, especially with the contract extension. 

Points to either a massive bust up, or Raith putting the house on promotion this season and hitting the panic button early. Unless you have someone half decent lined up, I still find the timing of it extremely weird.

Surprised - Yes

Gutted - No

For me Murray simply hasn't been getting the best out of the players he has and tbh the past few months (probably since he signed a new contract) have been a hard watch. I get that injuries played a part in putting players out of position but playing Matthews at right back when a natural right back is on the bench is just plain daft.

7 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Sacking a guy when you’ve given him a 3 year contract in December, which was likely on the back of getting carried away with one good result at Tannadice. Rash decisions are us. I hope we don’t regret this and enter another period of the banter years.

Wasn't it Halloween? Sure Mickey mentioned guisers 

2 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Raith have been on a bit of a downturn and the late winners last season papered over cracks - but you’d think Murray would have enough credit in the bank to be given a bit longer. I doubt there’d be many Rovers fans in disgust about him getting to October before concluding it wasn’t working, especially with the contract extension. 

Points to either a massive bust up, or Raith putting the house on promotion this season and hitting the panic button early. Unless you have someone half decent lined up, I still find the timing of it extremely weird.

I suspect its this. I think we've financially banked on it this season. 

Add into that, possible stand naming rights being pandered around (and no takers so far), a huge amount of emails trying to get people to do sponsorship and hospitality at a discount so early in the season (wasn't like this last season), it looks like money has been speculated and stretched perhaps further than it should have been.

28 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Don’t see it. Could Raith afford to pay his contract out? Would he want to make a sideways move for what wouldn’t be life changing money (if he wants a long term deal I’m sure he just needs to ask his current chairman btw)? He has the run of things at Airdrie, would he want to work with Potter? Would he want to go to a team of a similar standard where he can’t bring players in until eg Jan/next season given the particular style he plays? Would he want the hassle of dealing with Fordyce? But more importantly would he want to wreck his chance of a move to a Premier League club because that’s where he’s heading very shortly!

Exactly.  Rhys is about 3/4 months from a Premiership sacking where he’ll be one of the top candidates if he keeps the Airdrie bandwagon moving along nicely i.e yesterday 

Been away on my honeymoon, went online today to see we've lost the first game of the season and Murray's been punted. What a club.

Not gutted at Murray being sacked, we've been fairly rotten since the second half of last season but if we were planning on punting him, it really should have been a mutual parting of ways after the play-off final last season. The timing would point to a breakdown of the relationship between Murray and those behind the scenes.

No idea who'll come in but I'm hopeful the Board will have someone in mind and they'll have the contacts to bring in some pace and a striker into the team with what's remaining of the transfer window.

4 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

There’s no way McCabe will be coming to you lot. With all due respect he’ll be moving to a much bigger club when he does 👍

I doubt think many folk seriously consider that a realistic possibility. What McCabe will have done is put significant doubt into the minds of our board about how good a manager Murray actually is though.