Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

7 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

Started a job application last night but the old annoying issue of getting references is bugging me. Dont want my current employers to know I'm applying but I need the reference. It's a pain in the arse and I dont know how to deal with it because I overthink things like this.

Any advice?

I’ll give you a reference.

1 hour ago, Jamaldo said:

Started a job application last night but the old annoying issue of getting references is bugging me. Dont want my current employers to know I'm applying but I need the reference. It's a pain in the arse and I dont know how to deal with it because I overthink things like this.

Any advice?

"References available upon request". They shouldn't be contacting references until they've decided to offer you the position anyway. If they're past that point, or insist on names on the electronic application, do you have any current colleagues who can be trusted to keep their mouth shut? I've got away with using the name of a friendly receptionist before.

On the subject of references, the HR department at the place I've been working for eight months have just asked me for a fifth reference; a request comes through for a new one every couple of months. I might be down to the last acceptable reference I can think of, so I'm curious to see what happens when the sixth request comes through. I'd be concerned, but apparently I'm not the only one this has been happening with  :rolleyes:

17 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I’ll give you a reference.

Would you give me one?

(see above)

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave
Works better for SP's Kenneth

17 hours ago, Jamaldo said:

Any advice?

Are you filling out an application, or just submitting your resume or other details? If the latter, the current recommendation is that you don't even mention references. It's a given that you'll be able to provide them if needed.

As for who to use - Do you know anyone in a position of relative seniority/authority at a different company? How about someone respected in your local community who could speak for you?  Do you do any volunteer work, or anything like that? The other alternative is to simply share your UserID from Pie & Bovril and let the cards fall how they may.

Are you filling out an application, or just submitting your resume or other details? If the latter, the current recommendation is that you don't even mention references. It's a given that you'll be able to provide them if needed.
As for who to use - Do you know anyone in a position of relative seniority/authority at a different company? How about someone respected in your local community who could speak for you?  Do you do any volunteer work, or anything like that? The other alternative is to simply share your UserID from Pie & Bovril and let the cards fall how they may.

Filling out an application. I have the option to have them not be contacted prior to an interview which is good I suppose. I have options but I just don't want to hassle people for this.

Another question. I converted the application from Word to OpenOffice so I could fill it in. Will they able to open the application when I e-mail it back to them? They said it had to be compatible with Microsoft Office.

19 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

Filling out an application. I have the option to have them not be contacted prior to an interview which is good I suppose. I have options but I just don't want to hassle people for this.

Another question. I converted the application from Word to OpenOffice so I could fill it in. Will they able to open the application when I e-mail it back to them? They said it had to be compatible with Microsoft Office.

Yes - but best to save it as a .doc or .docx file.

I've been jobhunting for what feels like months and I still haven't seen anything to apply for, I don't want to leave the job I'm in to go back into call centres but its looking like the only option if I want out.

The job isn't the worst but the shift times they are having me in at are mainly no use.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Four burgers made from beetroot.

Also known as 'sliced beetroot' (see pic)

It's the hottest trend since cauliflower steaks.

163588_laura_ann_f67abd2b-e01c-42c0-ba39

10 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Beetroot instead of beef?
With beef?
All beetroot?

I have so many questions.

Vegan step daughter was visiting last week, so we've got some left over. I'm afraid that's all I can add , as I won't be fùcking eating them.

Just back from my second walk in the country of the day - this bird pulled her car up beside me, and asked me if I wanted a lift up the hill - I don't think it was a euphemism.

I didn't need a lift, so said 'no, thank you'.

I'd probably be in some dungeon by now, but I sort of wish I'd just got in her car.

Stranger danger.