Who's Going To Uni?

When I applied for Economics at Dundee last year, they were the first to reply. I got an offer round about the beginning/middle of February. f**k living in Dundee for 4 years, it's a complete bin and it's too far from the central belt.

:lol:

It's not really though. The Central Belt is the M8 corridor with the assorted townships around it, possibly leading up to Stirling and that's it.

Here we go :rolleyes:

The opinion of anyone who thinks that Greenock isn't on the west coast is completely irrelevant.

It's not really though. The Central Belt is the M8 corridor with the assorted townships around it, possibly leading up to Stirling and that's it.

Bollocks. It's a trapezoid encompassing Dundee, Ayr, Dunbar and Dumbarton.

Bollocks. It's a trapezoid encompassing Dundee, Ayr, Dunbar and Dumbarton.

Rubbish. It is as the name suggests, a snug belt that fits the Clyde and Forth valleys. There's a very good reason why the Romans thought 'f**k this' and built a wall across it.

Lowland Triangle = M8 corridor

Central Belt/lowlands = Area between the Highland Boundary Fault and Southern Uplands Fault.

The Central Belt is not the same as the Lowland/Highland divide, or everything up to about Aberdeen would have to also be classed as 'Central Belt'.

Rubbish. It is as the name suggests, a snug belt that fits the Clyde and Forth valleys. There's a very good reason why the Romans thought 'f**k this' and built a wall across it.

The Central Belt is not the same as the Lowland/Highland divide, or everything up to about Aberdeen would have to also be classed as 'Central Belt'.

The Highland Boundary Fault runs immediately north of Stonehaven. I was actually standing right on it and pointing it out to a field group yesterday! This marks the northern extent of the Midland Valley which of course is different to the Central Belt, so you're right with that part. The southern extent runs as far down the west coast to Ballantrae.

However, Dundee is right on the northern margin of the Central Belt which is the densly populated corridor within this Midland Valley. Follow it along to the west and this also takes in Perth and the whole of Fife to the south.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Dundee is right on the northern margin of the Central Belt which is the densly populated corridor within this Midland Valley. Follow it along to the west and this also takes in Perth and the whole of Fife to the south.

It's not really though. The area between Stirling and Perth is largely sticks and hicks. Tayside is a different part of Scotland from the Central Belt, as is Fife, by virtue of being on the wrong side of the Firth of Forth.

It's not really though. The area between Stirling and Perth is largely sticks and hicks. Tayside is a different part of Scotland from the Central Belt, as is Fife, by virtue of being on the wrong side of the Firth of Forth.

It's a population thing. Feast your eyes upon this density map and you'll see the Central Belt stick out nicely. Every geography related issue which you've jumped into on here has always ended in tears and this one will be no different.

regpopdens09scotlandv2_tcm77-224489.gif

It's a population thing. Feast your eyes upon this density map and you'll see the Central Belt stick out nicely.

Indeed I do. But I also see Dundee cut off from Civilisation by the selection of sticks and hicks more commonly referred to as 'Perthshire'. It's a Tayside outpost.

The Central Belt is on the south side of the Forth: anywhere on the north side is not in the Belt.

Central belt is all the lowlands that are non-tcheuchter territory so Dundee qualifies.

I actually like Dundee city, and wouldn't say it's teuchter. But it's slap bang in the middle of teuchters on three sides and Fife - even worse than teuchters - on the other.

Unless you're planning to relocate on the right side of the Forth then I'm afraid you're a north-east outpost of Civilisation. No belt for you.

Just accepted a conditional offer from Strathclyde for Chemistry (with Drug Discovery) :D.

Anyone else on here at/going to Strathclyde?

Lucky you, you'll meet my husband in 2nd year. He's the technican in the 2nd year lab!