Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

That's pretty cool man. I was discussing gaelic recently, I think it's good people learn it to preserve the language. Personally I think it should be taught in all Scottish schools to some level. It obviously bares little use outside of Scotland, but I think it's good to learn to understand and become closer to our national heritage.

I met a few Welsh lassies on holiday years ago and they spoke fluent Welsh. It was pretty impressive, and I was pretty envious I couldn't speak my own celtic language.

Gaelic isn't part of Scotland's "national heritage".

Gaelic isn't part of Scotland's "national heritage".

Nah it's a West Coast thing. Which of course you won't know much about being from Greenock.

That's pretty cool man. I was discussing gaelic recently, I think it's good people learn it to preserve the language. Personally I think it should be taught in all Scottish schools to some level. It obviously bares little use outside of Scotland, but I think it's good to learn to understand and become closer to our national heritage.

I met a few Welsh lassies on holiday years ago and they spoke fluent Welsh. It was pretty impressive, and I was pretty envious I couldn't speak my own celtic language.

Why? it wasn't spoken all over Scotland

Should be pointed out that until the arrival of BBC Alba, Scotland was one of the very few nations in Europe to have all TV channels in one language, giving absolutely no exposure to different languages.

I personally think that you're more likely to learn another language if you realise English isn't everything in your day to day life, even if it's just a minor influence.

Also, if you look at Canada, there are several parts where French has never been spoken yet it has equal status as English and is taught all over the country.

Should be pointed out that until the arrival of BBC Alba, Scotland was one of the very few nations in Europe to have all TV channels in one language, giving absolutely no exposure to different languages.

I personally think that you're more likely to learn another language if you realise English isn't everything in your day to day life, even if it's just a minor influence.

Also, if you look at Canada, there are several parts where French has never been spoken yet it has equal status as English and is taught all over the country.

There are areas of Glasgow where shite is still spoken fluently.

It's clearly not just a West coast thing if I'm from Dundee/Edinburgh and I will speak it in the future. 8)

With whom? Less than 1% of the population speak Gaelic......we'd be better teaching our kids Manderin in the interests of future trade & business.

With whom? Less than 1% of the population speak Gaelic.

Aye, because a complete lack of exposure has let it dwindle over the past few decades.

I can only speak for myself here but I gave Gaelic a wee try with the Speaking Our Language thing but ended up switching my interest to developing my 'High School German'. Without the Gaelic exposure my German wouldn't be as good.

Pretty sure I've read articles in the past about how any exposure to language at a young age is beneficial. You could argue of course that you could learn something more 'useful'. However, even then you can get parents whinging when Wee Jimmy is given German lessons at primary and is thrown into a French class in S1 compared to Wee Tam who is to do German and has a head start over Jimmy. My primary school teacher genuinely had parents on her back over that btw.

Aye, because a complete lack of exposure has let it dwindle over the past few decades.

I can only speak for myself here but I gave Gaelic a wee try with the Speaking Our Language thing but ended up switching my interest to developing my 'High School German'. Without the Gaelic exposure my German wouldn't be as good.

Pretty sure I've read articles in the past about how any exposure to language at a young age is beneficial. You could argue of course that you could learn something more 'useful'. However, even then you can get parents whinging when Wee Jimmy is given German lessons at primary and is thrown into a French class in S1 compared to Wee Tam who is to do German and has a head start over Jimmy. My primary school teacher genuinely had parents on her back over that btw.

I suspect you're right about learning pretty much any language is better than none and I wouldn't dream of being a 'language Nazi' but it would probably be more beneficial to learn a mainstream language than one that is nearly dead. As I posted earlier, I toyed with the idea myself about 20 years ago to learn Gaelic and it was more laziness than anything else that stopped me but I'm a 'central belter' and for me to get all misty eyed about Gaelic is a bit false, historically my part of the world never spoke it so personally I feel as if it would be a bit 'tartan bullshit' but each to their own and good luck to anyone who does want to learn it.

I do like the idea of learning the swearwords, you can never have too many of those in your vocabulary. :thumsup2

My follow on point would be that you wouldn't really want primary schools to cover either of the current favourites (German & French) unless they ditch one or the other at high school as it would surely be chaotic with everyone wanting to continue the one which they've started. Gaelic as a language native to Scotland and a (potential) national* language would be a decent neutral one to kick off with imo. I'm aware that there is indeed an SQA Gaelic qualification but very few schools cover it for it to be a major issue.

*before VT jumps in again, National in the way that French is a national language across the whole of Canada despite it historically being limited to certain parts, just as Gaelic was in Scotland.

Eta: Gaelic would also be a good choice as we have an existing Gaelic channel which folk can use to top up and revise what they've learned. Without exposure people just forget, partly why our average ability to speak anything other than English is abysmal due to a complete absence of French / German media material. Something needs to change.

Edited by Hedgecutter