Who's Going To Uni?

I have to write 3,000 words assessing the critical reception to a musicological book.

This would have been useful if I was interested in getting into academic wankery.

A sentence fragment from one of the reviews.

"[The author]'s sociological examination of evaluative practices eschews quasi-evaluative assertions about the value of..."

Fucking hell It's like Sao Paulo analysing JC Hutchisons bye kicks in a match between Clyde and Auchinleck Talbot.

Edited by Mushroom

So exams are in less than a week, oh joy. dry.gif

However, one of the modules, I got 85% for my coursework, which means I only need 54% from my exam to get myself an A, which tbh is a massive weight off my chest, knowing I can balls the exam up and still get a good mark regardless.

Shame I aint confident of my second coursework, in fact, I'm fairly sure I'll fail it, so I'll have to re-submit, however the exam is weighted at 60% of the modules overall mark and I'm quite comfortable with that subject, so I expect to do well in that exam, so hopefully that will boost my mark.

Other than that, my only other gripe is the fact I need to re-locate to Sighthill to do my exams. :angry: Ones ar 9.30, the pther at 5.30, fucking rush hour.

I think I seen Ad Lib at the Uni earlier this week, if he was cutting about with a Greaves Sports bag. If not, I'll get over it.

If it was yesterday it probably was me. I use a Greaves bag to keep my swimming gear in. Went for an afternoon swim at the Stevie.

Got 4 exams in 1 week which seems a bit daft too me. All the exams are worth 80% of the overall grade Aswell so a bit of pressure.

Next Friday; analysis

Tuesday after that: differential equations

Wednesday: operational research

Friday: mathematical methods. It's going to be s fun week...

Could be wrong but don't continental plates sort of float on the molten iron whereas islands are usually just bits of landmass above sea level (which may lie on a continental or oceanic plate)? They don't cover a tectonic plate in their own right.

I've never seen why it shouldn't be classed as an island as by definition like you say, it's just a bit of subaerial land surrounded by water. Iceland sits on both the North American and Eurasian plates yet folk have no issue when it's called an island.

It seems an incredibly vague area, but to me as a geologist, if you said the word 'continent' to me, I'd assume you'd mean the whole thing; land, continental shelf, the oceanic crust attached to it, the lot.

Additionally, the crust doesn't 'float' on the mantle. There's a chemical change between the crust and mantle (the latter being a whole pile of minerals with more Mg than anything else probably - f**k knows really, not much comes up here) but the upper part of the mantle is rigid too, bringing in physically derived terms like 'lithosphere', 'aesthenosphere' alongside various transition zones which you don't want to know about and probably don't care about anyway.

Edited by Hedgecutter

The test was extremely hard. 40 minutes to answer 60 questions, roughly 100 people sitting it. I answered about 50 of the questions, would say that I was pretty confident on 15 of those, with the rest educated guesses. If I had to guess I'd say I got about 25, which I can see being respectable, but probably not enough to go through. Theyre going to email tomorrow with scores. In the meantime, heres some examples of the questions.

What is the longest river in the UK not to enter the sea under its own name?

Name 2 of the 5 African countries passed through by the Greenwich Meridian

What is the most populous island on Earth?

What is the name, from the German, given to conflict between secular and religious leaders, and specifically Bismarck's clashes with the Papacy?

The house of Wittelsbach ruled which German state from 1180 to 1918?

Plantar refers to which part of the body?

1. Pass... Thames?

2. Mali and Ghana

3. Java

4. Kulturkampf

5. Umm... Prussia?

6. Palate?

edit: yes, I see the answers now. Prussia was a dreadful guess, I should have got that. Would never have got the other two.

Edited by Swampy

I originally thought the River Hull for Q1 seeing as the Humber Estuary can be called the River Humber but the Trent also runs in there and it sounds cooler, hence probably longer and more important.

For the record, I have an issue with the River Tay. Surely you can't take a bunch of rivers that flow in and out of different lochs, add the length of them up, add the lengths of the lochs on as well and then proclaim it the longest in Scotland??

Geographers really do f*** everything up!

Everything comes in a week, I had a presentation where every else in my group was so painfully shy it was left to me to make a tit of myself in the Q&A. I've never even been in Starbucks but I think providing a somewhat unique experience in rural Marseilles is not a good answer to any question. I hate it when people don't pull their weight.

This is followed up by a faux Dragons Den presentation on Thursday where thankfully the rest of my group is pretty laid back like me and will forgive something out on the train on the way up. Then a graded self assessment on Friday followed by a 30% essay and 20% all maths class test on Monday. I've not done any kind of maths test since 4th year at school but I think through practice I'm getting the hang of it.

Then I've got a month to do a 70% coursework business plan.

University is hard, and if you do lots of group work you inevitably end up working with people who won't pull their weight - and may be sexual predators, as we learned earlier. It's particularly in public speaking roles, you're torn between making them contribute and cringing at their shit attempt.

Also my class is called off tomorrow and won't be rescheduled as to not "devalue" the strike. It was should bankers take an oath strangely enough. Hopefully it will be taken into account marking our essays on Monday.

And being a real geek I've not missed one lecture all semester happy.gif

Out of 50 days the only two I had off was tomorrow and one Monday (both call offs), and I had to leave one early cause of an interview. Good effort, in first and second year I barely went to any...

6k Human Rights Law group project due in on the 9th, but we're going to try to get it in a near finished format tomorrow (well, now today). Politics essay which I've written about 800 of 2000 words on which can be charitably described as "bullshitting" so far due in on Monday. Asides that, my Criminal Law & Evidence exam in a week, then Jurisprudence a week later. They're 1st and 2nd year courses respectively so they've not been terribly tricky. I think I turned up to about 2/3 of the lectures for each, but I actually got better notes just taking the lecture handout and slides and reading up on my own at a more tolerable hour than 10am.

I am dangerously half-arsed at the moment. I don't know why, but I just can't get psyched for this year's exam diet at all. I'm sure I just can't remember what I was like a week before the exams last year but it doesn't feel like I was this apathetic that close. Perhaps it's just the fear only likely to kick in at the weekend.

800 words into a Modern Political Thought essay due in on the 14th of December.

I've planned my essay for Contemporary British Governance due in for December 19th (I'll hand it in early though since I'm back up to Inverness on the 16th). The essay title is: Assess the view that modern government requires "political spin".

Still need to finish my Contemporary British Governance tutorial presentation for this Friday on "Should the UK use proportional representation to elect MPs to Westminster?". That should take a couple of hours to knock up a decent presentation that won't focus on endless quotes from books like most other presentations in my tutorial group.

Both essays are 2000 words long, so it's looking good now. I only really need to concentrate on some revision for HRD exam and my Work & Organisational Psychology exam, for both classes we have a very good idea of the actual exam questions.

Awwwww yeeeeeaaaaa.

University is hard, and if you do lots of group work you inevitably end up working with people who won't pull their weight - and may be sexual predators, as we learned earlier. It's particularly in public speaking roles, you're torn between making them contribute and cringing at their shit attempt.

Absolutely spot on. In my final year at university. Within my three modules it has been all group work. One group was a splendid group to work with and everyone was pretty laid back. Another group was effectively working with mates but had a disaster one day when one of the boys forgot to save our work onto a USB from the day before and we lost 1000 words of our report. Was raging :lol:

The final group were a bombscare. I chose a Tuesday morning class at 9am - big mistake. There were few boys in the class at the time but decided to go with a group of 5 girls with 3 being rather hot. Two weeks later I realised it was a big mistake. Between them, they must have pulled out of at least 15 meetings. We scraped a 2:1 grade in the end for our end of term presentation and group report but I basically done everything. Something I never want to experience again.

I also saw Ad Lib today for the first time this term, he was remonstrating with someone on the hill up to the library.

Anyway, I was going to put this in the Quick Question thread but I got back a 20% coursework at B3 but the main body of the course is other coursework worth 70%. How much of a difference would there need to be between my 20% and 70% to affect my grade? I know if I got an A1 in the 70% I would have to be brought down by the 20% but what about if I got an A4-B1? Basically, how pissed should I be? The two people in my group with gratitutously similar coursework got A4s.

My lecturer told me to come and discuss it at his office which is the polite way of saying "f**k off".

Also our presentations are not graded but rather to help us in business plan preparation, I see no worth in a Dominik Diamond impersonator laughing as I try to answer his stupid questions.

I also saw Ad Lib today for the first time this term, he was remonstrating with someone on the hill up to the library.

Wasn't heading to the library. Was heading to the Adam Smith for a Jurisprudence lecture. Was a fellow law student. Was discussing our group project for Human Rights Law.

Anyway, I was going to put this in the Quick Question thread but I got back a 20% coursework at B3 but the main body of the course is other coursework worth 70%. How much of a difference would there need to be between my 20% and 70% to affect my grade? I know if I got an A1 in the 70% I would have to be brought down by the 20% but what about if I got an A4-B1? Basically, how pissed should I be? The two people in my group with gratitutously similar coursework got A4s.

My lecturer told me to come and discuss it at his office which is the polite way of saying "f**k off".

Also our presentations are not graded but rather to help us in business plan preparation, I see no worth in a Dominik Diamond impersonator laughing as I try to answer his stupid questions.

Assuming 10% is tutorial performance?

If your tutorial performance grade was identical to your 70% of coursework grade, the effect for any A grade average over that 80% of the course) is that you'll be reduced by a band. If you get a B the 20% of coursework will be completely irrelevant to your grade.

Wasn't heading to the library. Was heading to the Adam Smith for a Jurisprudence lecture. Was a fellow law student. Was discussing our group project for Human Rights Law.

Assuming 10% is tutorial performance?

If your tutorial performance grade was identical to your 70% of coursework grade, the effect for any A grade average over that 80% of the course) is that you'll be reduced by a band. If you get a B the 20% of coursework will be completely irrelevant to your grade.

.I couldn't think of a more technical term than "library hill". I wasn't heading to the library either.

Don't assume anything on this course, 10% is for self assessment laugh.gif

Sounds easy but I don't know why my critique was so pish so maybe I'm looking at it in totally the wrong way, the self assessment is due for Monday anyway (wrongly stated as Friday till today).

For any A grade I'll be reduced by 1 band but no effect for B grade? Doesn't bother me much, I don't think there's much chance of me getting an A anyway but anything less than a B and I'm challenging on the grounds of wrong process because of other aspects of the course.

Just managed to finish formatting and printing off my composition which is due... actually today now. I had all the right notes in the right order 2 days ago.

The moral is, Finale notation software can f**k right off.

Edited by Mushroom