Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Might sound a horrible or morbid thing to say, but seeing as I don't get to see my grandparents who are both in their 90s very often, I get saddened leaving and saying bye to them knowing that there's a serious risk that it could be the last time I see both of them. It saddens me. :(

I had a dream last night in which Philpy appeared with a selection of bottled ales under one arm and a section of his mottled kitchen worktop under the other.

And he called me Alice.

Oi! My worktop is clean now. and worringly, my mum is called Alice...

Guest The Phoenix

Oi! My worktop is clean now. and worringly, my mum is called Alice...

Worringly?

Surely it would be more worrying if she was called Bert?

Not an exaggeration: I genuinely think the last time I was in Glasgow where it DIDN'T rain was over a year ago (maybe even two!). I pass through on average once a month.

Wasn't here during this summer's dry spell mind - or was that why it was dry? [ghostly woooooooh] :unsure:

Edited by Hedgecutter

That's pretty cool man. I was discussing gaelic recently, I think it's good people learn it to preserve the language. Personally I think it should be taught in all Scottish schools to some level. It obviously bares little use outside of Scotland, but I think it's good to learn to understand and become closer to our national heritage.

I met a few Welsh lassies on holiday years ago and they spoke fluent Welsh. It was pretty impressive, and I was pretty envious I couldn't speak my own celtic language.

Gaelic isn't part of Scotland's "national heritage".

Gaelic isn't part of Scotland's "national heritage".

Nah it's a West Coast thing. Which of course you won't know much about being from Greenock.

That's pretty cool man. I was discussing gaelic recently, I think it's good people learn it to preserve the language. Personally I think it should be taught in all Scottish schools to some level. It obviously bares little use outside of Scotland, but I think it's good to learn to understand and become closer to our national heritage.

I met a few Welsh lassies on holiday years ago and they spoke fluent Welsh. It was pretty impressive, and I was pretty envious I couldn't speak my own celtic language.

Why? it wasn't spoken all over Scotland

Should be pointed out that until the arrival of BBC Alba, Scotland was one of the very few nations in Europe to have all TV channels in one language, giving absolutely no exposure to different languages.

I personally think that you're more likely to learn another language if you realise English isn't everything in your day to day life, even if it's just a minor influence.

Also, if you look at Canada, there are several parts where French has never been spoken yet it has equal status as English and is taught all over the country.

Should be pointed out that until the arrival of BBC Alba, Scotland was one of the very few nations in Europe to have all TV channels in one language, giving absolutely no exposure to different languages.

I personally think that you're more likely to learn another language if you realise English isn't everything in your day to day life, even if it's just a minor influence.

Also, if you look at Canada, there are several parts where French has never been spoken yet it has equal status as English and is taught all over the country.

There are areas of Glasgow where shite is still spoken fluently.

It's clearly not just a West coast thing if I'm from Dundee/Edinburgh and I will speak it in the future. 8)

With whom? Less than 1% of the population speak Gaelic......we'd be better teaching our kids Manderin in the interests of future trade & business.