Who's Going To Uni?

Note for Stirling newcomers:

Don't get your hopes up when people talk about cheap drink at Unions. Your Union is dreadful and probably just marginally cheaper than your local.

Is Glow still there? :lol:

I remember from last time how shite it was. Glow in particular seemed to think that it'd be a good idea to charge the same as the local clubs and shut at 1 AM. I think I went there a grand total of twice, which was one more time than most people.

I know it's an asda, i just dont know which bus to get.

Just saw this. Is this for Asda Chesser? The best bus to get there is the 35, which goes right up next to the Corn Exchange.

Is Glow still there? :lol:

I remember from last time how shite it was. Glow in particular seemed to think that it'd be a good idea to charge the same as the local clubs and shut at 1 AM. I think I went there a grand total of twice, which was one more time than most people.

Yes, Glow is still there, and yes, that's still how it operates.

I've been in 4 or 5 times. Once for the Opening Night thing the very first day I was there, once for a Fancy Dress thing that I think we left after about 15 minutes and went to Dusk, and the rest of the times were for Rock Night, which were just spur of the moment because it was on campus.

It's a dreadfully run place. They'll do stuff like "£1 for a bottle of Stella" and then fill half a chiller cabinet with Stella, and be completely shocked when absolutely everyone is drinking it and then start giving out warm (not lukewarm... actually warm) bottles after 20 minutes.

The whole Union set up is a complete farce. Although, it seems they've put a Starbucks in downstairs now, which I can only assume is in the little alcove bit away from the "dancefloor".

So in the one tiny little space, over two floors, they've got Studio, The Long Bar, Glow and a coffee shop. Probably all losing money!

Just saw this. Is this for Asda Chesser? The best bus to get there is the 35, which goes right up next to the Corn Exchange.

Aye, but if he's going from Heriot Watt, he's only really got the choice of the 25 and the 34 ;)

your best wth the 34.
Aye, but if he's going from Heriot Watt, he's only really got the choice of the 25 and the 34 ;)

34 it is then. probably not going to get until early next week, I'm going home on saturday anyway.

Yes, Glow is still there, and yes, that's still how it operates.

I've been in 4 or 5 times. Once for the Opening Night thing the very first day I was there, once for a Fancy Dress thing that I think we left after about 15 minutes and went to Dusk, and the rest of the times were for Rock Night, which were just spur of the moment because it was on campus.

It's a dreadfully run place. They'll do stuff like "£1 for a bottle of Stella" and then fill half a chiller cabinet with Stella, and be completely shocked when absolutely everyone is drinking it and then start giving out warm (not lukewarm... actually warm) bottles after 20 minutes.

The whole Union set up is a complete farce. Although, it seems they've put a Starbucks in downstairs now, which I can only assume is in the little alcove bit away from the "dancefloor".

So in the one tiny little space, over two floors, they've got Studio, The Long Bar, Glow and a coffee shop. Probably all losing money!

Sounds like nothing much has changed, then. Did Dusk used to be Enigma?

Does the 34 go to Heriot Watt? Didn't realise that.

Once he's found his way around the local area a bit better, or if he knows anyone with a car, Tesco at Hermiston Gait's actually closer.

Mostly packed up tonight so I don't have to do it all tomorrow. Bit nervous about the whole situation now, but looking forward to it all the same!

Stirling Uni types - when do you get your timetables? And what do you do to get t'internet set up?

Mostly packed up tonight so I don't have to do it all tomorrow. Bit nervous about the whole situation now, but looking forward to it all the same!

Stirling Uni types - when do you get your timetables? And what do you do to get t'internet set up?

Internet's free for a fortnight, I think. Then it's £20 a semester.

Last year, though, there were some hellish problems with "CampusNet", the software you need to connect to the internet on campus. Some folk in Halls went without internet for ages.

You can more or less work your timetable out now if you've got your classes.

You'll find they've got names like "MGT9A3" and you'll have to look them up on the timetables here.

I don't know if you've got your username and password yet, or if you'll need it for that.

Look up the department your classes are in, for example that one is in Marketing. Then search the timetable for that code, and you'll get a box with something like this in it...

MGT9A3.L#

C.LTA3

2-6, 8-12

The ".L" bit means it's a lecture, the second line is the room its in, in this case it's "Cottrell Building. Lecture Theatre A3". The third line is the week's that the lectures take place on. We must have week 7 off or something.

You'll also get .S, which are tutorials. You only get one a week, but there are loads on the timetable. You just choose one at some point.

Don't think that timetables are released until the Wednesday of Fresher's Week or something along those lines. They need to get all the module choices in before they can do the timetables, I think.

When I was there before (which was in 2005) you had to bring your own computer (obviously) and then buy a special cable from the hall monitor (which I refuse to call "concierge")'s office, which you had to connect before you could use the uni connection. I imagine that it's still the same now.

I'm not even bringing a computer with me, as the one that I had before's fucked and I don't have a laptop. I'm sure that my army of loyal(ist) fans on P&b will be gutted. :(

Aye, its my favourite club in the world! :D

Used to be quality on Monday nights back in the day.

I'm going to feel like an old c**t at Fresher's Week.

Simple question, who's going to uni after the summer, what uni and what are you going to do there?

I'm going to Caledonian to do Social Sciences, which will hopefully lead me onto politics and Spanish, I can't wait to go :)

What? That sentence makes no sense, you want to do a language and politics, so you're doing the McDonald's training course because? *Closes the stereotype door*

Why not just take politics and take Spanish as an elective, or you not have the grades?

If you're seriously considering 3/4 years to get the entry requirements then you're off your head!

You can work out your timetable on the portal, there should be a 'timetables' thing you can click on the left hand side. It takes a but of figuring out bit its not rocket science.

Internet in halls, I asume this is where you are staying, required an ethernet cable and you need to pay £20 to somebody, they will tell you this though. If you are not in halls you have to talk to some cluless indians who will take weeks to activate a phone line and another 5 days to pump the broadband in <_<

I am all packed and leave at the crack of doom tomorow morning, can't wait.

Aye, if you don't have an internet cable (there's probably a technical term...) you'll have to buy one from the SUSA shop, in the Atrium. The only time I've ever been in that shop was to buy my cable. I don't even know what they sell, other than American-style "Stirling University" hoodies.

Probably an ethernet cable.

You can more or less work your timetable out now if you've got your classes.

MGT9A3.L#

C.LTA3

2-6, 8-12

The ".L" bit means it's a lecture, the second line is the room its in, in this case it's "Cottrell Building. Lecture Theatre A3". The third line is the week's that the lectures take place on. We must have week 7 off or something.

You absolute poooooove! Real men have their women to figure the timetable. In four years, I didn't once look at that crazy complicated timetable.