The New Raith Rovers Thread

Donaldson had his chance this season and didn't do enough.

He managed to get sent off twice and there was just too many shaky performances, including that ridiculous goal he gave away against Livingston.

Agree with this was hopeful for Donaldson but never quite looked good enough to break into the first team thought the loan move would help and it might of had we not had to recall him, for me he will never make more than a first division Championship back up player so understand moving him on he probably wants first team football and won't get it for us. 38 games for RRFC is hardly a failure of our youth system yes we should be producing more and selling them on but in Donaldson's case he played his part for the first team but just didn't quite make it no disgrace in that and did a job for us. Wish him all the best at Peterhead.

If Cardle is money driven then I think we can say goodbye, Ross County and Dundee after him.

Would say Ross County is unlikely wanted to move South last season but Dundee is possible (Yes I know its still North before some smart arse says it :P ) but he could play there without having to move house and with a new child its more likely than County. Would prefer to keep him but I think he will aim higher than Raith and will get a better offer although I thought the same of Moon and was delighted to hear we kept him so who knows.

ETA Stupid new name of our Division (Will eventually get it right)

Edited by San Starko Rover

To be fair, they probably got it off of here. Having said that, Dundee would be a sensible move for him, if it turned out they wanted him.

I agree with that, good luck to him if he does. It's where every player wants to be, I'd be no different.

Is there any news on players coming or going. I know about Reece, a bit unfortunate. I think Murray might come to rue that decision as he's versatile.

Donaldson is hardly a failure of the youth programme, he played a full season at right back for us at only 17 following from mr Reliable Craig Wilson. He hasn't quite developed as quickly as we would of hoped but I still think he will still become a good player

Anyone suggesting that both Callaghan and Vaughan wont be good enough i can only assume you were on the booze. Callachan hasn't looked out of place most of the times he has been in the first team and Vaughan has been unlucky he hasn't had more game time (remind me his starts to man of the match ratio?). Our youth programme is finally producing players who can come into the first team and after watching them play against Spartans pre season last year im excited to see who will be next to break through

I agree with that, good luck to him if he does. It's where every player wants to be, I'd be no different.

Is there any news on players coming or going. I know about Reece, a bit unfortunate. I think Murray might come to rue that decision as he's versatile.

I'm not sure he is THAT versatile. He played centre back all through the youth teams before playing as a right back at U-19 and breaking into the first team in the position, there is no doubt he had a bit of pace there but he seems to have slowed a bit since then. He'll be a decent centre half but that's one of the hardest positions for a younger player to learn: it's one of those positions where raw energy and enthusiasm can't quite make up for experience and reading the game well.

No doubt he'll come good and I hope he does, he needs more time playing but we are not in a position to carry folk right now. Hopefully he does an Ellis and comes back in a second spell as an accomplished defender.

As for Callachan give the lad a chance. He's only 20 and last season was really his first full season of regular football. He may push on this season and become the midfielder we hope.

For Cardle I'd like him to stay. As much as people moan about him he's our most creative player and when he didn't play the whole team looked even more unbalanced. If he ended up at a Dundee or similar then good luck to him. He certainly tired a lot more than some of the others players did last season. He might just surprise us and look at several other players who have left for "better things" and ended up crawling back to their clubs. The grass isn't always greener.

I'd have preferred it if we were playing in York but it's a decent wee fixture regardless.

York is lovely, if it had been away and at the weekend I would have made the trip. National Railway Museum is great.

Donaldson is hardly a failure of the youth programme, he played a full season at right back for us at only 17 following from mr Reliable Craig Wilson. He hasn't quite developed as quickly as we would of hoped but I still think he will still become a good player

Anyone suggesting that both Callaghan and Vaughan wont be good enough i can only assume you were on the booze. Callachan hasn't looked out of place most of the times he has been in the first team and Vaughan has been unlucky he hasn't had more game time (remind me his starts to man of the match ratio?). Our youth programme is finally producing players who can come into the first team and after watching them play against Spartans pre season last year im excited to see who will be next to break through

Donaldson didn't play a full season at full back. From memory he started the season, then he was dropped, possibly for Thomson. Looked a player at that time, but never developed as hoped.

I agree that if Vaughan actually got a decent run of games he might come good.

I think at the moment I am still scunnered with the Rovers. My five visits to Stark's Park in 2014 were all defeats, four of them by a clear two goals. Would have been five if Spence hasn't score late on against Cowden.

Edited by Scary Bear

Agreed.

Whilst not unearthing superstars (yet), finally we are seeing some product on the park.

Donaldson, Callachan, Vaughan and Laidlaw are good youngsters with the potential for very good careers ahead of them. Donaldson isn't the right fit for us just now but no reason why he can't develop his game and confidence with Peterhead.

I most definitely wouldn't be scrapping the youth system and actually believe that the combined Fife Elite agreement is the first step for all Fife teams to potentially develop some quality players.

Good luck Reece.

Is he a left back?

If so, wingback style or more focused on defending?

"Scott,a left winger and left back"

From Wikipedia. Looks like he's more in the wingback category... unless he's a Cardle replacement?

Is he a left back?

If so, wingback style or more focused on defending?

Left back aye. He's a pretty solid player, likes to get forward and has good delivery. His pace isn't great and he can get caught out at times, not the greatest defender but does a solid enough job. I like him and I hope we can hold on to him.

From Wikipedia. Looks like he's more in the wingback category... unless he's a Cardle replacement?

Cheers, Enigma.

Probably should have deducted that from the synopsis of the player on the DFC website that he can play in midfield too.

I thought we were very staid with Malone in there after we had Dyer bombing forward at any given opportunity. Booth was fantastic at that too and it made for a more entertaining (though often more exposed) left side.

Says he can play Centre Midfield as well so quite versatile which is definitely what we need, hopefully Booth's replacement (Will be back at Hibs I think) rather than Cardle if true.