The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Ex Machina said:

Could really do with winning a few games. These last few pages have been dire. 

To take things in a bit of a different direction, Linfield fans are absolutely desperate for them to sack David Healy. They've just lost in the County Antrim Shield and are in a poor run of form. 

Long may it continue. 

5 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

Could really do with winning a few games. These last few pages have been dire. 

I agree, feeling apathetic recently. Found myself not even bothering to check in and read some days.

Some posters are clearly looking for any old tosh to post last few pages.

Not going to the testimonial either but I did pay handsomely for his golf day at Dunnikier a couple of months back which lessens the guilt somewhat. 

10 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

To take things in a bit of a different direction, Linfield fans are absolutely desperate for them to sack David Healy. They've just lost in the County Antrim Shield and are in a poor run of form. 

Long may it continue. 

Karma is a bitch 

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It's mental because you've replied to a suggestion that we should get rid of Robbie Thomson to say "perhaps one of the experienced full backs could take up this role?" because "their skillset in the footwork department will be greater than Robbie's". But given you spent so long on your response I'll explain a bit further. 

You'd be getting rid of a seasoned goalkeeping coach in favour of having Lewis Stevenson help him despite it offering next to no tangible benefit. Thomson has the experience needed to help Dabrowski for in-game situations: a full back won't have the experience of being the last man in the defence, what to expect when being closed down, or what goalkeepers might need to consider when in possession. At best for goalkeepers, you'd maybe still them in a possession drill at a push, but by and large you'll have them working in a small group with other goalkeepers. Anything more than that would be a waste of time. If Neil Collins pulled him aside and said "yeah, Pottsy and I had a chat: we think you're not good enough with the ball at your feet so go watch Lewis Stevenson do Cruyff turns for an hour" we'd be no further forward.

For me, Kev's in safe hands with Robbie Thomson. He's a good goalkeeper who has had a couple of moments which have shook his confidence slightly. If he gets a run of a few games where he can get his head up, he'll be absolutely fine. There's only been one game where we can point to Kev making a tangible error which has led to a goal (Livingston): the rest are all down to a combination of injuries forcing players out of position, red cards, and while with some games we've not been at the races, we've also been woefully ineffective in front of goal scoring only 5 goals (including two penalties). 

I went back to check your earlier post which you're claiming was a childish response. You said that we'd sacked our closest connection to Hibs (we hadn't: both Stevenson and Hanlon had far more ties into Easter Road than Murray) and that players wouldn't want to sign for us because "It could be players just do not want to come here anymore with all the negative publicity and team playing shite and it would appear, more chance of being injured??". Within ten days of that, we'd brought in a right back who has played over 200 games in the EFL and opted to move up to Scotland to re-start his career after two highly publicised incidents which saw his confidence shattered.  

Both my age (35 btw) and your age are absolutely irrelevant. You could be a 16 year old or a 81 year old.  I've met Rovers fans (and those of other teams) and there's no correlation between age guaranteeing sensible opinions. But aye, feel free to work yourself into an absolute outrage the next time anyone responds to you on the internet. 

Nowhere in my post did I suggest we get rid of Robbie ffs.  All I did was suggest one of the experienced full backs help Kev in the kicking department.  Of course we do not get rid of Robbie.  Just an additional help from the skillset of the full back in addition to Robbie's obvious goalkeeping coaching Talents.

My outrage, as you put it, was against your use of the word "Mental" to describe something which in your eyes was stupid.  I genuinely hope you do not have to encounter the true meaning of this word at any time during your life.

Just now, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

Nowhere in my post did I suggest we get rid of Robbie ffs.  All I did was suggest one of the experienced full backs help Kev in the kicking department.  Of course we do not get rid of Robbie.  Just an additional help from the skillset of the full back in addition to Robbie's obvious goalkeeping coaching Talents.

My outrage, as you put it, was against your use of the word "Mental" to describe something which in your eyes was stupid.  I genuinely hope you do not have to encounter the true meaning of this word at any time during your life.

Scottish people: definitely not famous for referring to daft things as mental. 

Stop getting faux outraged because you butchered an explanation and someone had a different opinion to you on the internet.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It's mental because you've replied to a suggestion that we should get rid of Robbie Thomson to say "perhaps one of the experienced full backs could take up this role?" because "their skillset in the footwork department will be greater than Robbie's". But given you spent so long on your response I'll explain a bit further. 

You'd be getting rid of a seasoned goalkeeping coach in favour of having Lewis Stevenson help him despite it offering next to no tangible benefit. Thomson has the experience needed to help Dabrowski for in-game situations: a full back won't have the experience of being the last man in the defence, what to expect when being closed down, or what goalkeepers might need to consider when in possession. At best for goalkeepers, you'd maybe still them in a possession drill at a push, but by and large you'll have them working in a small group with other goalkeepers. Anything more than that would be a waste of time. If Neil Collins pulled him aside and said "yeah, Pottsy and I had a chat: we think you're not good enough with the ball at your feet so go watch Lewis Stevenson do Cruyff turns for an hour" we'd be no further forward.

For me, Kev's in safe hands with Robbie Thomson. He's a good goalkeeper who has had a couple of moments which have shook his confidence slightly. If he gets a run of a few games where he can get his head up, he'll be absolutely fine. There's only been one game where we can point to Kev making a tangible error which has led to a goal (Livingston): the rest are all down to a combination of injuries forcing players out of position, red cards, and while with some games we've not been at the races, we've also been woefully ineffective in front of goal scoring only 5 goals (including two penalties). 

I went back to check your earlier post which you're claiming was a childish response. You said that we'd sacked our closest connection to Hibs (we hadn't: both Stevenson and Hanlon had far more ties into Easter Road than Murray) and that players wouldn't want to sign for us because "It could be players just do not want to come here anymore with all the negative publicity and team playing shite and it would appear, more chance of being injured??". Within ten days of that, we'd brought in a right back who has played over 200 games in the EFL and opted to move up to Scotland to re-start his career after two highly publicised incidents which saw his confidence shattered.  

Both my age (35 btw) and your age are absolutely irrelevant. You could be a 16 year old or a 81 year old.  I've met Rovers fans (and those of other teams) and there's no correlation between age guaranteeing sensible opinions. But aye, feel free to work yourself into an absolute outrage the next time anyone responds to you on the internet. 

Or you could play him outfield in numerous games of two touch football. 

21 minutes ago, foreverarover said:

Play Big Kev at #10? A keeper at that spot has a bit of history recently, eh?

9 hours ago, foreverarover said:

I'm sure in one of the inside training videos they did last season that was the case, the keepers were involved in that. Though if you watch them in the warm up doing the two touch passing drill, some of the outfielders passing is frightening at times. a 5-10 yard pass should never come off the ground. 

Checked in and checking out just as quick.

Using mental as a description may be common place but isn't great. Inadvertently used it at work and a colleague detailed why it caused him such upset, not the corner I would be fighting. 

I hope folk get behind Ross Mathews. We demand loyalty and all the investment of being a Rover, so the least we can do is turn up.

17 hours ago, grumswall said:

Not really feasible due to the league Cup format these days I wouldn't think. 

Definitely makes it trickier but East Fife managed it for the testimonial we turned up for. 

The Saturday we played ICT would have been a good day for either Vaughan or Matthews testimonial, but obviously less likely to get your choice of opposition if you have a fixed date in mind. 

Ticket bought today but won't make it as working. If anyone is skint/knows anyone that wouldn't make it otherwise, PM me and I'm happy to forward it.

15 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Ross Matthews kit for tonight sporting the old 80s badge which for me is so much better. Might just be me showing my age. 

Any news on a stream for it? 

Screenshot_20241009_123020_Instagram.jpg

From the Raithtv website.

image.png.dab904517aff2801222de21589714ba7.png

If any rovers fans are looking at Collins in the dugout tonight and feeling a bit down, fear not. Simply look over to the hearts dugout with Liam fox and remember it can always be worse. 

8 minutes ago, g martin said:

If any rovers fans are looking at Collins in the dugout tonight and feeling a bit down, fear not. Simply look over to the hearts dugout with Liam fox and remember it can always be worse. 

Regardless of the results while he's been in charge, a few Hearts fans I know have said Fox has been a lot better at getting the team playing than Naismith was. He's not the answer for them longer term, but hes highlighted how much of a problem the previous manager was. 

17 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

No doubt Linfield fans will be unhappy at the current form but Healy is too well regarded there and has nothing to prove. He can't suddenlt become a bad manager.

We're in the same situation, not much running for us and people doubting the manager. I've every expectation that things will turn round.