Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

But he's not targeting particular cats by putting out a saucer of antifreeze. Very weird behaviour. 

Also, this is a genuine question from someone who doesn't get cats. If a cat only comes to your house for food, can it really be counted as your cat? Saw you previously refer to them as outdoor cats. Surely the cat owns you in that case.

My old neighbour has 3 cats and the next house has 2 and there is another 3 or 4 that f**k around from somewhere else. They spray stuff on everything in my garden and shit anytime I plant something new. They stalk the wee birds and do that horrible yowling outside my door at night.

I hate them all with a passion. I would never poison them but if my neighbour died I would catch them in a cage and drive them miles away.

16 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I don't like cats in the house, neither does my wife. Our cats get brought in now and again and a fuss made of them and fed cat treats. The pair of them were inside for about a fortnight after the poisoning incident.

The feral stray was lifted by the Cat Society or similar, and was checked out for disease and was released outside our door on the condition we fed it, which we are happy to do (otherwise it would have been put down). 

The kitten will be getting put out once we have a collar on it and it comes to us for food.

Maybe they do own us - so what?

They keep down vermin.

We're similar - we have 4 adults at the moment and 2 1-week old kittens.  They are outdoor cats but not feral and they don't come in the house (one will if we let her).  We feed them, they sleep in our garden and come and go as they please.  We've had a dozen or more similar cats in our time here.  We also feed a few of the local feral cats.  Folk may not understand what's in it for us but they're no hassle and can be affectionate and even fun in their own strange way and, importantly around us, they keep down vermin and deter other perhaps more destructive cats.  

ETA - Do we own them or do they own us?  Honestly, that's a bit deep for what is a relatively basic relationship.

Edited by hk blues

We had an issue with a local cat crapping in our garden some years back. And a different cat used to terrorize ours and once even came in the cat flap in the middle of the night which was a traumatic experience for her.

On both occasions I threw a pint of water over the intruder and we never saw them again. 

I'm a cat lover so I didn't like doing it, but in the end it was a pretty harmless way to strongly advise unwelcome cats to get tae.

13 hours ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

My old neighbour has 3 cats and the next house has 2 and there is another 3 or 4 that f**k around from somewhere else. They spray stuff on everything in my garden and shit anytime I plant something new. They stalk the wee birds and do that horrible yowling outside my door at night.

I hate them all with a passion. I would never poison them but if my neighbour died I would catch them in a cage and drive them miles away.

Plant Holly. They might shit on it once but they won't twice 

Just back in from collecting one of the grandchildren from a birthday party.

Despite the rain, a lovely sunset over the Sperrins, the sun was just a big ball of fire, just hanging there before dropping behind the mountains.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Despite the rain, a lovely sunset over the Sperrins, the sun was just a big ball of fire, just hanging there before dropping behind the mountains.

'Twas the Same over leith last night (minus the mountains)

received_1062022074771585.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

No snow?

Went to visit my mum today. She had been clearing out cupboards and found my old report cards (from primary one to S6, every single one). My kids faces just lit up. They divided the reports between them and just started reading. 

In p4 apparently I was daydreaming in class. My 12 year old daughter wagged her finger at me, asking "why were you not working instead? Eh? Explain!" 

A whole day of getting ribbed about these. 

On 21/04/2023 at 16:07, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Diluted white vinegar sprayed around the perimeter of your garden/yard may help deter the cats. Really after rains or every few days, it should help. Also, citrus peels in the garden are effective in making cats feel unwelcome.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Went to visit my mum today. She had been clearing out cupboards and found my old report cards (from primary one to S6, every single one). My kids faces just lit up. They divided the reports between them and just started reading. 

In p4 apparently I was daydreaming in class. My 12 year old daughter wagged her finger at me, asking "why were you not working instead? Eh? Explain!" 

A whole day of getting ribbed about these. 

I remember my report cards were always full of the word competent. I thought that meant really good instead of just the bare minimum.

On 22/04/2023 at 08:16, Zetterlund said:

We had an issue with a local cat crapping in our garden some years back. And a different cat used to terrorize ours and once even came in the cat flap in the middle of the night which was a traumatic experience for her.

On both occasions I threw a pint of water over the intruder and we never saw them again. 

I'm a cat lover so I didn't like doing it, but in the end it was a pretty harmless way to strongly advise unwelcome cats to get tae.

As I live in Europe, would a litre be just as effective?