The New Raith Rovers Thread

This can be a good thing in the longer term. 

It shows up all our previous issues in 1 game. A cobbled together team due to injuries and midfielders out of position, us playing good football and going ahead, whatever the f**k happens at half time, the arse collapse at the start of the 2nd half and the inevitable capitulationate on including 2 goals conceded within a minute. 

Collins has had the full Rovers experience up close now he will need to come up with a plan to fix it. 

Edited by pub car king

Another grim showing. Haven't really had a shot worthy of the name in the second half. That's before you get to the humilation of losing a goal from our ko, in almost the same fashion as we had only just lost.

Did ok in the first half, some good pressing and yes, nice to finally score a couple of goals but just not good enough over the piece. Didn't look comfortable in defence all afternoon, which is understandable given the patchwork defence.

Leaky at the back, and generally quite shite up top. Not a great platform tp build on.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

Leaky at the back, and generally quite shite up top. Not a great platform tp build on.

That's the concern I have.  Without additions to the squad there is only so much a change in manager will do.  

Really could’ve done with a good performance combined with a result to get the confidence going.

The new gaffer isn’t going to get the benefit of a relaxed and easy start to his term.

Lose a derby AND go bottom of the league will mean the entire squad will be under huge pressure.

Hopefully he’s seen where the issues are and more importantly has the players / budget to bring in.

We really need Brown, Stanton and either of Murray / Fordyce back playing.

3 minutes ago, renton said:

Another grim showing. Haven't really had a shot worthy of the name in the second half. That's before you get to the humilation of losing a goal from our ko, in almost the same fashion as we had only just lost.

Did ok in the first half, some good pressing and yes, nice to finally score a couple of goals but just not good enough over the piece. Didn't look comfortable in defence all afternoon, which is understandable given the patchwork defence.

Can't really disagree. We'd have had a shot had Jamieson not fresh-aired an attempt. As a professional, thats pretty embarrassing. 

We've been OK between each box second half. We have no recovery pace at the back, Stevenson caught far too easily both times, needs to do better than that and Hanlon caught for at least one of them as well. We're relying on Easton being the creator because we have nothing from anyone else. Mullin is functional but doesn't create anything from open play, Stanton doesn't do much in the way of creative play, Connolly similar. Jamieson and Smith are fine to chase a ball, but we can't be relying on them for goals. Need to get bodies back, regroup, get a few additions in, if we're going 3 at the back then a right sided centre half is a must.

Starting to feel that we’re definitely an Arbroath or a Queen’s Park. Great challenge one season then implode the next. Although the board deserve the assist by sacking Murray the way they did.

That second half was f**king awful. There’s definitely something not right in that squad. 

1 minute ago, FitbaSupporter said:

Starting to feel that we’re definitely an Arbroath or a Queen’s Park. Great challenge one season then implode the next. Although the board deserve the assist by sacking Murray the way they did.

That second half was f**king awful. There’s definitely something not right in that squad. 

Add Ayr to that list last season.

Very strange use of the substitutes.

Why did he move Dick out to left back and put Matthews in at CB.
Stevenson's name was never mentioned after that. Flat back 4 should've seen Matthews move into midfield.

The squad is giving us exactly what it should on paper.  Lots of creative players who dont particularly create much, and one out and out centre forward who is never fit.  That was obvious last season, was obvious pre season, and remains obvious.  Assuming that we would only need minimal additions in that area of the pitch due to the fact we finished a clear 2nd last season is really coming home to roost. 

That's the main issue we have other than the constant injuries.  I'm not sure if the recruitment was down to Murray or Potter or both, but the squad remains my overriding concern.

Don't score or create enough, and concede some really shit goals - there should be some fairly loud alarm bells ringing for this season ahead. Without an Arbroath or Cove stinking the place out, it could easily end up with a battle at the wrong end of the table.

That's not intended to be critical of Collins appointment, but I do fear there is only so much that a change in manager will do.  

Thought you looked a lot better than your last visit to Somerset but still toothless up front. Paddy Reading caught in possession for both Rovers goals but, other than that, I can't really remember you having a chance in the match. Amusing to see the Hibs legend getting roasted by a 17 year old for the second. 

The defensive issues can perhaps start to resolve themselves when everyone isn't f**king injured. I really don't want to single out Ross Matthews and I didn't see the game so have no reason to, but a centre midfielder should not be playing at RCB in back three. 

No such "solution" to the forward issues as only Jack Hamilton is injured. 

Edited by Michael W

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The defensive issues can perhaps start to resolve themselves when everyone isn't f**king injured. I really don't want to single out Ross Matthews and I didn't see the game so have no reason to, but a centre midfielder should not be playing at RCB in back three. 

No such "solution" to the forward issues as only Jack Hamilton is injured. 

Matthews wasn't the one at fault, it was the actual defenders who were unable to defend. Murray and Fordyce are probably a bit away from rejoining the side so we're likely using Hanlon and Dick every week until then. 

In reality today wasn't a Collins team, it being the same fit lineup as last weekend has probably come from discussions with Potter and Cameron. I don't think we'll see a proper Collins side for a few weeks until he gets a full read on the squad. What today will have hopefully done is let him see where we need new players. 

Is it all a bit too ‘nicey nicey’ around Starks these days?

All I keep seeing from the social media is players smiling and laughing their heads off in training. That’s great and the clear camaraderie between players is what got a lot of the success last season and that never say die attitude getting us last minute points.

However, whilst not privy to what’s going on in the dressing room I’m a firm believer that everyone needs a rocket up their jeer from time to time.

Looking at the upcoming fixtures (Pars, Hamilton, Falkirk, Morton) we’ll either get ourselves back in the top 4 mix or potentially strangled at the bottom of the league.