The New Raith Rovers Thread

I presume Baird will have been one of the first in the office.

He would have been the first...not one of the first. He has single-handedly saved us from relegation as well as scoring the most memorable goal In my lifetime to win us our first cup in 20 years.. Mans a walking legend.

In fairness, I can't imagine Spence would have been at the head of anyone's queue.

If he really wants to be playing football every week, he'll need to drop into the Second Division. I can't imagine he will.

I'd be happy enough if he was still at the club, but it'd be as third choice striker, at best. The best way to get a run in the team, is to justify it on the park. If there's one thing you can say for Grant Murray, it's that he picks the strikers who have most recently scored goals. If Spence was banging them in, he'd have started every game.

He would have been the first...not one of the first. He has single-handedly saved us from relegation as well as scoring the most memorable goal In my lifetime to win us our first cup in 20 years.. Mans a walking legend.

What about The Witch, is he on an extended contract already? The way we ship goals I would be looking to shore this up first.

Given the season he has had it seems quite bold of Spence to play the "play me, or I'm off card"

I'm undecided. He clearly has a bit of talent but he goes about his football the same way a Saturday ammy player does.

It's all nando's and giggles.

In fairness, I can't imagine Spence would have been at the head of anyone's queue.

If he really wants to be playing football every week, he'll need to drop into the Second Division. I can't imagine he will.

I'd be happy enough if he was still at the club, but it'd be as third choice striker, at best. The best way to get a run in the team, is to justify it on the park. If there's one thing you can say for Grant Murray, it's that he picks the strikers who have most recently scored goals. If Spence was banging them in, he'd have started every game.

Spence is our top scorer

I was starstruck in Kittys last week and had a drunken conversation with a few of them. I don't remember much but McGurn used the "I'll stay if I'm offered a deal" line so in other words, he's staying.

I don't see Baird staying at all and I don't blame him. He'll be off to a Falkirk/Hamilton etc. Out the rest I think Thomson, Cardle, Callachan, Hill and Anderson will all be offered a deal and will be happy to stay. Watson and Moon will be offered one but might sniff around elsewhere before deciding. Elliot will probably get one, personally very undecided. Then out the rest you have Smith, Mullen, Spence, Donaldson, Fox, Donaldson, Robinson, Laidlaw, and anyone I've forgotten. Wouldn't be overly upset if any of them left (nor would I be if Hill or Elliot did either, but I don't see it) in all honesty.

Spence is our top scorer

By virtue of taking penalties. How many is he on for the season through them? Some people have a go at Cardle saying his assists have largely been through set-pieces but there's no denying on his day Joe can be a cracking player. In terms of Spence, he's had his chances throughout the second half of the season but hasn't really impressed. When he came to us, I thought he'd go on to become a big player for us. He did well in his first season, but he's not been the same this year. Sadly, he seems more interested in Saturday nights than Saturday afternoons.

Glad to see we've got a contract on the table for Bairdy. Hopefully he signs for us again.

Between fantalk and Facebook you can read some pretty over the top, cringy crap.

However I read one comment tonight that I guess if true would probably annoy me more than any inept display.

Somebody was talking about his son collecting signatures and many players obliged but others had scrawled Pele or Henrik Larsson for a laugh. Just a bit disappointing really.

I'm aware of that, but he hasn't really performed well since the autumn, despite being afforded plenty opportunities. Only twice this season has Spence scored a goal and then not started the next game. One of those I'm sure he was injured. If he'd played better, and scored more goals, he'd have had more game time.

He's got nine goals in the league this season, three of which were penalties. He also scored twice in the Ramsden's and once in the League Cup. He scored eight of those twelve goals between the third of August and the thirteenth of October.

(As an aside, I've just seen that Dougie Hill has only received six yellow cards this season. He's also scored five goals. I think that red card against Dumbarton has overshadowed the work that he's put into improving his disciplinary record.)

I was starstruck in Kittys last week and had a drunken conversation with a few of them. I don't remember much but McGurn used the "I'll stay if I'm offered a deal" line so in other words, he's staying.

I don't see Baird staying at all and I don't blame him. He'll be off to a Falkirk/Hamilton etc. Out the rest I think Thomson, Cardle, Callachan, Hill and Anderson will all be offered a deal and will be happy to stay. Watson and Moon will be offered one but might sniff around elsewhere before deciding. Elliot will probably get one, personally very undecided. Then out the rest you have Smith, Mullen, Spence, Donaldson, Fox, Donaldson, Robinson, Laidlaw, and anyone I've forgotten. Wouldn't be overly upset if any of them left (nor would I be if Hill or Elliot did either, but I don't see it) in all honesty.

I can see Baird staying tbh. He has woefully failed at the higher level, so i reckon he will be happy enough to stay.

Agree with the rest though.

The last Rovers player I had a drunken chat with was Kevin Smith, when we won the Second Division. He told me to "tell the Chairman to get his hand in his pocket". He didn't sign. Edited by Scary Bear

I'm aware of that, but he hasn't really performed well since the autumn, despite being afforded plenty opportunities. Only twice this season has Spence scored a goal and then not started the next game. One of those I'm sure he was injured. If he'd played better, and scored more goals, he'd have had more game time.

He's got nine goals in the league this season, three of which were penalties. He also scored twice in the Ramsden's and once in the League Cup. He scored eight of those twelve goals between the third of August and the thirteenth of October.

(As an aside, I've just seen that Dougie Hill has only received six yellow cards this season. He's also scored five goals. I think that red card against Dumbarton has overshadowed the work that he's put into improving his disciplinary record.)

Dougie Hill was also red carded against Accies in October. So is that just the two sendings of this season?

Nah, thinking about it, there was also the red card against Hearts in the League Cup, when he got involved with Hamill. Although, that was pretty much all down to Hamill. So, just the three?

How many did he get last season?

Edited by Scary Bear

He was also sent off against Hearts... I was putting a positive spin on things...

Last season I recall reds against the Pars and Accies. Any more?

I like Dougie, though. I'd probably offer him a contract. We've only got two centre halves. Can't be losing one.

By virtue of taking penalties. How many is he on for the season through them? Some people have a go at Cardle saying his assists have largely been through set-pieces but there's no denying on his day Joe can be a cracking player. In terms of Spence, he's had his chances throughout the second half of the season but hasn't really impressed. When he came to us, I thought he'd go on to become a big player for us. He did well in his first season, but he's not been the same this year. Sadly, he seems more interested in Saturday nights than Saturday afternoons.

Glad to see we've got a contract on the table for Bairdy. Hopefully he signs for us again.

If Cardle could just remember to pass to Booth occasionally, when Booth makes the overlap, I'd like Cardle a lot more. If I was Booth I'd have given up making that run by now, given the rarity of a pass from Cardle. I recall a couple of goals coming from crosses from Booth. They were earlier in the season.

Last season I recall reds against the Pars and Accies. Any more?

He was also sent off against Deveronvale in the Cup.

Despite the six red cards in two seasons, I'd keep him too. The big thing for me is how Murray addresses the third centre half. This season it was clearly supposed to be Ellis, whilst Donaldson was supposed to be off to Peterhead to learn his trade. I think we were all surprised at just how poor Ellis was, and I suppose it's to the credit of the management team that they recognised that and brought Donaldson back to replace Ellis as first choice back-up.

Do we bring in a (costly) first-team-ready centre half to go in as direct competition for Hill and Watson, or do we keep Donaldson as the primary replacement and bring in a cheap man to fill a squad place (or promote Bates from within)? I'd be inclined to go with the former but it all depends on how Murray wants to prioritise his budget.