Who's Going To Uni?

Whether Dundee is in the Central belt or not isn't the issue. It's too far from all the towns and cities served by the M8, rendering it an inconvenient shitehole.

Why yes, because the M8 is clearly the only major road in Scotland.

Well done on completely missing the point.

The great thing about a road network is that all the roads connect up to each other. You don't have to cross a field or scale a mountain to get from Dundee onto the M8.

The great thing about a road network is that all the roads connect up to each other. You don't have to cross a field or scale a mountain to get from Dundee onto the M8.

Dundee is 68 miles from Edinburgh, and 80 miles from Glasgow. Too far from all the important places, IMO.

It's two hours from Glasgow on the slower version of the Megabus. That is absolutely chronic when you're hungover to f**k.

On the other hand if you go by train the time from Dundee to Glasgow or Dundee to Edinburgh or one of the slower trains between Glasgow and Edinburgh is virtually imperceptible.

On the other hand if you go by train the time from Dundee to Glasgow or Dundee to Edinburgh or one of the slower trains between Glasgow and Edinburgh is virtually imperceptible.

Glasgow to Edinburgh is something like 45 minutes on the fast train, Dundee is still an hour and a half away on the fast bus or train.

Which is why the Central Belt is best.

Glasgow to Edinburgh is something like 45 minutes on the fast train, Dundee is still an hour and a half away on the fast bus or train.

Which is why the Central Belt is best.

Queen Street fast train to Waverley: 50 minutes

Queen Street slow train to Waverley: 1 hour 15 minutes

Central train to Waverley: 1hour 5 minutes

Dundee to Queen Street: 1 hour 20 minutes

Dundee to Waverley: alternates between 1 hour 7 minutes and 1 hour 18 minutes

It's much of a muchness save the most direct Queen Street train to Edinburgh.

Queen Street fast train to Waverley: 50 minutes

It's much of a muchness save the most direct Queen Street train to Edinburgh.

Which is the one everyone uses, all the time. 40 minutes one way is a big saving IMO.

Will be studying Computer Science at Robert Gordon next year. Bollocks to that. I'm not even any good at programming. Wish I'd bothered my hole to apply last year and gotten a conditional for a good university. Does anyone even study there? it seems like the most unspoken of uni in Scotland. Is that indicative of how shite it is?

Will be studying Computer Science at Robert Gordon next year. Bollocks to that. I'm not even any good at programming. Wish I'd bothered my hole to apply last year and gotten a conditional for a good university. Does anyone even study there? it seems like the most unspoken of uni in Scotland. Is that indicative of how shite it is?

I know a few people who studied there. Even if it's a bad uni (and I don't know where it stands in the ratings, but the people I know that went there enjoyed it), Aberdeen has a great nightlife for students. I know loads of people say it's a boring and shite city, but the music scene is great, loads of brilliant venues and loads of good local bands. Not a great place for families or even professionals really, but a student has no excuse for not enjoying the place because all there is to do is drink and go to gigs.

I think Robert Gordon has the highest ratio for students getting jobs in the fields they've studied. It's something like 85%.

Halls anywhere are what you make of them.

As I said before, anything more than a bed and a sink to piss in is firmly in the "frills" category. Even a desk is superfluous for first year.

Yep. Its just somewhere to sleep for a few months, when did students start getting so damn fussy?

It's a decent University, and pretty under-rated in general. Have you got any other offers?

I'll be applying for University next year. History at Aberdeen would have been my first choice but the accomodation looked dreadful. Anyone staying/stayed at the halls at Aberdeen? Are they as bad as they look?

I stayed at Johnston Halls for my first year and they were perfectly fine. Not sure if you're referring to these which look a little dated from the outside or the ones up at Hillhead. As said above, halls are what you make them.

I think Robert Gordon has the highest ratio for students getting jobs in the fields they've studied. It's something like 85%.

This, but probably because it focusses on more applied subjects rather than the likes of Geography, History, English etc where graduates from these types of subjects tend to end up doing barwork or temping rather than in the field they were after.

Edited by Hedgecutter

I know a few people who studied there. Even if it's a bad uni (and I don't know where it stands in the ratings, but the people I know that went there enjoyed it), Aberdeen has a great nightlife for students. I know loads of people say it's a boring and shite city, but the music scene is great, loads of brilliant venues and loads of good local bands. Not a great place for families or even professionals really, but a student has no excuse for not enjoying the place because all there is to do is drink and go to gigs.

Sounds good tbh. The social aspect is pretty much the main reason I decided to go to uni.

It's a decent University, and pretty under-rated in general. Have you got any other offers?

Yeah, also got two unconditionals from Edinburgh Napier and Cale(was never, ever going to happen, was just a space filler). Stirling said no, which is where I wanted to go the most. Dundee also said no, stating that I didn't have the entry requirements( which was a bloody lie) but I didn't want to go there anyway.

Sounds good tbh. The social aspect is pretty much the main reason I decided to go to uni.

With the two unis, Aberdeen's (allegedly) got >50,000 students so out of 217,000 folk, that's a big chunk, partly why there's so many bars and clubs for a relatively small city. The drinking scene is also split up into three almost distinctive areas with students taking over the bottom third of Union St with Belmont St. Oileys & young professionals pretending they're rich tend to go up the other side at the West End and your more working class places inbetween (Chicago Rock Cafe etc) meaning students tend to be around other students etc.

As pointed out in another thread already, they also have street urinals on a Friday / Saturday night if you desperately need to go.

Edited by Hedgecutter