The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Wee Sandy said:

Maybe you should do a wee bit of resarch?

Because you are "not aware" does not mean there are no connections....

particularly between Potter and Courts.

I didn't say there were no connections, I said there weren't any I was aware of.

I truly couldn't give enough of a f*ck to go and research so we'll leave that there.

Clearly if there had been a falling out or some other behind the scenes issue then we won’t be made privy to it. Doesn’t help either party to air their dirty laundry in public (of course, Barrowman may be being completely honest and there isn’t any!)

It is no surprise some of the players are upset Murray has gone, it also likely that some will be happy and will be looking forward to working under someone new. Similar case at every football club across the globe whenever a manager is sacked. It makes sense that the ones who are upset are far more likely to make their feelings known than the others.

This will die down in no time and especially quickly if we get the ‘right’ guy in and we get off to a good start under his leadership…. as mere fans, we just need to trust the process on this one

14 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Sorry, don't buy any of that nonsense from Barrowman. You don't allow a manager you've been 'discussing' to sign players and do an entire pre-season only to sack him after one league defeat. Reeks of something else.

Yeah, that’s kind of where my mind is with it too - virtually nothing Barrowman said in the interview last night enhances the written statement that had already been issued on the Sunday.

In all honesty, an interview like that is only of any real value from the perspective of, ‘good on the club for coming out and communicating with fans’. Of course he’s going to say there was no fall out, of course he was going to say it was all result/performance related, because what else can he say? Truth is, if you didn’t believe it before, there’s pretty much hee haw there that’ll change your mind. In some senses, I think interviews like this are an advert for clubs to keep their powder dry.

Football, like anything else in life is about opinions and everyone will have a different slant on it but, for me, there is no explanation that would make me side with a club sacking their manager after game 1 (sorry Andy, game 8), having led them to second and a playoff final the year before, and having given them a whole summer to build their team. All of this while their future was already under consideration? Nah.

It is a shame for Murray, as I really rated and liked him as our manager, felt he’d done a good job at Raith (from an outsider’s perspective) and he seems a brand new guy, but it is the nature of the game and as shocked/annoyed as he’ll be, he’ll get that in the long run and will get another job no bother.

For what it’s worth, when McCabe does eventually leave us, I’d have IM back in a heartbeat - as many others of an Airdrie persuasion have said on here though, I just can’t see Raith being Rhys’s next destination…at all. As controversial as it may be, Raith aren’t a better proposition than us at this moment in time for me - when Rhys says he thinks he can win the league with us, the guy means it. That’s the belief, confidence and trust he’s built in that squad - he’s not the type to throw that away, that, alongside all of the other reasons people have noted, makes it seem a non-starter.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Sorry, don't buy any of that nonsense from Barrowman. You don't allow a manager you've been 'discussing' to sign players and do an entire pre-season only to sack him after one league defeat. Reeks of something else.

It’s not Murray that directly and individually signs the players. He had an input, but it done as part of a team along with Potter and Barrowman. So the squad building isn’t done exclusively by the manager which is why him leaving and someone else coming in doesn’t make that much of a difference in terms of the squad that’s been built. They’re only losing 1/3rd of the team - at maximum (could be more people involved). 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

As for the fall out stuff, I don’t think so. Given Murray was fully sacked, there will be nothing holding Murray to keeping quiet about it in terms of an NDA or similar. So if there was a fall out, Murray will speak about in time, when asked. Feel free to come back and tell me I was wrong when that happens, but I doubt that’ll happen. 

4 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

As controversial as it may be, Raith aren’t a better proposition than us at this moment in time for me - when Rhys says he thinks he can win the league with us, the guy means it. That’s the belief, confidence and trust he’s built in that squad - he’s not the type to throw that away, that, alongside all of the other reasons people have noted, makes it seem a non-starter.

Aye they are. They can offer more money in wages to him directly, have a far higher budget than Airdrie and have finished ahead of Airdrie every single season  since 2009. If McCabe were unemployed, then objectively, the Raith job is a more attractive prospect that the Airdrie one. It’s only the fact that he’s already in the Airdrie job that complicates this.

52 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

No need to apologise. 

You don't buy it because you don't understand how recruitment is done at the Rovers. 

And it wasn't one defeat. We also lost to Ross Cty, but the truth is we've been completely uninspiring for months and didn't look like we'd made any progress at all since December / January. Whose fault is that?

I really couldn't care what other teams fans are saying on here. One team in particular will be concerned that we may be trying to poach their manger.

In terms of ourselves, sorry to see Murray go but results and more importantly performances have been very poor with little offered in the final third. This needed changed and im not sure Murray would have changed this. 

Barrowmans interview was what id expect a CEO to come out with. He could never say anything controversial as most news agencies would be running that today. 

What the club need to get right is there choice of manager and provide him with funds to bring in the 3 or 4 players we need to offer something different than we currently do. 

4 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

I really couldn't care what other teams fans are saying on here. One team in particular will be concerned that we may be trying to poach their manger.

In terms of ourselves, sorry to see Murray go but results and more importantly performances have been very poor with little offered in the final third. This needed changed and im not sure Murray would have changed this. 

Barrowmans interview was what id expect a CEO to come out with. He could never say anything controversial as most news agencies would be running that today. 

What the club need to get right is there choice of manager and provide him with funds to bring in the 3 or 4 players we need to offer something different than we currently do. 

Could not agree  more!!

14 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye they are. They can offer more money in wages to him directly, have a far higher budget than Airdrie and have finished ahead of Airdrie every single season  since 2009. If McCabe were unemployed, then objectively, the Raith job is a more attractive prospect that the Airdrie one. It’s only the fact that he’s already in the Airdrie job that complicates this.

You’ve just backed my point with your last sentence…

Of course they have a bigger budget than us, but that doesn’t help when you’re this far into a window and would need to make some fairly significant changes to get a squad the way you want it - against the backdrop of you getting your existing squad exactly the way you want it over the last 2+ years. 

That’s not to mention the togetherness/spirit you need to foster to get there because, make no mistake about it, he hasn’t just gotten us to where we are with ‘silky football’ - elements of this squad have been here throughout his tenure (when many thought they weren’t good enough) and what he’s got out of them and with us doesn’t come overnight.

So, objectively, does he look at going to Raith or staying where he is as giving him the best chance of promotion this season? I think he opts to stay.

If he’s unemployed, whole different ball game and it does beg the question that if there really have been doubts about IM for so long and you could get McCabe for nothing in the summer past when he’s such an obvious, standout candidate, why wouldn’t you?

As for his own pay, again, I’m not naive enough to think we could stave Raith off in that regard but I genuinely don’t think McCabe thinks like that. What’s an extra ‘x’ grand a year to him when his trajectory is only on the up anyway and he knows he’s on the cusp of earning a low end Scot Prem job or job down south in 6-12 months anyway? It’s all ifs and buts, of course, but if you play the odds, Raith isn’t the best shout right now IMO. 

The last point I’d make on this, and other Airdrie fans have alluded to it, not sure people understand how much free rein he has at Airdrie - would Raith’s current structure permit that? I’m not so sure.

11 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Simply participating in the discussion mate, as I’m sure you will have done on other team’s threads at times too. 👍🏻

Edited by thediamonddude

6 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I'll come in on this one because this has had the arse kicked out of it and probably needs a longer form response. 

One person put in an absolutely butchered (no pun intended) response in the playoff thread which now gets trotted out for a meme response that Rovers fans are completely oblivious to what is going on and that we're funding everything at Stark's Park thanks to those delicious donner pies. 

To expand on the point which the poster was trying to make in that thread - the club have undergone a systematic review of revenue streams across the club. That will involve some changes - speaking to people internally memberships of things like the Jim McMillan lounge are going up this summer because the board looked at the rates and said "if you go to other Championship clubs (Dunfermline included), they're paying more than you are for less. Why shouldn't we review this?". The club and the group running the lounge then reviewed the deal and agreed a new rate. 

It's exactly the same with the catering. Opposition fans jump in with a response from one poster on here saying "pie sales are up 1000%". That isn't what happened. Under our previous regime, we'd done as we always had. A catering company paid a flat fee for the use of the facilities for Stark's, and then kept any profits. That got changed by the new board as part of their reviews. They've changed the pricing structure for the food, which now comes via Stuarts, and the club have managed to increase revenues off the back of it. The previous regime had set up a negligent way of handling the catering, which is why the Rovers have claimed there's been such a change in the revenues. 

That came off the back of a document sent out to club 1883 members where they've provided some statistics about the changes made. This was obviously really well received, but anyone with a working brain realises that this isn't a set of accounts with a profit or loss margin. Nobody is claiming that we've not had external investment. The board have already said that they'd put in money to do up the stadium such as changing rooms etc. 

I think that under the old regime, there had been very much a "...but we've always done it this way" mentality. The new board have changed that. We also had quite a lot of deals come up which McGlynn had signed which upon review had been described as rather 'eye-watering' for what we were getting. 

Even the board themselves, all the focus tends to lie with McKenzie rather than anyone else. Colin Smart for example sold off a care home business for £40m. Ruaridh Kilgour's company had a deep dive in the press recently where there were comments it had over seven figures in the bank. Obviously that doesn't equate to Rovers having money in the bank but it probably lends itself to why some most of our fans feel a bit more relaxed than people on the outside think we should be. I can understand why people on the outside are looking in with a degree of frustration, but I don't think it's as simple as going "pie sales 1000%!!!??!?!1111". I'd say the club are modernising, reviewing and developing - you'll have a lot of Rovers fans optimistic because it's been long overdue and in all honesty wasn't something people thought possible. 

I'd also add, there's still plenty of Rovers fans who are eagerly waiting to see the P+L margins when the accounts come through next spring. 

Did wonder why you were typing for so long earlier on.

Just now, Varna Rover said:

i still believe we are looking outside of Scottish managers for the job. maybe Scandinavia

No chance. We aren’t signing players for outside Scotland so can’t see us getting a manager 

42 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

Simply participating in the discussion mate, as I’m sure you will have done on other team’s threads at times too. 👍🏻

Agree but opposition fans are generally on the wind up so take little notice. For Airdrie fans let's face it until something is announced you will be worried that we will take McCabe.

3 minutes ago, Right in the Stanchion said:

Raith getting all Falkirky lately, not only getting serious "big boys" syndrome after one season seriously challenging for the league, but also having an absolute public pantomime going on then wondering why other fans coming flocking to give their tuppence-worth

You take that back, no one in here has at any point been jacking it to the clubs season ticket sales numbers.