The New Raith Rovers Thread

34 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Jim Magilton’s general managerial record isn’t very good, he’s essentially a generic loser I suppose. What is it about him that makes you think we should approach him? 

Let’s go with a Thug b*****d like Duncan Ferguson, hell he played for Everton, now THAT is a generic loser….and convicted criminal.,

His post match interview was a shot across the bows to Potter and Barrowman and to get the first strike in. Everyone can interpret the interview different ways, but i felt it was a dig at Potter for player recruitment - 'we need players with legs in' and at the fitness coach (brought in by Potter and Barrowman) - 'players are not fit enough and keep getting injured'

Obviously a conversation had happened before the Airdrie game and this was Murray getting his say out. Always felt he was never fully comfortable with this working model under Potter and Barrowman in that he wanted more say in player recruitment, staff and maybe even training methods.

Edited by R12ATH

2 minutes ago, R12ATH said:

Always felt he was never fully comfortable with this working model under Potter and Barrowman in that he wanted more say in player recruitment, staff and maybe even training methods.

I dunno, Murray came out a few times saying how much easier it was working under this model in comparison to his first season in charge. 

5 minutes ago, R12ATH said:

His post match interview was a shot across the bows to Potter and Barrowman and to get the first strike in. Everyone can interpret the interview different ways, but i felt it was a dig at Potter for player recruitment - 'we need players with legs in' and at the fitness coach (brought in by Potter and Barrowman) - 'players are not fit enough and keep getting injured'

I agree a fair bit with this paragraph! There is defo more to this story and the fact he did not aim his frustrations at the players but more so at the staff I think tells the story!

Also not playing our only right back is also to be defiant against the current regime

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

McCabe would be my first choice. He signed a one year contract back in May so compensation wouldn’t be astronomical, particularly if he’s someone that the club think can take us all the way.

Failing that, I’d go for Kevin Thomson. Perhaps not everyone’s cup of tea and I completely understand the reasons why however he is very similar to McCabe.

What are you basing this on? Has one season of management experience in league 2. Yes he won the league but with a vastly superior budget to the other teams in the league. Not managed for 2 years now.  

Would be an incredibly underwhelming appointment in my opinion.

I haven't been too keen on any suggestion so far, other than Gary Bowyer. 

Won the league previously and was apparently keen on the Queen’s Park job before Callum Davidson was appointed. 

Still without a club and you’d suspect would be tempted with the position we’re currently in. 

4 hours ago, SanStarko said:

Or exclusively signed by John Potter.   I know Murray made a comment once about him identifying players, but it would be interesting to know if our transfer process was just him saying "I want x player" and then Potter goes to work on that.  Or was it Murray just saying "I want a player to play x role" and Potter tries to get the best player he can for that role.  Or was it Barrowman/Potter going out and getting the best players they can regardless of what Murrays says or wants, and it was upto Murray to get them playing.   Or a combination of all the above.

I mean it is strange that Murray went on about wanting somebody with pace away back at Christmas, we're now in August and absolutely nothing was done about it.  Was it that there just wasn't anybody available, or did the rest of the decision making group decide the money would be better spent elsewhere in the squad?

Got to see how it all pans out but it does make it feel like the new board have overreacted a bit.  Either they overreacted to the mental first half of last season and gave Murray the 3 year deal.  Or they've overreacted to how it's going just now and sacked him.  Or they're overreacted both times.  

Or, tinfoil hat on, when they took over did they have an idea who they wanted in charge but didn't want to come in and immediately sack Murray.   So they've left him in charge expecting we'd have a so-so season, then he'd be out of contract and they'd go get the guy they want.  But then we had that insane first half of the season, they've got carried away, given him a 3 year deal thinking he was better than they thought.  They've then watched our performances and ability to even just create chances pretty much disappear and decided they've f**ked up and it's time to go back to the original plan.  

This,not so sure its solely Murrays responsibility regards incoming players.Certain IM mentioned this in a past interview that signings were a combination of him,JP and AB

Edited by Rovers_Lad

4 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Both played and managed at the highest level of English football, but still not good enough for Raith Rovers, have a wee think to yourself??

Thank fcuk you're not picking the manager.

3 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Both played and managed at the highest level of English football, but still not good enough for Raith Rovers, have a wee think to yourself??

He'd not be my first choice, but I'm not completely against it. Given we really should be quite an attractive proposition as the highest placed championship side from last season, with a board who have a budget available, there's an absolute death of managers who stand out for now. 

I know it's padding the list by mcbookie but like likes of Dodds, McCann and Bullen is frankly insulting. 

Videos going up this late in the day give me the fear that its a "post something awful then go home strategy"

Either that or Murray lamped Barrowman and they need extra foundation to cover the bruising 🤣

1 minute ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Videos going up this late in the day give me the fear that its a "post something awful then go home strategy"

Either that or Murray lamped Barrowman and they need extra foundation to cover the bruising 🤣

I think it's still being recorded, you just have to be patient.

1 minute ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

It's either going to be an insightful look into the hiring/firing process or car crash TV.

31 minutes ago, AllanJM said:

What are you basing this on? Has one season of management experience in league 2. Yes he won the league but with a vastly superior budget to the other teams in the league. Not managed for 2 years now.  

Would be an incredibly underwhelming appointment in my opinion.

Would you say Scott brown is a good appointment for ayr? Genuine question as Thomson isn’t the most likeable of people but played for a club where demands were placed on him everyday. Murray I heard had a different approach and didn’t push them in training but wanted a happy ship. So my point is brown and Thomson are winners, McCabe was at rangers too and obviously learned etc . Murray is a nice bloke but won next to nothing ( I think) . Maybe the owners want a change of mindset, we look terrible so far this year ( including pre season)