Who's Going To Uni?

First exam on monday, thanks to the coursework, I've got at least a quarter of the marks available for the module. Meaning I don't have to do brilliantly to pass it (30% in the actual exam will be enough). However I haven't done nearly enough work for it and tbh I am going out today and Saturday, so it's going to be a case of nailing the it on Sunday and Monday morning. But the lecturer has sort of hinted at what should be revised which is always helpful.

Then 2nd and final exam on Thursday, of which I'll have 2 full days to revise for it, so that shouldn't be too bad, need even less to get a good mark in that exam. Which is nice.

My January timetable was released today. 9th, 11th and 16th of January. 9th and 16th are the harder subject and 11th is relatively easy to it's a half decent timetable. I was supposed to have an exam for another subject, hope it's actually in May and it doesn't get added inbetween them.

I'm not the type to leave things to the last minute, so I was exceptionally worried about my (2500-3000 word) essay which is due tomorrow (and worth 75% of this 30 credit course and could count to my final mark) I was sitting at around 1700 overnight, but have managed to hit 2600, with 2 and a half hours work this afternoon, which is a massive relief.

I have an A5 for the other 25%, so naturally it would be a massive boost to at least keep this in the high B's and make this course that I thought would be more a case of something to get over with, something that could actually help my final classification!

Edited by Mushroom

My first ever uni exam is on friday and I've already resigned myself to failure. Great start.

Mines tomorrow and I know the feeling, albiet the lecturers all said they don't expect good marks, since its the first exam we've done in years, so a pass is a pass in my books atm. :lol:

Got me exam timetable t'other day.

Friday 13th January 2012 - HRD

Wednesday 18th January 2012 - Contemporary British Governance

Thursday 19th January 2012 - Work And Organisational Psychology

All three exams are two hours long. I think I can do pretty well in them and a few weeks of revision should ensure I can back up my claim.

It is a seen exam which means I have two weeks to prepare my first-class answers

Seriously, what's the point in these seen exams? (by this I assume you are given the question in advance?) I had one of these once and saw it as a waste of time, basically testing your ability to memorise a set text like a Standard Grade German speaking exam. Even the class idiot got a decent mark if I remember correctly (which probably secured him his Third by the skin of his teeth!)

in my essay i've referenced a book, partly written by someone in the department, that has yet to be published. i found it on google scholar and took quite a lot of information from it before realising the date on it.

is this allowed?

in my essay i've referenced a book, partly written by someone in the department, that has yet to be published. i found it on google scholar and took quite a lot of information from it before realising the date on it.

is this allowed?

If it's on google scholar then I can't see why not.

My first ever uni exam is on friday and I've already resigned myself to failure. Great start.

Friday? You can rescue anything by Friday.

That's quitter mentality. dry.gif

^^^

Gets a 2:1 and is raging.

It's always funny when that doesn't work.

Question here.

For Turnitin, is a low score/percentage good? It hasn't been explained to us at all.

Yes, kinda. From what I heard from my lecturer it is to avoid people buying essays off the internet or soemthing but is actually pretty useless. I got 4% but it's a pain in the tits having to print it off and all that.

is this allowed?

I don't know what google scholar is but I use google books and cite the book not the webpage. If ever questioned on publishing dates my response is two fold:

1) I found it in the Mitchell library - see them searching through that 8)

2) I have a friend in the states who gave me the reference.

If those fail come clean and say a bigger boy told you to do it.

I had my one and only exam and despite being a class test worth only 20% I studied like f**k for it and have hopefully come out with a decent B-A grade. There was one question I kept fucking up but I think a superhuman writing effort at the end might have said it. It was my only totally numerical exam since 4th year at school but I think I handled it fairly well.

And I've heard some educated guesses with regards to the standard deviation of market portfoilios in the US in the last 80 years was actually correct.

Quite a few people on the course did zero revision - accepted they were going to fail and then started texting me at 1 this morning and then blamed me afterwards :lol:

Never understood that mentality, even if I don't really understand the course I always go into exams with a fighting chance.

Also handed in two further courseworks today which means until the 9th I only have a 70% weighted business plan, a presentation and some internship applications. Do-able.

I don't know what google scholar is but I use google books and cite the book not the webpage. If ever questioned on publishing dates my response is two fold:

1) I found it in the Mitchell library - see them searching through that 8)

2) I have a friend in the states who gave me the reference.

If those fail come clean and say a bigger boy told you to do it.

google scholar basically gives you links to various journals as well as books kept on google books.

i also just reference the book instead of copying the link, but i am quite wary of referencing a book that says its publication date is 2012.