Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

Going public is one of the stupidest things you can do - I'm certain the ones who come forward are doing it as a giruy to particular individuals who have wronged them in the past.

An article on Business Insider citing quotes from previous winners who went public says they did it as they felt it would have been impossible to remain anonymous as people would start asking questions of your sudden wealth, meaning you'd either need to lie or start telling folk and from there it would spread anyway.

I wouldn't lie to my family, friends or work, I'd tell them the truth, but I'd still avoid a public press conference in the national news. My bidness is my bidness after all.

I think also the shock of it all would play a part as well and when asked if they wanted to go public they would be so over the moon they wouldn't think straight. Bet most of them regret it once reality kicks in as strangers would start contacting them with sob stories and people would recognise you in public and expect hand outs. It's a pretty poisonous thing tbh.

I could quite easily disappear and start living the millionaire life with only a handful of people noticing but there are certain individuals who I don't think I will ever shake off who would genuinely expect me to hand them over money because they knew me when I was younger.

I think also the shock of it all would play a part as well and when asked if they wanted to go public they would be so over the moon they wouldn't think straight. Bet most of them regret it once reality kicks in as strangers would start contacting them with sob stories and people would recognise you in public and expect hand outs. It's a pretty poisonous thing tbh.

I could quite easily disappear and start living the millionaire life with only a handful of people noticing but there are certain individuals who I don't think I will ever shake off who would genuinely expect me to hand them over money because they knew me when I was younger.

Aye that's a point. Imagine how shite it would be having total strangers from around the country sending you begging letters describing how little Courtney needs a new face and your generosity could change her life and shite like that. I'd have a great time replying to them all with a gift voucher for £1 that's redeemable at WHSmith.

Aye that's a point. Imagine how shite it would be having total strangers from around the country sending you begging letters describing how little Courtney needs a new face and your generosity could change her life and shite like that. I'd have a great time replying to them all with a gift voucher for £1 that's redeemable at WHSmith.

Or B&Q would be funnier.

Btw what's wrong with fucking off on a cruise?

Grimbo (cruise type idiot)

Or B&Q would be funnier.

Btw what's wrong with fucking off on a cruise?

Grimbo (cruise type idiot)

Purely personal, but I just feel it's a really predictable thing to say when the press hold a mic up to you and ask how you'll spend your winnings. No-one ever says "Well I'll tell my boss to f**k off, burn my ugly house to the ground, buy all the houses in my street and turf the residents out as I hate my neighbours and do all the coke that Colombia can produce. Cheers!".

You give yourself time to get your shit in order, get over the initial shock/scenes, get a lawyer, financial planner, get everything mapped out, thought through, safety nets put in place, strategy to deal with the inevitable moochers that crawl out of the woodwork, strategy for dealing with family and friendships, etc.

Financial panther, eh?

HyJ6c9a.gif

Edited by Smurph

Im not sure quite how bad it would actually be but i did hear from someone who claimed to know the Weirs who said they regretted going public for the countless people contacting them with sob stories. I personally would feel quite guilty and fear that people i know and like would be expecting hand outs and i wouldnt know when to stop and would get to the point of isolation and being hated.

Doubt it would quite be as bad as that though but you can tell i have spent time thinking about it!

You are, coincidentally enough, one of the biggest idiots on this site, so I guess it's appropriate that you tried to have a dig at me by neglecting to quote the part of my post where I said "cash it in and work out the details while you wait for it to clear", not simply "don't bother to strategise!".

Fanny.

:lol:

Rough morning, chief?

I think, especially for amounts as large as 32 million, that Camelot has financial planning and lawyers and stuff that the winners can use. I'd assume 99% of people winning that amount have absolutely no experience with that sort of money, so to just hand it out with no subsequent service to make sure they don't ruin themselves within six months would be a bit... foolish.

Also, not a chance I'd go public. If anyone asked how I was suddenly rich: internet millionaire. Easy.

I think, especially for amounts as large as 32 million, that Camelot has financial planning and lawyers and stuff that the winners can use. I'd assume 99% of people winning that amount have absolutely no experience with that sort of money, so to just hand it out with no subsequent service to make sure they don't ruin themselves within six months would be a bit... foolish.

Also, not a chance I'd go public. If anyone asked how I was suddenly rich: internet millionaire. Easy.

Anything over £500k Camelot offer automatic legal, financial, media and planning help.

Anything over £500k Camelot offer automatic legal, financial, media and planning help.

SP, you'd either be belting on pointless or you've cracked £500,000+ on the lotto, how do I claim my £1 WHS voucher?

Grimbo

Edited by Grim O'Grady

I reckon winning an amount like £32m would be no problem to deal with...that's at least £13k a week interest alone if you stick it in the Nationwide for example. If you can't live off that then give the money to someone who would enjoy it.

No, the challenge would be winning something like £2m - not enough to go fucking crazy but too much to hide, and with the same amounts of hangers on you'd get with a much higher amount.

Do you still get all the money if you don't go public?

Somebody told me you don't, and as I have never and will never play the lottery, I had no reason to disbelieve them.

I suspect they were talking shite though.

They were absolutely talking shite :lol:

They also ask how much cash you want withdrawn for the celebration.