The New Raith Rovers Thread

The TH statement irritates me in many many ways.

Ramsdens Cup aside, this season, in the main, has been truly horrific. The team has put in some of the worst displays I have ever seen from a team of experienced professionals; some of the defending has been, at times, akin to what we witnesses week in week out in the Anelka days - the low points for me coming in the 2-4 defeats against Hamilton, Livingston & Falkirk.

The manager's clearly out of his depth and needs to walk. We must retain at least Watson, Moon, Cardle & Baird for next season. Despite his recent dip, Elliot has done enough for me to offered another contract and I'd be looking at retaining Thomson & Booth (if possible). The rest of them can leave with the entire management team.

Next season offers a unique opportunity for us - We must be competitive but also need to offer a stadium to watch football in that is well maintained and comfortable which brings me to my question - what exactly are the BoD doing to entice people to Starks Park?

This year should surely see us turn over a decent profit:

• 6th place sees us pocket £189.000 prize money - up £121,000 from last year, while 7th sees us take £172,000 (up £111,000).
  • £28,000 prize money for the Ramsdens Cup win (I believe)
  • TV money for Semi vs Annan and QF vs St Johnstone - £100K total??
  • £60,000 from the Hibs game?? 40% of the gate @ avg £15/head?

That gives us up to £377,000 revenue before we even add in our usual revenue streams.

Next season we're looking at 4 big home gates vs Rangers and Hearts and the possibility of Hibs and Dunfermline mean potentially another 4 bigger gates than average. There's also the possibility of a pre-season friendly with M'Boro which should attract a decent crowd.

There is money to be made and we must make the most of it.

Part of that should be an investment in the Stadium including;

• Remedial work to South Stand - PA system, roof leaks, upgrade of toilet facilities
  • Re-opening of the Railiway stand - give people the opportunity to choose, make it a family stand - just something! Putting people at the side of the pitch will help bring the atmosphere back. Having the railway stand there may entice people to come back as a lot of people will be put off by sitting behind the goals week in week out. The main stand is hardly a viable alternative as the view is extremely poor in the most part.

if we don't, and the usual miserly excuses are run out then I personally believe that the club is making a massive mistake. Clearly we must service our debt - that doesn't mean clear it - as long as it is manageable,

Putting a decent team on the pitch, offering good facilities to come and see them and the level of opposition adds up to a good product which equals bums on seats.

Alternatively, we can put together a team on a shoe string, offer no stadium improvements, get relegated and TH will complain that the people of Kirkcaldy don't turn up....

I don't see the obsession with the railway stand. Maybe it's because I have never watched a game from there but even then I really doubt anyone who doesn't come would attend just to sit there.

The only way we will increase attendances is by getting out in the community and putting an enjoyable team on the field.

I don't see the obsession with the railway stand. Maybe it's because I have never watched a game from there but even then I really doubt anyone who doesn't come would attend just to sit there.

The only way we will increase attendances is by getting out in the community and putting an enjoyable team on the field.

The TH statement irritates me in many many ways.

Ramsdens Cup aside, this season, in the main, has been truly horrific. The team has put in some of the worst displays I have ever seen from a team of experienced professionals; some of the defending has been, at times, akin to what we witnesses week in week out in the Anelka days - the low points for me coming in the 2-4 defeats against Hamilton, Livingston & Falkirk.

The manager's clearly out of his depth and needs to walk. We must retain at least Watson, Moon, Cardle & Baird for next season. Despite his recent dip, Elliot has done enough for me to offered another contract and I'd be looking at retaining Thomson & Booth (if possible). The rest of them can leave with the entire management team.

Next season offers a unique opportunity for us - We must be competitive but also need to offer a stadium to watch football in that is well maintained and comfortable which brings me to my question - what exactly are the BoD doing to entice people to Starks Park?

This year should surely see us turn over a decent profit:

• 6th place sees us pocket £189.000 prize money - up £121,000 from last year, while 7th sees us take £172,000 (up £111,000).
  • £28,000 prize money for the Ramsdens Cup win (I believe)
  • TV money for Semi vs Annan and QF vs St Johnstone - £100K total??
  • £60,000 from the Hibs game?? 40% of the gate @ avg £15/head?

That gives us up to £377,000 revenue before we even add in our usual revenue streams.

Next season we're looking at 4 big home gates vs Rangers and Hearts and the possibility of Hibs and Dunfermline mean potentially another 4 bigger gates than average. There's also the possibility of a pre-season friendly with M'Boro which should attract a decent crowd.

There is money to be made and we must make the most of it.

Part of that should be an investment in the Stadium including;

• Remedial work to South Stand - PA system, roof leaks, upgrade of toilet facilities
  • Re-opening of the Railiway stand - give people the opportunity to choose, make it a family stand - just something! Putting people at the side of the pitch will help bring the atmosphere back. Having the railway stand there may entice people to come back as a lot of people will be put off by sitting behind the goals week in week out. The main stand is hardly a viable alternative as the view is extremely poor in the most part.

if we don't, and the usual miserly excuses are run out then I personally believe that the club is making a massive mistake. Clearly we must service our debt - that doesn't mean clear it - as long as it is manageable,

Putting a decent team on the pitch, offering good facilities to come and see them and the level of opposition adds up to a good product which equals bums on seats.

Alternatively, we can put together a team on a shoe string, offer no stadium improvements, get relegated and TH will complain that the people of Kirkcaldy don't turn up....

good post RavyDavy

on your figures,your a wee bit short :lol:;) the tv money from the cup games against hibs and st johnstone will have brought in £160,000ish,its something like 80k or 82k per cup tie

i agree with you on the maintence of starks and although the railway stand is where i used to sit,great and best viewt not sure on the re-opening of the railway stand just now if at all

1).i dont see it enticing many if any back

2)really dont see why the club should fork out thousands to redevelop the railway stand in a stadium they dont

own and might not for a very long time or not at all(although believe the board are working very hard on that)

3)yes potentially 4 big home gates but the cost of redeveloping the stand would outweigh the money brought in from these games plus it would be dormant for the rest of the season

the tv money from the cup games against hibs and st johnstone will have brought in £160,000ish,its something like 80k or 82k per cup tie

We weren't on TV against Hibs, would've just got money from the crowd that day.

Agree with all of RavyDavy's post except the Railway Stand part, I genuinely would consider my future as a Rovers fan if they completely spunked all the money we've earned/will earn through cup runs and big home games with Rangers and Hearts on such a thing as the Railway Stand. It's gone. Done. Finito. We currently fill less than a quarter of the stadium every week, why on earth would we want to open another stand so a handful of people could stand there for the first few weeks of the season before they got bored and returned to their old seat?

We still have debts and a mortgage to pay. That's the financial priority, like it or not.

Agree with all of RavyDavy's post except the Railway Stand part, I genuinely would consider my future as a Rovers fan if they completely spunked all the money we've earned/will earn through cup runs and big home games with Rangers and Hearts on such a thing as the Railway Stand. It's gone. Done. Finito. We currently fill less than a quarter of the stadium every week, why on earth would we want to open another stand so a handful of people could stand there for the first few weeks of the season before they got bored and returned to their old seat?

We still have debts and a mortgage to pay. That's the financial priority, like it or not.

:o

f**k,neither we were.good job i`m not in charge of finances

Edited by Rovers_Lad

Totally agree with this. We're struggling to bring in more fans to the South Stand so opening the railway isn't going to help anyone any time soon. If we're discussing hypothetical Rovers Stadium dilemmas then I'd be more happy if we got rid of the railway stand and got a terrace going along there. That won't happen as any work would have to tear up the pitch due to access.

We are the Blackpool of Scotland, up top 1st few months then barely avoided relegation. Last week was Blackpools 3rd win in last 30 league games this season which has left them same as us, 3pts from relegation spot with one game to go, both of us should scrape survival....

My thoughts with the railway stand were along the lines of offering it up as an alternative to sitting behind the goals with a more family orientated atmosphere, therefore encouraging people back to the games, where perhaps they are currently put off by sitting behind the goals where the view is not great.

I also think that reopening the away section of the railway stand offers more flexibility - larger away supports can use that as an extension to the north stand and with games with clubs with small away supports, don't open the north stand and house their support in the railway stand; reducing stewarding and policing costs.

I think it's widely known that the cost to reopen the railway stand is 100-150k.theres also the possibility of extending our hospitality facilities as I understand that demand often outstrips supply.

We.could also look for sponsorship of the stand to cover year on year running costs.

I know we are only at 15% capacity most weeks but the club really need to look at why - I firmly believe a nice environment to go and watch the football will encourage people back. Right now the stand is an eyesore and will only get worse.

Re the ownership issue, we are no danger of being evicted and the deeds will belong to the club once the mortgage is paid so it is in our interest to ensure that the asset we are paying for provides maximum return.

Oh, and how about a 4G pitch? ;-)

My thoughts with the railway stand were along the lines of offering it up as an alternative to sitting behind the goals with a more family orientated atmosphere, therefore encouraging people back to the games, where perhaps they are currently put off by sitting behind the goals where the view is not great.

I also think that reopening the away section of the railway stand offers more flexibility - larger away supports can use that as an extension to the north stand and with games with clubs with small away supports, don't open the north stand and house their support in the railway stand; reducing stewarding and policing costs.

I think it's widely known that the cost to reopen the railway stand is 100-150k.theres also the possibility of extending our hospitality facilities as I understand that demand often outstrips supply.

We.could also look for sponsorship of the stand to cover year on year running costs.

I know we are only at 15% capacity most weeks but the club really need to look at why - I firmly believe a nice environment to go and watch the football will encourage people back. Right now the stand is an eyesore and will only get worse.

Re the ownership issue, we are no danger of being evicted and the deeds will belong to the club once the mortgage is paid so it is in our interest to ensure that the asset we are paying for provides maximum return.

Nice enviroment isn't going to attract fans back when the football on display is the same sh*te every week..

you sure on that?the club were or are in dispute with the owner over rental and were or still are paying no rent

Why spend all that money on bringing the Railway Stand back up to scratch when we struggle to fill the south stand?

Any money we could should be used towards towards debt and playing staff, agreed on the speakers and toilets tho. Things like the railway stand and hospitality suites are something a club with our finances should not be thinking about just now