The New Raith Rovers Thread

Donaldson is an example of the youth system working. Players don't have to play for us for 15 years or be sold for half a million to be a success. He's come into the first team, made what, 60-70 appearances? And now he's moving on. It's a shame it isn't for a lot of money but he's come through, done a mosttly decent job for us and now he's moving on - in exactly the same way any other signing does.

If we hadn't had Donaldson we'd have been spending a good few extra quid on wages over the past few seasons.

Donaldson is an example of the youth system working. Players don't have to play for us for 15 years or be sold for half a million to be a success. He's come into the first team, made what, 60-70 appearances? And now he's moving on. It's a shame it isn't for a lot of money but he's come through, done a mosttly decent job for us and now he's moving on - in exactly the same way any other signing does.

If we hadn't had Donaldson we'd have been spending a good few extra quid on wages over the past few seasons.

60-70 appearances? Whit!

http://www.raithrovers-mad.co.uk/raith_rovers/player/career/reece_donaldson_95613/index.shtml

Not sure if that's correct, but 60/70 appearances seem high. Reece Davidson is a prime example of how our youth system isn't seen (at least by the last couple of managers) as capable of providing the players we need. Bursts on to the scene as a 17 year old and does well. Then dropped, possibly to 'protect' him, then makes a handful more appearances, then disappears into obscurity, otherwise known as Peterhead. Very disappointing.

Frankly, if Vaughan - who is the only other prospect even remotely worth getting excited about - goes the same way, then I would be sorely tempted to call it a day and just sign the ones the Premiership youth systems let go.

When did we last bring a player through from our youth system who established themselves as a regular in the first team?

NB If someone states Callachan and Laidlaw again I'll fucking scream. Laidlaw was dropped as soon as another keeper came along and Callachan is a poor mans Davidson who is a squad player at best.

When did we last being a player through to the first team and then successfully sell then on for >£50k?

Edited by Scary Bear

60-70 appearances? Whit!

http://www.raithrovers-mad.co.uk/raith_rovers/player/career/reece_donaldson_95613/index.shtml

Not sure if that's correct, but 60/70 appearances seem high. Reece Davidson is a prime example of how our youth system isn't seen (at least by the last couple of managers) as capable of providing the players we need. Bursts on to the scene as a 17 year old and does well. Then dropped, possibly to 'protect' him, then makes a handful more appearances, then disappears into obscurity, otherwise known as Peterhead. Very disappointing.

Frankly, if Vaughan - who is the only other prospect even remotely worth getting excited about - goes the same way, then I would be sorely tempted to call it a day and just sign the ones the Premiership youth systems let go.

When did we last bring a player through from our youth system who established themselves as a regular in the first team?

NB If someone states Callachan and Laidlaw again I'll fucking scream. Laidlaw was dropped as soon as another keeper came along and Callachan is a poor mans Davidson who is a squad player at best.

When did we last being a player through to the first team and then successfully sell then on for >£50k?

There's no way that Donaldson made only 4 appearences last season.

I'll set you off on a rage. Callachan has the ability to go far further than Vaughan, who after an excellent start and the odd moment now and then has been relatively anonymous. Given time I think Callachan will go on to be a decent player. You can compare him to Davidson, but the lad is still young and has time on his side. He's a good tackle and with a bit more confidence could go on to cause problems. He was very unlucky not to end up on three or four goals last season. I'm pretty sure he hit the woodwork three or four times. If he can put in more shifts like our final game to Queens at home, where he did fantastic for Baird's goal, then he'll go on to be a good player at this level.

Really sad to see Donaldson go, however I know it's the right call.

Looked like the loan deal had done him well but shaky performances and red card/match ratio that would make Sergio Ramos salute has signalled his end at the rovers.

I've said before that Vaughan is the new Carcary, the sub the fans call for based on some 30 minutes of a match many moons ago.

There's no way that Donaldson made only 4 appearences last season.

I'll set you off on a rage. Callachan has the ability to go far further than Vaughan, who after an excellent start and the odd moment now and then has been relatively anonymous. Given time I think Callachan will go on to be a decent player. You can compare him to Davidson, but the lad is still young and has time on his side. He's a good tackle and with a bit more confidence could go on to cause problems. He was very unlucky not to end up on three or four goals last season. I'm pretty sure he hit the woodwork three or four times. If he can put in more shifts like our final game to Queens at home, where he did fantastic for Baird's goal, then he'll go on to be a good player at this level.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=59485

11 games according to this. Not sure which ones he started.

I hope you are right about Callachan, but I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I am raging for some reason. Probably down to my kids playing up. Could possibly be post traumatic stress from attending Stark's Park. Might get a claim in.

Edited by Scary Bear

But Callachan HAS established himself as a member of the first team...

I suppose he did this season. How many games did he start?

The first choice midfield for the good part of the season seemed to be Anderson, Cardle, Fox and Moon.

Edited by Scary Bear

Attend more than 4 games a season and get back to us ;)

It was 17 games, although admittedly only 5 in 2014. I wish I had just given up at Christmas, like the team did.

I'm still pondering whether to renew my season ticket or not. If I get that then I'll probably manage another 17 games. If not, it'll be more like 10 games. For all the hype about the best Championship ever next season, I don't think I'm feeling it yet.

Edited by Scary Bear

Im not callachan's biggest fan either, apart from a 25 yard strike over the bar / wide he doesn't really so enough for me. Runs about a lot but a squad player at best for the last 15 / 20 mins

Spot on for me.

Great energy to bring on late on. His driving run to the bye line to set up Baird sums him up well.

I think every team needs a guy that attempts a 30 yarder every week, only for it to threaten the buglers perch.

Google luck to Reece. I hope he goes on to make a good career for himself. I think his level is the championship. I think he could have developed into a decent player but like the rest of our youth team he never got a chance. When will our management team give our youth a chance? If Ellis gets a playing contract ahead of Reese then 2 will know it's jobs for his mates with Murray.

Im not callachan's biggest fan either, apart from a 25 yard strike over the bar / wide he doesn't really so enough for me. Runs about a lot but a squad player at best for the last 15 / 20 mins

Me neither. He's another one who has had the odd good game but in general he's certainly not good enough to be held up as justification for the youth system. He's better than Donaldson but I'd be worried if the intention is for him to be any more than a squad player next season. I wouldn't be bothered if he was released this summer (although I fully expect him to be offered a new deal).

Google luck to Reece. I hope he goes on to make a good career for himself. I think his level is the championship. I think he could have developed into a decent player but like the rest of our youth team he never got a chance. When will our management team give our youth a chance? If Ellis gets a playing contract ahead of Reese then 2 will know it's jobs for his mates with Murray.

Reece got plenty of exposure to the first team.

As others have said he didn't look to convincing in any of his appearances.

I'm not Callachan's biggest fan either. But I was more comfortable with him playing than I was when I heard Donaldson was playing. That's all you need to know really.

I really don't know what next season will bring. Looking forward to the play off, hoping Hamilton do their job and dispose of the Hibees. That would make the league next season very interesting.

I'll get my season ticket at some point. Depends due to work how many games I'll make though. Leg is on the mend, so back to work has been a bugger...

Donaldson had his chance this season and didn't do enough.

He managed to get sent off twice and there was just too many shaky performances, including that ridiculous goal he gave away against Livingston.

Raithie, on 20 May 2014 - 08:29, said:

If Cardle is money driven then I think we can say goodbye, Ross County and Dundee after him.

Source? There's not been even the slightest rumour about him from our end.